PDA

View Full Version : Screw Issues When Replacing Hard Drive in Powerbook G4

astewes
May 6, 2008, 03:55 PM
Hi,

I am in the process of replacing the hard drive in my Powerbook G4 and have run into a problem. One of the three phillips screws inside the battery compartment would not come loose, and is more or less stripped. I am wondering what the best step would be for me to take? Since it's just a very small screw, I'm hoping I can get it out manually, and not have to drill or take any action along those lines.

Suggestions?

UltraNEO*
May 6, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hi,

I am in the process of replacing the hard drive in my Powerbook G4 and have run into a problem. One of the three phillips screws inside the battery compartment would not come loose, and is more or less stripped. I am wondering what the best step would be for me to take? Since it's just a very small screw, I'm hoping I can get it out manually, and not have to drill or take any action along those lines.

Suggestions?

I'm assuming it's a PowerBook 17?
Try SuperGluing the screw-driver into the screw allow the glue to set/dry before you consider using it - you might have to work with it a bit...

redsquash
May 14, 2008, 10:43 AM
I'm assuming it's a PowerBook 17?
Try SuperGluing the screw-driver into the screw allow the glue to set/dry before you consider using it - you might have to work with it a bit...

Did that trick work?Too much glue and the screw may be stuck to the casing!! Though it sounds like an excellent idea

e12a
May 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
its a good idea. I've heard of auto mechanics doing that to bolts they've stripped (welding).