PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Purchased Music Playlist?

sethypoo
Nov 18, 2003, 10:56 PM
So, who has the biggest purchased music playlist?

I have a total of 77 songs so far (as of 11-18-03), and very proud. I am totally LimeWire free now.

And, just for curiosity's sake, about how often do people purchase here?

I buy about 2 songs a week, give or take.

Flowbee
Nov 18, 2003, 11:17 PM
Ok, I hate to admit it... 148 songs. Most of them as albums.

tazo
Nov 18, 2003, 11:17 PM
I have purchased 3 songs from the iTMS, although I may be buying like 15-30 songs soon...

crainial77
Nov 18, 2003, 11:31 PM
as soon as the pepsi promo starts, watch out! none of my naive friends know anything about it so I will scour them for their bottle caps! All a bunch of freeloaders.... all the better for me!

jbembe
Nov 19, 2003, 12:16 AM
52 songs

I can't remember exactly how long the iTMS has been open so I can't calculate my average.

I just bought the Cash EP for the box set I can't wait to get my hands on (If you care)!

Wait, since my first purchase (Dylan's exclusive songs) was April 28, then I'm about 2 songs a week.

D0ct0rteeth
Nov 19, 2003, 01:12 AM
I have spent probably 200 bucks on myself, and another 100 on sending gift certificates for my international iTunes lovers.

Best thing since pie, baby :)

- Doc

sethypoo
Nov 19, 2003, 01:14 AM
My first song was "Scientist" by Coldplay. Great track.

pivo6
Nov 19, 2003, 06:53 AM
3 individual songs plus 1 album equal a grand total of 15 songs. Probably near the bottom of most users here.

eyelikeart
Nov 19, 2003, 09:30 AM
I've got 133 songs so far. I've purchased most of them as albums though. I'm too lazy at the moment to go back & actually do that math. ;)

MattG
Nov 19, 2003, 02:43 PM
Well, so far I've got everyone beat. Assuming my iPod is correct, I have 223 songs in my "Purchased Music" playlist.

sethypoo
Nov 19, 2003, 03:54 PM
Wow.

Kudos!

SeaFox
Nov 20, 2003, 03:27 AM
Only 4 songs. I'd buy more, but I'm unemployed.

I have a bunch of songs I plan to replace with legitimate copies once I have money flowing in again.

sketchy
Nov 20, 2003, 12:08 PM
my wife and I have 312 songs from iTMS -- A whole lot of albums in there

SeaFox
Nov 21, 2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by crainial77
as soon as the pepsi promo starts, watch out! none of my naive friends know anything about it so I will scour them for their bottle caps! All a bunch of freeloaders.... all the better for me!

I have to note the hipocracy here.

You say you're going to take the free songs your "naive friends" win, and then you call them freeloaders?

sethypoo
Nov 21, 2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by sketchy

Wow.

Children, we can all learn from sketchy and his wife.

:) :rolleyes: :D

Dangerboy
Nov 21, 2003, 05:18 AM
282. And rising.

sethypoo
Nov 21, 2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Dangerboy
282. And rising.

Nevermind, children, we can all learn from Dangerboy!

I am a student at the moment, so I buy at the rate of 1-2 songs max a week. Money is scarce while it college, I"ve found.

:) :rolleyes: :D

FlamDrag
Nov 21, 2003, 12:02 PM
96 - 1 album.

I've spent more money on music since iTMS debuted than in the previous 6 years.

zim
Nov 22, 2003, 11:48 AM

Just curious, how do you and your wife manage the purchases, do you share an account? or do you buy duplicates? My wife and I have been sharing an account, 47 songs so far, I would be interested to know how other couples, married or not, are using the iTMS.

sethypoo
Nov 22, 2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by zim
Just curious, how do you and your wife manage the purchases, do you share an account? or do you buy duplicates? My wife and I have been sharing an account, 47 songs so far, I would be interested to know how other couples, married or not, are using the iTMS.

I'm not married, nor do my girlfriend and I live together, but she has iTMS for windows, and I have it for my Mac, but we share our music between our two computers by transferring it over iChat/AOL chat servers. Both our computers are authorized to play the other's music. Also, she has an account here on my Mac, which is set up through iTMS with her credit card to buy music.

