Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I checked on the internets and they said it is available on PSN... which I guess means for the American store too. I'm going to play it and report back!

edit: don't see it in the PSN store. It might be coming with the weekly may 8th update, or I might make a euro PSN id for the hell of it.

2: downloading now!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thought the demo was meh! not bad, just not great - much like I anticipated about the game tbh all along. AI is only ok. Never saw what they were drumming up in previews and the demo just confirms it for me.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Thought the demo was meh! not bad, just not great - much like I anticipated about the game tbh all along. AI is only ok. Never saw what they were drumming up in previews and the demo just confirms it for me.

I'm with you... I was kind of expecting more. I didn't get to play the multiplayer, it didn't work for me - maybe I'll try the USA demo when it gets here. I think that unless it gets glowing reviews about something other than what I have seen, I won't bother buying it. Plus I didn't think the graphics were amazing. (Jungle level).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OK let my further critic commence.

AI / enemy behavior - It's 2008 FFS What we are presented with in this demo are little more than grunt cannon fodder. Sure they fire at you, but when you can walk straight up to someone with a gun firing 15-20 shots in their chest and they do not move until they finally 'go down' and then their bodies promptly disappear circa a game from 1995 FFS it leaves a lot to be desired. They are decently animated though if that helps :rolleyes:

Graphics - Well the good news is the frame rate is consistent and fluid which is good, and likewise the graphics and textures are also consistent, unfortunately they are consistently poor. OK sacrifices had to be made to keep the frame rate up I guess, but too much sacrifices are a bad thing. Textures have little or no detail, geometry on surfaces is limited and bump mapping seems to have been reserved for the odd one or two items per hundred items with zilch! nada! nothing!... If anything the game reminded me of the Transformers jungle level on the ps2, or even Turok Evolution on PS2 / Far Cry on Xbox (not 360) in it's quality of textures. Rocks and surfaces of the exploded debris / engines are just poor washed out textures that up close look a real eye sore. Add like I say dissapearing enemys once they are killed and you are left with a game that cries 'I'm a Pretty Last Gen Game'.....

As for Co-Op (Multi Player) well like Zwhaler I have yet to experience it as all I get are error messages.

Overall then..... One of the most hyped PS3 games fails to live up to any of its promise. Halo 3 beater ? Hell this game is beaten senseless by BLACK on PS2 let alone any 360 FPS.

No doubt official PS magazines and fanboys will declare this the champion of the FPS ring and that the PS finally has a FPS to compete with the best of them.

Personally it's basically from this demo (granted things could improve in two weeks but I highly doubt it) nothing more than just an average at best attempt - but with little originality, or anything 'special' to take it beyond the utter MEH! blandness that it clearly is.

Want a really good FPS on PS3 ? Buy Resistance : Fall of Man or Vegas 2, both are vastly superior to the sub par offering of HAZE.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Qua51 of Beyond3d now confirms Haze’s resolution to be 1024by576 with no anti-aliasing. That is, going by the demo, and there’s yet to be a difference in resolution from a game’s demo to its final release.

This is what was promised

swtg6e.jpg

and this is what after extra development time and effort we finally get

10nb4nm.jpg

Say's it all.

Oh and a close up shot of a fabulous textured rock

haze2.jpg

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
1024x576 or how it also is called PAL Plus ? again what is it with the HD consoles not having enough steam for actual HD

oh and i saw the 2. screenshot and immediately thought of Black on the Ps2 looking better .. nice to see MRU having the same thoughts just one posting high up ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
1024x576 or how it also is called PAL Plus ? again what is it with the HD consoles not having enough steam for actual HD

oh and i saw the 2. screenshot and immediately thought of Black on the Ps2 looking better .. nice to see MRU having the same thoughts just one posting high up ;)

Yeah I mean 576 ? Can you even call it HD ? 640 at least would be an improvement, and why is it mostly bar a couple of exceptions PS3 games that are having this problem ?

GTA IV, Jericho for example. At least the 360 versions were 720p, but both 576p for PS3

Even MGS4 is thought to be only be 576p too.

It's kind of disappointing really.

Oh and as for BLACK... Great minds think alike they say ;)

In fairness to HAZE, redeeming quality is the animation and cutscenes are
good and the frame-rate seems rock solid in solo play.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Yeah I mean 576 ? Can you even call it HD ? 640 at least would be an improvement, and why is it mostly bar a couple of exceptions PS3 games that are having this problem ?

GTA IV, Jericho for example. At least the 360 versions were 720p, but both 576p for PS3

Even MGS4 is thought to be only be 576p too.

