PDA

View Full Version : Help! Just heard a crack from my iBook lid!

Borjan
May 6, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hi there.

It's not all doom and gloom... yet.

Anyway, I was just using my 12inch iBook 1.33 as normal. I go to pull the lid a little more towards me when I hear what I would call a medium loud crack/creak.

I freaked out a bit, but no pieces of plastic were exploding around me, and the lid hadn't fallen off, so I breathed a sigh of relief. However, its now a day later, and I definitely can feel that the lid is a little loser. Giving units to it, I'd say that if it was at 100% stiffness before, now I'm feeling 70% stiffness to the lid at its most open and closed.

Now, obviously something has gone a bit wrong. I have Applecare (I think) on this machine still, so do you guys advise giving Apple a ring and telling them to fix my lid? Because it is (kinda) minor...

4JNA
May 6, 2008, 05:40 PM
...I have Applecare (I think) on this machine still, so do you guys advise giving Apple a ring and telling them to fix my lid?

yes. if i had to guess, the hinge/frame broke on one side or the other, and that is the cause of the sound and the new 'less stiffness' problem. i bet if you look right at the bottom of the LCD where it meets the white plastic, you will start to see the white plastic pull away from the LCD when you open the screen from closed to fully open.

with applecare, you should be covered. get it repaired ASAP as it will eventually cause more damage to cables/inverter. best of luck.