I don't know if this answers your question zim, but it's a way a unmarried couple does it. :)

Edited for clarity's sake.

zim
Nov 22, 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
I'm not married, nor do my girlfriend and I live together, but she has iTMS for windows, and I have it for my Mac, but we share our music between our two computers by transferring it over iChat/AOL chat servers. Both our computers are authorized to play the other's music. Also, she has an account here on my Mac, which is set up through iTMS with her credit card to buy music.

I don't know if this answers your question zim, but it's a way a unmarried couple does it. :)

Edited for clarity's sake.

So, do you each have your own account name? humm, are we able to have multiple accounts authorized on the same machine at the same time? I should go do some reading. Currently we are just using my account and buying, which works for us but say if we had a party and someone brought over some tunes, it would nice to be able to have multiple accounts accessible on the system at once.

You did answer my question, I am just curious how others are using iTMS in situations that involve people who happen do be a part of one another lives, regardless as to where they live or what their status is.

Thanks.

theipodgod16
Nov 22, 2003, 06:00 PM
23 songs. Considering i'm a student with no income, thats pretty good, especially since im the only kid in HS who cares to pay for music. I still prefer to run down to my local record shop and pick up used albums for less than $5. :)

Dangerboy
Nov 22, 2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by theipodgod16
23 songs. Considering i'm a student with no income, thats pretty good, especially since im the only kid in HS who cares to pay for music. I still prefer to run down to my local record shop and pick up used albums for less than $5. :)

For the albums I know I want to keep around, I usually buy used as well. I like the fact that I have an uncompressed source to compress from, in case some other audio compression format comes around. I'm sure that in 10 years there's going to be something better that takes up less space -- or storage costs will plummet so much that I can keep my music collection uncompressed.

But for stuff that I'm not too sure about, or stuff that I just want to have in my collection, I d/l it from iTMS.

Maxwell Edison
Nov 23, 2003, 11:36 AM
132 so far and I average 2-4 per week. This is a huge amount considering that prior to the iTMS I hadn't bought any music in the last 6-7 years.

joeyjojoe
Nov 23, 2003, 01:02 PM
quick question. i'm not raining on your parade or anything, i'm just curious.

for those of you buying albums off itunes, why wouldn't you just go out and purchase the cd, and then rip it yourselves? then you get a fancy hardcopy also.

jbembe
Nov 23, 2003, 04:53 PM
that's the way i do it.

only songs that I couldn't possibly justify an entire album for (or the exclusives) come from iTMS.

Dangerboy
Nov 23, 2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by joeyjojoe

for those of you buying albums off itunes, why wouldn't you just go out and purchase the cd, and then rip it yourselves? then you get a fancy hardcopy also.

Like I said, if it's something that I know I'll want down the line, I pick it up on disc. I can't imagine, for example, d/l all my Massive Attack tracks off of iTMS or that 10-disc Billie Holiday box set.

But if it's a track I want find out if I like it, I'll download it, or if it's something that's obscure and hard to find (I usually buy used CDs), I'll d/l it.

El Dandy
Nov 23, 2003, 06:11 PM
I have 18, I would have more, but I don't download full albums, there's still something about buying a CD and physically having it that does something for me.

howard
Nov 24, 2003, 12:08 AM
only 2 ...

yeah...during the mcy d's and pepsi promos i'll increase that i'm sure...and as soon as apple gets there butts in gear about signing more and more indie labels...

come on jade tree!!!

SeaFox
Nov 24, 2003, 01:08 PM
Okay, I'm at 12 now! :D

I bought eight tracks last night, some electronic, and four trcaks from the Charlie Brown Christmas album (gotta get more in the holiday spirit). :)

sethypoo
Nov 24, 2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by El Dandy
I have 18, I would have more, but I don't download full albums, there's still something about buying a CD and physically having it that does something for me.

Totally! I just wrote a little piece for a forum here called "My First CD." Search under that and you could read it (at the forum).

Just purchased a lot of Christmas music. Check out The Gloucester Wassail Song by the Waverly Consort. Talk about old school! It's a great Christmas time song. Here's a link:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=1120227&selectedItemId=1120176

sketchy
Nov 26, 2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by zim

We move it to the drop boxes before we buy . I get mine on Wedensday and she gets hers on sunday (usually) The only duplicates are when I try a song, really like it, then buy the album. and we tend to buy different stuff

Edit --

We have two different accounts

sketchy
Nov 26, 2003, 10:57 AM

I don't really need, or want a hard copy. they take up space. I have my stuff backed up on two differnet drives, and on my ipod.