It's kind of disappointing really.

i suspect it has to do with the current over-obsession with effects and that modern consoles are flat out bottlenecked by the graphics chips ... developers want to strife for the latest effects (perhaps seen in some PC game) and want to throw it in their game and thus they have to compromise .. or they overdo it with polygons which the GPU can't push if animated
and instead of optimizing for 2 months (like it was done let's say during the ps1/n64 or earlier days) at one point they simply reduce the rendering resolution until it's fluid and *blam* bring it out on the market
or of course mandatory installations if you have too many textures to load

Oh and as for BLACK... Great minds think alike they say ;)

in german it's called "2 dumme 1 gedanken" ("2 stupids 1 thought") ... which can get funny if you first say the same thing together and then also happen to say _that_ together

In fairness to HAZE, redeeming quality is the animation and cutscenes are
good and the frame-rate seems rock solid in solo play.

i would say Haze was doomed right from the beginning in terms of market positioning .. the current total over-saturation of "big dudes in armored suits" games made it to easily to lump it together with other games

and yes the new command and conquer shooter will have the same fate...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
576p would be EDTV in Pal-land. Not HD.

I haven't played yet but this game never looked special to me. It always looked and sounded like some run of the mill shooter, like a Crysis without the graphics or AI.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah I'm gonna have to side with MRU on this one... I am getting sick of being dissappointed with graphics by games. My expectations are obviously going to be high as hell after seeing all those screenshots Ubisoft and Free Radical pumped out into the internet... but the game doesn't even come close! GTA is kind of the same, but the rest of the game rocks and the graohics aren't even that bad. Honestly, the only game that I was extremely impressed by in terms of graphics is Cal of Duty 4.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
OK let my further critic commence.

AI / enemy behavior - It's 2008 FFS What we are presented with in this demo are little more than grunt cannon fodder. Sure they fire at you, but when you can walk straight up to someone with a gun firing 15-20 shots in their chest and they do not move until they finally 'go down' and then their bodies promptly disappear circa a game from 1995 FFS it leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm not any kind of HAZE defender, but I believe that enemy corpses disappearing is an element of the storyline when you play a Mantel soldier. The 'nectar' that they are fed keeps them from seeing anything unpleasant - it turns war into essentially a video game, making the world a bright, beautiful place, and removing icky things (like corpses) from perception. When playing as a rebel bodies shouldn't vanish like that.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Yeah I'm gonna have to side with MRU on this one... I am getting sick of being dissappointed with graphics by games. My expectations are obviously going to be high as hell after seeing all those screenshots Ubisoft and Free Radical pumped out into the internet... but the game doesn't even come close! GTA is kind of the same, but the rest of the game rocks and the graohics aren't even that bad. Honestly, the only game that I was extremely impressed by in terms of graphics is Cal of Duty 4.

And people still foolishly believe the current consoles are on par with current gen PCs, you can build a PC that can play every game out there at 576p for less than $500.

badlydrawn

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2007
vie, austria
Thats about the same price level as most entry level consoles - although, they were better value a year ago. But IMO PC's will always have more grunt, its always been like that, no?

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Thats about the same price level as most entry level consoles - although, they were better value a year ago. But IMO PC's will always have more grunt, its always been like that, no?

offtopic:

the difference is that a HD TV costs an aweful lot more than a good screen for a PC

and if you need a new PC anyway the extra cost of a better graphics card doesn't sting that much

badlydrawn

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2007
vie, austria
offtopic:

the difference is that a HD TV costs an aweful lot more than a good screen for a PC

and if you need a new PC anyway the extra cost of a better graphics card doesn't sting that much

Point taken, I wasn't considering the 500 Euro/$ PC had a monitor (still stuck in the 2005/6 world of PCs).

Will finish DLing Haze, hopefully the MP will work without issues. But saying that, lately I am finding western FPS way to fast to handle, maybe my reflexes are waning - hence my preferences of games such as MGSO or RBV, so my expectations of Haze are low to begin with.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Back to the topic now.....The games demo wasn't all that bad. the visuals was really average but the gameplay was cool. The OD-ing on nectar is a cool concept...I like shooting my team mate in the back and watching him go all crazy like. There seem to be a lot of good stuff in the game so until the final product is released I'm mum.

Knowing me I'll buy it anyway just for multiplayer....I quite enjoy playing online these days.

Bless

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Holy crap! I played the Haze demo and didn't really enjoy it, but I also played the Bourne demo. The demo is pretty long and it's a pretty sweet game for a movie/book based one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.