Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TESEV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
New Orleans, LA
This is a phenomenon that I have experienced on a Blue & White G3 and a Gigabit G4, and in OS 9 and OS X: Whenever the hard disk spins down, the mac goes really slow even after it spins back up. I have to set the Energy Saver settings to keep the HD and computer from going to sleep (same result when computer goes to sleep). The problem is only fixed after I restart the machine. Same result with different hard drives as far as I can tell. Does anybody else have any experience with this or any additional explanation?

spiderider

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2013
Oh Yeah!

I have a number of macs. I don't think I experience the problem on my Intel macs, but my G5 and an older laptop are VERY slow after going to sleep. They often don't even keep up with my typing. There are long lapses in the letters catching up on screen compared to my keystrokes. Often get a spinning ball. There is a delay of a second to a few seconds in just about every function.

I've tried using DiskUtility to repair permissions. There is nothing showing up as a problem with the disks. I've run DiskWarrior many times to repair everything and try to speed up the drive.

The computer works fine and fast when I turn it on, but after sleeping?... it's as if it just can't get moving. Feel that I've tried everything short of pouring a cup of coffee into the works. But I think THAT would slow things down to a stop. Permanently.

Would LOVE to know if anyone has ever solved this mysterious problem!

Thanks.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Have anyone of you have took a look at the activity monitor to see what is eating up your CPU cycles? It might be that spotlight is indexing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.