Few CD's have enough stuff to make them worth keeping. We have about 1000 CD's in a closet. (used to DJ) They have not seen the light of day since we ripped them all to iTunes.

And I would have to drop more money to get the CD. My car radio is linked to my iPod, Blitzsafe connection. no tape deck for me.

zim
Nov 26, 2003, 10:59 AM
We move it to the drop boxes before we buy . I get mine on Wedensday and she gets hers on sunday (usually) The only duplicates are when I try a song, really like it, then buy the album. and we tend to buy different stuff

Do you share a single user name? or do you each have your own accounts? Currently we are sharing the same account, I do like the drop box idea, I wonder if it would be possible to have an alias of the music folder in the drop box and then have iTunes pointed at that alias as the music folder, that way everything is in sync.

sketchy
Nov 26, 2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by zim
Do you share a single user name? or do you each have your own accounts? Currently we are sharing the same account, I do like the drop box idea, I wonder if it would be possible to have an alias of the music folder in the drop box and then have iTunes pointed at that alias as the music folder, that way everything is in sync.

we each have our own .mac accounts. So we can blame eachother for awfull music selections. You can share your music with two other accounts. And you can have as many as you want on your machine. ( I think)

You can create a recent additions playlist (dynamic) and drag the folder straight to the drop box alias when the download is complete.

we share a single audible subscription for books.

Dave
---
Black is the color of my true loves hair (jaffa remix)
Nina Simone and Jaffa

Ugg
Nov 29, 2003, 11:46 PM
109 songs, about 45 singles and 5 albums

When I moved onto my boat a few years ago, I got rid of all the jewel cases and although I still have the liners I never read them so I don't miss them at all. I do burn everything to cd though as I don't have an iPod yet, although Santa may well be bringing one:D

My music purchases at the iTMS this year probably equal my total purchases of the previous 6-7 years. And I wasn't every into P2P.

MattG
Nov 30, 2003, 08:53 PM
I was bad this week and purchased like, 5 albums. Ergo, my "Purchased Music" playlist is now 269 songs long. :)

gemio17
Dec 1, 2003, 03:16 PM
69-no kidding, number 69 was Jet - are you gonna be my girl....more on the way though, I have been browsing for a half hour now, it's only a matter of time until a purchase is made....

sahnert
Dec 2, 2003, 04:28 AM

fancy hardcopy is nice, but sometimes downloading is a lot cheaper.
got a 39 song album for $9.99 on iTunes.
Won't find that in a record store.
For what it's worth I do still buy hardcopies sometimes. But I almost never use my cd player anymore it's all my computer or iPod

Java
Dec 3, 2003, 11:05 PM
About 20 songs so far, and about 18 of them are exclusive tracks. Gotta love the iTMS for that.

rwhiffen
Dec 4, 2003, 09:16 AM
I've got 305 and counting... Picked up the Barenaked Ladies album last night for that damn "Chimpanzee" song (Another Postcard) that's been rattling around in my head and won't leave. I've got a list of others I'm going to pick up later, basically every payday I spend $20 to $25. Now with great recomendations from dailytunes, I might have to bump that amount up a bit, or I'll never catch up on my list.

I prefer to buy albums on iTunes rather than picking up the physical CD. I've got way too many CD's as it is, I think I'd be headed for divorce if I continued to accrue them at the rate I'm picking up ITMS tracks. I use my iMac to play all my music, iPod when traveling, so the physical CD isn't of much value to me. Besides, when you get over 500 CD's like I have it's becomes too much of a chore keeping it all organized. I stuck them in some CD boxes from Ikea a year ago, and I've only opened them twice, once because the 'ripped' version had a skip in it, the other time to loan a CD to my mom (Old CD player that wouldn't play a burned CD-R). The only thing I miss reading the liner notes while giving the album my first listen.

Cheers,

Rich

gemio17
Dec 4, 2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by sketchy My car radio is linked to my iPod, Blitzsafe connection. no tape deck for me. [/B]

Sketchy- what is a blitzsafe connection??

Corixidae
Dec 5, 2003, 04:25 AM
26 songs, all purchased in August and nothing since. I bought 25 of them as part of two albums and the 26th as a single track.

Now I have about 200 tracks (a mix of whole albums and single tracks) in my iTMS shopping cart. Just a matter of clicking that "buy" button one of these days.

