PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Event on November 28th, 2003

MacRumors
Nov 19, 2003, 03:40 AM
As previously hinted (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031112130651.shtml), Apple is planning a Special in-Store Event on Friday, November 28th.

The Music oriented in-Store event is aimed to take advantage of the post-Thanksgiving shopping season and will offer significant deals and iPod giveaways to customers.

Special Items to be offered to customers during the event include iTunes Software CDs, as well as the sale of physical iTunes Gift Certificates. Of particular interest, Apple has previously offered (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031024031755.shtml) 10% discounts at their previous Panther events, and will be repeating this offer on the sale of iPods at the event.

Macmaniac
Nov 19, 2003, 05:43 AM
They should slash iPod prices to sell more during the holidays, the iPods are still just slightly to expensive for the normal holiday shopper like $250 or $225 would be a nice base price.

pkradd
Nov 19, 2003, 06:56 AM
iPods are selling very well at the current prices so why slash them. If the market showed that sales were slowing, then of course Apple would come out with new ones and the old models would be discounted. But it ain't happening. Next subject.:)

Sabenth
Nov 19, 2003, 07:03 AM
The day i see a $200au iPod is the day i buy one .. til that day comes no iPod

and thats australian dollars

1macker1
Nov 19, 2003, 07:11 AM
If the iPods goes down to 200 bucks, i'll get 2,one for me and one for my brother.

the_mole1314
Nov 19, 2003, 07:23 AM
I think we'll see some new stuff too, I really like the idea of physical iTunes Certificates.

ITR 81
Nov 19, 2003, 07:24 AM
Physical gift certificates for iTunes..is something all Apple Stores have been asking for. I hope Apple continues to sell them through the store not just for this event only.

Also what is on the iTunes software CD? Is this some sort of add on because it seems odd to over the software in CD for when it can be DL for free. Or could this be the new iTunes 5??

Icekey
Nov 19, 2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Sabenth

At the current rate you might see one :P

the_mole1314
Nov 19, 2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Physical gift certificates for iTunes..is something all Apple Stores have been asking for. I hope Apple continues to sell them through the store not just for this event only.

Also what is on the iTunes software CD? Is this some sort of add on because it seems odd to over the software in CD for when it can be DL for free. Or could this be the new iTunes 5??

No, probably people will install software if given a CD at a store, rather than be told 'download at home then install' at the store! Plus, mabey some free songs will be on there, who knows?

gwuMACaddict
Nov 19, 2003, 07:48 AM
i'm telling you, cheaper ipod for the holidays to compete with dell and everyone else

jayscheuerle
Nov 19, 2003, 07:48 AM
Mac Friday?

KLFloyd
Nov 19, 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81

Apple already has individual CD's made with iTunes and the music store. I just found one in an eMac box I opened and setup a week or two ago. Kinda surprised me.

I think free physical CD's are a great idea. If you have a slower connection you may not want to download the file. And, a lot of people are just more comfortable installing a CD. It's a lot less hassle than going to a website, waiting for something to Download, then install it on your computer. I think it makes perfect sense, if you're going to give someone an iTMS gift card and you know they don't have iTunes, then give them the CD as well saves a lot of time and hassle on the part of the recipient.

Also, I think physical iTMS gift cards are a MUST. They need to be available not only from apple stores but also online (with free USPS standard shipping, come on Apple it's only $0.37) and available for purchase at stores that sell the iPod such as Target and BestBuy. Get those physical gift certificates out there in mass quantities bundled with a iTMS CD and they'll sell. Heck, I've got 3 people on my list right now I'd buy them for.

Foxer
Nov 19, 2003, 08:43 AM
Does anyone know if the 10% in store discount can be combined with the edu discount?

ITR 81
Nov 19, 2003, 09:00 AM
Probably not..but I'm sure someone will know before the end of this week is up.

mainstreetmark
Nov 19, 2003, 09:12 AM
Wow - I'll be in Chicago that day and already in possession of my new iPod that was supposed to ship last friday.. I'll probably win one. :)

blueBomber
Nov 19, 2003, 09:19 AM
I understand Apple is currently selling alot of ipods at the highest price the market will bare. But the magic price point they should be shooting for is $199.99, look what it did for sales of console systems. Now it would be nice if they pulled a Nintendo and surprised everyone by lowering the price to $99, but that's not going to happen.

trrosen
Nov 19, 2003, 09:45 AM
hmm a large price drop would dramaticly increase sales...possibly why the manufacturer announced they were going to DOUBLE the production of the 1.8 inch drive in the iPod...very interesting