That said, it'd be nice if iTMS had a "save for later" option, like many online stores' carts have (Amazon.com being a prime example). I don't want to have to remove tracks entirely to avoid buying them, because I'll probably forget about 'em later.

I already requested that via the feedback mechanism. We'll see what happens with it.

sketchy
Dec 5, 2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by gemio17
Sketchy- what is a blitzsafe connection??
adapter list (http://blitzsafe.com/blitz_catalog/blitz_interfaces/blitz_interface_list/blitz_dvd/body_blitz_dvd.html)

This device replaces the cd changer plug in the back of the radio (2000 VW Jetta) -- The device mimicks a CD changer and tricks the radio into playing RCA-in sound. I have my iPod plugged into this, it is much better then iTrip type broadcasters and better then the tape deck option. We can also plug in the computer if we listen to DVD's on long road trips.

Dave

sethypoo
Dec 5, 2003, 10:36 AM
adapter list (http://blitzsafe.com/blitz_catalog/blitz_interfaces/blitz_interface_list/blitz_dvd/body_blitz_dvd.html)

This device replaces the cd changer plug in the back of the radio (2000 VW Jetta) -- The device mimicks a CD changer and tricks the radio into playing RCA-in sound. I have my iPod plugged into this, it is much better then iTrip type broadcasters and better then the tape deck option. We can also plug in the computer if we listen to DVD's on long road trips.

Dave

Wow, that is some valuable information. Thanks sketchy!

TrenchMouth
Dec 5, 2003, 03:53 PM
138 purchased and 14 in my shopping cart. my first buy was politik by coldplay, my last buy was an album Secret Of Elenas Tomb by ...And you will know us by the trail of dead...

NO PULSE
Dec 6, 2003, 05:04 PM

I bought a bunch when I got my iBook (early sept.) then stopped, and just recently bought 4 Albums.

SeaFox
Dec 6, 2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by TrenchMouth
138 purchased and 14 in my shopping cart. my first buy was politik by coldplay, my last buy was an album Secret Of Elenas Tomb by ...And you will know us by the trail of dead...

Oooo, how is that album? I have it on my Amazon.com wishlist and I can't remember why I added it to begin with.

But if it's on the iTMS, good. I can hear more samples.

kimz0519
Dec 7, 2003, 08:54 AM
I have 150 purchased songs. Gradually acrued since the ITS first launched. Probably 15 are Christmas songs. A couple of those are my husband's -- we share an account, but he's only wanted like 3 songs. I've had a ton of singles that I've wanted forever, but I pretty much stopped buying CDs a while ago. I got sick of throwing away so much cash to get one or two songs that I actually wanted to listen to. Plus, there are plenty of albums that I have no desire to actually own or admit owning (ie Brittney Spears) but that I'd really like a single or two off of. ITS was perfect for me. I've only bought a single album (Johnny Cash, American Recordings), but that was mainly b/c it had been out of print forever and when I saw it at the ITS I got so darn excited that I had to have it right away. How many physical CDs have I bought since ITS came out? None, zero, zip.

sethypoo
Dec 8, 2003, 01:49 AM
Hmm, check on this thread, kimz0519:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48157&highlight=My+First+sethypoo

Later!

peterjhill
Dec 8, 2003, 02:54 AM
298. I have all my music and iphotos in the shared users folder (in appropriately named subfolders) I then told iphoto and itunes where to get the music for my account and my wifes. With iTunes we both have our own playlists (completely separate). With iPhoto everything is exactly the same in both accounts.

Apple needs to do this better. As I write, I bet that when I add music it does not show up in my wife's account.

Ja Di ksw
Dec 9, 2003, 07:37 AM
Some impressive numbers out there. I have 45.

Wash!!
Dec 9, 2003, 09:10 AM
and counting this friday I will add more to the pile:D

Wash!!
Dec 9, 2003, 09:12 AM
I have 77 itms tracks and 1635 of my own collection:D

MGnards
Dec 9, 2003, 11:38 AM
ok, i think i win... as of right now... 436. I much prefer using itms for albums as opposed to buying cds... simply for the scratched cd factor... plus, as much room as all those jewel cases take up-and i can't say i ever really read the liner notes that much either... so that's why i have so many.

buying on itms from day one.

mike3k
Dec 9, 2003, 12:28 PM
I've bought 274 so far. I just made my biggest single purchase today - 29 songs, all by Johnny Clegg & Juluka.

nagromme
Dec 9, 2003, 02:44 PM
149 songs and counting.

As for why I buy whole albums from iTunes....

a) Cheaper than any store around me

b) Easier browsing and buying than any store, including used or online at Amazon

c) No gas, no shipping

d) Instant delivery!

I still buy some albums at stores--I want the liner notes, and maybe someday I'll detect a quality difference (not so far!)--but the whole experience is frustrating and I tend to walk away overcharged or, more likely, empty-handed. Shopping from home with instant delivery is nice.

itsbetteronamac
Dec 9, 2003, 03:42 PM
I am only in Jr. High, and I am really the only one who pays for there music. I have a got a few others to start paying for their music, because they are just so SO!..... and didn't even really know what p2p is. Also they think just because I do it, it is kinda cool. Well any way as of today i have 177 and since I started I have downloaded 6-7 songs a week avg.

Dippo
Dec 9, 2003, 05:24 PM
I have bought a grand total of one song!

I don't really listen to music too much, but I did want to see how easy it was to buy a song so I did.

Maybe one day I will get an iPod and things will change :)

Sailfish
Dec 18, 2003, 03:53 AM
eh, yea

sorry to blow everybody away

hmmm, well

4384 legit and one lousy radio rip (the quality convinced me to keep buying)

I think it's about 1000+ songs bought from iTMS on 56K believe it or not.
(my isp was wondering why I never log off)

The rest are new cd's, a few boxes worth.

Of that about 2430 songs of mostly are hits, I have rated every song arranged in five "radio stations" special playlists according to stress level (1-5 stars, with 0 excluded)

Very Light, Easy Listening, Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal

I have some country and alternative mixed as well.

For day to day listening, I seem to stick to a medium stress level of Rock, with a occasional time in Hard Rock (AC/DC. ZZ top etc.) or a occasional time in Easy Listening (Moody Blues, Chicago etc.), a rare Very Light (Piano music, Jazz) or Heavy Metal (Testament, Metallic etc.)

It's so nice to be able to set the mood with just the right music on demand.

I have about 200 Special playlists so I can go right to the best of each band in the Source sidebar.

By the way if you wish to see my MusicHitList or my Complete Library, just follow the link in my sig.

I'll be updating it to #3 soon as I have added just about all of Bryan Adams and Wham!

(I can't believe I bought Wham!, dam, well somebody may ask me to play it)

sketchy
Dec 18, 2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Sailfish
4384 legit and one lousy radio rip (the quality convinced me to keep buying)

I think it's about 1000+ songs bought from iTMS on 56K believe it or not.
(my isp was wondering why I never log off)

Well -- if you want to take the legit collection --

9284 songs, about 450 from iTMS. (I need a bigger iPod)

I DJ'd at a club for a while. You amass a large collection of CRAP this way. We have boxes and boxes of CD's sitting in a few closets now. Everything is ripped to our external FW drives.

If I sell the cd's but keep the music, then I am not legit anymore.. but we would have to unpack the last room first....

dave

Sailfish
Dec 18, 2003, 04:23 PM
It's very tempting to sell the originals, one could buy another iPod or even a G5 with the proceeds.

Guess one could just keep the music on the iPod and keep it in a safe spot.

Honesty is a hard business.

My garbage to good ratio is running about 44% garbage to 56% good. Getting better since iTMS came out.

Sailfish
Dec 18, 2003, 07:16 PM
Hey dave,

Would it be possible to get a copy of your complete library music list and a hit list?

Preferably in a text (tab and returned) or Appleworks spreadsheet.

I want to fill out more of my collection over time, but what I don't know hurts me.

thanks

gemio17
Dec 19, 2003, 01:32 PM
on dec. 1st I posted at 69, as of today dec. 19th I'm up to 99 thanks to the essentials lists....

sketchy
Dec 23, 2003, 08:09 AM
Hey dave,

Would it be possible to get a copy of your complete library music list and a hit list?

Preferably in a text (tab and returned) or Appleworks spreadsheet.

I want to fill out more of my collection over time, but what I don't know hurts me.

thanks

Sure -- but I need to finish my door before I get any free time.

http://homepage.mac.com/sketchy/Projects/Menu19.html

Sailfish
Dec 23, 2003, 05:21 PM
Looks like you need to build a table first,

: )

berkleebassist
Dec 26, 2003, 04:01 PM
437 songs on my purchased playlist :) Been buying since iTMS appeared, mostly albums, but occasionally singles. I'm a music student, so it's tough sometimes, but I'll skip on beer for good music :D My library has a total of 8014 as of today. I'll be adding to it with Xmas money though :)

tubedogg
Dec 27, 2003, 12:32 AM
675 iTMS tracks.

I'm still (re)ripping CDs, but it will probably land between 8k and 9k legit tracks once I finish ripping my CD collection.

Edit: 726 now [ just got a couple :o ]

SeaFox
Dec 27, 2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by tubedogg
675 iTMS tracks.

I'm still (re)ripping CDs, but it will probably land between 8k and 9k legit tracks once I finish ripping my CD collection.

Edit: 726 now [ just got a couple :o ]

49 is a couple? :eek: :D

tubedogg
Dec 27, 2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by SeaFox
49 is a couple? :eek: :D LOL

Well...they'd been sitting in my cart for a few days, finally decided to go ahead and get em. It was 4 albums and 3 tracks. So it was a "couple" on the shopping cart screen, you see, if you didn't expand the albums. :p

Kleekoh
Dec 28, 2003, 05:25 PM
I have 106 songs as of last night.

blybug
Dec 30, 2003, 11:40 PM

for real

sorry I had started a new thread on this, I did look for one cuz it seemed likely there would be one, but didn't see this.

1534 songs.

u2fan00
Dec 31, 2003, 10:48 AM
I have 222 Songs in my purchased music list. 8 albums, the rest singles. My uncle, the only other mac user in my family, has about 700. Mostly all albums. But he is wealthier than I...:(

My friend's band made it on yesterday though! So now I have some more to buy!

Check out my favorite song:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=4391221&selectedItemId=4391215

toughboy
Dec 31, 2003, 07:30 PM
Zero here...

one reason is that I live in Europe, not US...

even if I could buy songs in here, the other reason would be the price.. I wouldnt buy a song paying a dollar, its too much for a country where you can buy a whole cd of mp3 songs (160-170 songs) with 2 dollars.. I know its not legal, I dont like it too, but a dollar for a song and 200 songs for 2 dollars are not comparible at all...

jbembe
Jan 1, 2004, 12:48 AM
tough boy-

if you go to the music store with a shotgun you could get as many CDs as you can carry for free.

SOOO?

fiat lux
Jan 2, 2004, 01:18 AM
I've only bought 4 songs to date from iTMS, but my iPod is less than 2 months old. I'll add more as time goes on, but I don't have the time to spend browsing all over iTMS to find stuff. I go there for specific songs that I like enough to want to own.

(Side note - iTMS really fall down when it comes to their collection of Broadway musicals. The amount available is pathetically small.)

My tendancy over the past few years has been to download new music from various p2p networks, and then buy a CD from half.com if I thought there was enough good music on it to make owning (and ripping) the CD worthwhile. I like owning the CDs when possible - to be honest, not so much for the legal issues as because I fear the possibility of my computer going belly-up someday and me losing my entire music collection. Yes, I do make backups, but for the stuff I really like, owning the CDs is a nice extra bit of security.

Between the CD rips & the other downloads I've amassed a collection of over 2200 tunes to date. I haven't ripped all my CDs yet - but I'm getting there.

sethypoo
Jan 2, 2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by fiat lux

Between the CD rips & the other downloads I've amassed a collection of over 2200 tunes to date. I haven't ripped all my CDs yet - but I'm getting there.

Crazyness.

That's a lotta tunes, fiat.

I worry about my computer going belly up too.....I have about 530 songs total to date, and I just can't burn that many audio CD's: I have not the time or the money. Data CD's have to be read by computers, thus defeating the purpose of "backing up" your music collection. If I do ever do a major audio CD backup marathon, it will be because I want to be able to play all my music without the use of a computer.

93 in my purchased music playlist so far.

tubedogg
Jan 2, 2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo Data CD's have to be read by computers...Not necessarily - many newer CD players can read data CDs that are comprised of MP3 files.
thus defeating the purpose of "backing up" your music collection.The point of "backing up" your music collection, at least in the context of iTMS, is that if your HDD goes tits up, you have to repurchase all the songs unless you have them backed-up somewhere.

sethypoo
Jan 2, 2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by tubedogg
Not necessarily - many newer CD players can read data CDs that are comprised of MP3 files.
The point of "backing up" your music collection, at least in the context of iTMS, is that if your HDD goes tits up, you have to repurchase all the songs unless you have them backed-up somewhere.

I meant data DVD's. Sorry, I wasn't specific.

sketchy
Jan 20, 2004, 09:30 AM
Looks like you need to build a table first,

: )

Almost finished : http://homepage.mac.com/sketchy/Projects/PhotoAlbum34.html (table pic's)

dave

sethypoo
Jan 22, 2004, 02:57 PM
Almost finished : http://homepage.mac.com/sketchy/Projects/PhotoAlbum34.html (table pic's)

dave

Nice table Dave!

BTW, who has the most downloaded audio books?

I have 2, Da Vinci Code and another Dan Brown one I can't recall.

acidrock
Jan 31, 2004, 12:57 AM
I bought 302 songs so far. Though I didn't pay $302 for them, most were classical Cd's I got really cheap because they were old. The one song I want by cold play is buy album only, I'm kinda pissed because I bought several live tracks before seeing that -n

sethypoo
Jan 31, 2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by acidrock
I bought 302 songs so far. Though I didn't pay $302 for them, most were classical Cd's I got really cheap because they were old. The one song I want by cold play is buy album only, I'm kinda pissed because I bought several live tracks before seeing that -n

Yeah, the new classical stuff is great. Cheap, but great songs.

BWhaler
Feb 20, 2004, 12:29 AM
2,003 songs for me.

The fear of my hard driving crashing finally got to me and I went out and bought a la cie FW800 drive to back it all up.

I was holding off since I figured I'd just use the money to go towards a new Mac, effectively backing up the music. But it looks like I will be buying a new Mac late summer, so I bit the bullet. Losing all my music would be too depressing.

Who downloaded the $28,000 worth of music. That's what I want to know.

yahtzeen
Feb 25, 2004, 07:13 PM
I've changed computers a few times in the past year and when I moved my purchased songs from one machine to the other they no longer show up as purchased songs...now i realize this isn't a big deal but does anybody know...

1) why this is?
2) is there anything that can be done to get them back in the "Purchased Music" playlist.

By the way I have about 200 purchased but it's hard to tell because of the above mentioned problem.

The main reason I ask is that I am again going to be transferring them all to a new machine and I'm guessing none of them are going to show up as Purchased anymore.

thanks,
phil

berkleebassist
Feb 25, 2004, 07:16 PM
Ok, easiest way to find purchased music is to make a smart playlist, set it to Kind contains protected. That'll find all your "Protected AAC" files. :) Cheers!

Oh, and I'm up to 624 tunes purchased, with something like 186 tunes in my shopping cart. The iTMS NEEDS A WISHLIST! I think i'm going to start a petition.

blybug
Feb 25, 2004, 07:17 PM
You can do a search for all your "Protected AAC" files then drag them into the Purchased Music playlist. Strangely it's not really a "smart" playlist, you can actually drag anything you want in and out of it.

jbembe
Feb 25, 2004, 09:51 PM
I never thought about a shopping cart... I always think about submitting a song on this site so I can bookmark it! Brilliant.

yahtzeen
Feb 26, 2004, 01:23 PM
thnx for the help on getting my purchased music back together...not sure why i didn't think of that. I did look through the smart playlist but was looking for something like file type rather than Kind.

As far as a wishlist I am quite amazed that this wasn't a feature from the get-go. In fact everytime i've ever submitted feedback or a feature request to the iTunes team i always include wishlist. I'm sure they get 100's of requests a day for that.

I'm sure i've not bought about 10 albums so far that i've forgotten i wanted because i couldn't keep them "stored for later purchase" somewhere. i used to keep them in the cart but that doesn't work so well.

blybug
Feb 26, 2004, 01:51 PM
You could also try this little shareware program (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22236) if it's worth $9 to you.

SiliconAddict
Mar 4, 2004, 05:42 PM
487 so far. I've been replacing the songs I've downloaded online. I have a ways to go considering I have about 7,000 songs to make up for. What irks me is that there is A LOT of music that isn't available on iTunes yet. :(

rinkrat
Mar 6, 2004, 02:59 AM
I just got my iPod last week and I buy about 5 songs a day. It's so cool to be able to hear a snippet before you buy.

asif3
Mar 6, 2004, 07:44 AM
I have a purchased total of 336 songs at the moment.

I'm in London, UK, but I was soo jealous of you Americans being able to d/load legal iTunes music, I made up an address in the iTMS and I've ordered about $500 of gift certificates and bough $100 odd worth of Pepsi caps from ebay.

Now, when I download music, I feel happy becuase it's legal, reliable, and I dont feel bad for cheating artists or labels.

I download around 8 songs a day BTW. I dont like downloading albums cos there's often a load of songs that I never end up listening to and it makes my iTunes look ugly, but hey.

Anyway, enough of my rambling...

sethypoo
Mar 6, 2004, 02:44 PM
I have a purchased total of 336 songs at the moment.

I'm in London, UK, but I was soo jealous of you Americans being able to d/load legal iTunes music, I made up an address in the iTMS and I've ordered about $500 of gift certificates and bough $100 odd worth of Pepsi caps from ebay.

Now, when I download music, I feel happy becuase it's legal, reliable, and I dont feel bad for cheating artists or labels.

I download around 8 songs a day BTW. I dont like downloading albums cos there's often a load of songs that I never end up listening to and it makes my iTunes look ugly, but hey.

Anyway, enough of my rambling...

Wow! That's really great, it isn't fair that you UK guys can't download music like we can.

So after you made up this address ( in the USA, I assume), did you just have them email the gift certificates to you? Did it not matter if your credit card address was in the UK?

sethypoo
Mar 6, 2004, 02:47 PM
Ok, easiest way to find purchased music is to make a smart playlist, set it to Kind contains protected. That'll find all your "Protected AAC" files. :) Cheers!

Oh, and I'm up to 624 tunes purchased, with something like 186 tunes in my shopping cart. The iTMS NEEDS A WISHLIST! I think i'm going to start a petition.

And thanks for the info on how to put together your Purchased Music playlist! I recently had to delete my iTunes song data back when FileVault ate my system, so I lost all my playlists. That info will help. :)

sethypoo
Mar 6, 2004, 02:50 PM
2,003 songs for me.

Here's our new record.

asif3
Mar 6, 2004, 04:25 PM
Wow! That's really great, it isn't fair that you UK guys can't download music like we can.

So after you made up this address ( in the USA, I assume), did you just have them email the gift certificates to you? Did it not matter if your credit card address was in the UK?

Hiya,

Once I had made up the address, I bough gift certificates from iTunesgiftcertificate.com - and I paid via PayPal. Very easy... :)

sethypoo
Apr 23, 2004, 11:51 AM
I'm up to 110 songs. I've really slowed down my buying frequency. :)

mgargan1
Apr 23, 2004, 10:06 PM
289, yea not as much as a lot of you, but that's a lot to me...

arkcitykid
Apr 25, 2004, 07:24 AM
I have currently 170 in my purchased folder, but I have bought over 200 but some managed to merge in my library!

confirmed
May 25, 2004, 12:32 AM
2,003 songs for me.

phew.. now i feel much better about my 1014 purchased songs. i didn't really think this was that much until i started reading this thread.. i'm just happy there's at least one person who's bought more than me.

thank you bwhaler!

:)

howard
Aug 15, 2004, 02:59 PM
Hiya,

Once I had made up the address, I bough gift certificates from iTunesgiftcertificate.com - and I paid via PayPal. Very easy... :)

is this site still up anywhere? i can't find it but i would love to buy music through paypal!!

btw: i'm up to 75 songs, most of which are from gift certificates i've recieved

iLikeMyiMac
Aug 15, 2004, 03:52 PM
163 Songs, 10.8 hours, 661.8 Mb
I usually buy 1 or 2 every other day. The iMix playlists really make it wasy for me to find new music. :D

CTPorter
Aug 16, 2004, 11:29 PM
phew.. now i feel much better about my 1014 purchased songs. i didn't really think this was that much until i started reading this thread.. i'm just happy there's at least one person who's bought more than me.

thank you bwhaler!

:)

This thread made me curious about a couple of things, first of course, how many songs have I purchased, and then how much have I paid. Since buying full albums is generally a better deal on a per song basis I wondered how I have fared. Turns out I buy many more singles than full albums. I have 687 songs purchased and paid almost $660 (includes taxes) for them.