I think there's more though an instore event just for a price drop doesn't seem right.:)

Photorun
Nov 19, 2003, 10:22 AM
Agreed with poster above this post (or two above), disagree with poster way up thread with wrong logic. Sure they may be selling well but cut prices and they'll sell even BETTER! In all likelihood more than making up for the price cut into the already enormous profit margin (regardless of Job's comment, a lie, they're making a mind on them). It's better also to proliferate the market sometimes, get the word out there in the form of units sold.

jcshas
Nov 19, 2003, 10:29 AM
I think it will be free ITMS song giveaways or ITMS gift certificates with the purchase of an iPod.

GrannySmith_G5
Nov 19, 2003, 10:38 AM
I hope they serve corn chowder at the stores.

gwangung
Nov 19, 2003, 10:55 AM
Agreed with poster above this post (or two above), disagree with poster way up thread with wrong logic. Sure they may be selling well but cut prices and they'll sell even BETTER!

More business geniuses. Now is NOT the time to do this. Wait until there's a little softness in the demand side...otherwise you leave money on the table, since you're selling all that you make [key point that last one]

KLFloyd
Nov 19, 2003, 10:58 AM
I've been thinking about this off and on all day. Though I too believe that Apple would benefit overall from a price drop. If they could at least get the price of a basic model iPod down to $199 (or heck what about a 5gb model for $149) then they will move a lot of iPods this holiday season.

New portable music players are coming out all the time and while he iPod is still the most popular out there they need to gobble up all the market share they can. The more iPods there are on the market the more potential iTMS users there will be and the more potential switchers we'll have out there.

Bottom line, if Apple can cut their profit margin slightly (I'm by no means saying sell the iPod for a loss) and dramatically increase the number of iPods out there in the hands of consumers in the long run it will be a plus for the company.

Foxer
Nov 19, 2003, 11:06 AM
I agree that cutting the prices of a product that is currently a fast seller would be a very poor business decision. I also agree that there is an "entry-level" market out of which Apple currently has priced themselves. I think, therefore, that rather than cutting prices on current line, bring back the 5GB at a deep discount price, maybe as low as $99. That wouldn't affect sales of the current line, and get a number of "new" consumers into the prodcut line and who can be "handed-up" the chain in a year or two when they outgrow the device.

Get people assocaited with the brand, that is the bottom line.

Java
Nov 19, 2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by GrannySmith_G5
I hope they serve corn chowder at the stores. If it was up to Steve, we'd see some Naked fruit drinks.

This will be sweet. I'll be close to the UTC Apple Store in California. I wonder how early I should get there?

scat999999
Nov 19, 2003, 11:33 AM
1,000 songs are plenty for me.

Originally posted by 1macker1
If the iPods goes down to 200 bucks, i'll get 2,one for me and one for my brother.

Dippo
Nov 19, 2003, 11:38 AM
They give away so free songs with the iPod, or even a free download with registration. As soon as people see how easy it is, they will want to use it more!

scat999999
Nov 19, 2003, 11:39 AM
or they get a lot of pressure from Windows based online music stores that are compatable with other MP3 players. It might eventually get like cell phones, where the companies practically give you the phones for free knowing they are going to make it up on the service. Selling them now at high prices may just be an example of "gather ye rosebuds while ye may." ;)

Originally posted by blueBomber
I understand Apple is currently selling alot of ipods at the highest price the market will bare. But the magic price point they should be shooting for is $199.99, look what it did for sales of console systems. Now it would be nice if they pulled a Nintendo and surprised everyone by lowering the price to $99, but that's not going to happen. :D

diehldun
Nov 19, 2003, 11:45 AM
i was hoping that the 10% will include computers, not just iPod's. If the discount goes towards computers, then I will pick up my Powerbook 17" on Friday. $300 off a Powerbook 17 is pretty nice. (not to mention a great birthday present!!)

so will it include computers or just iPod's??????

sethypoo
Nov 19, 2003, 11:52 AM
This week's US News and World Report has an ad on the back cover for the new *cough* original *COUGH* Dell DJ (underbreath: iPod rip off!) Media Player.

I hope Apple can get more ads out there, before Dell saturates the market with them. This one caught my eye: it was just such a glaring rip off.

I'll be at the Arden Fair store! What time should I get there?

:) :rolleyes: :D

Knute5
Nov 19, 2003, 11:53 AM
Rather than drop prices on iPods, I think Apple should bundle $20, $30 and $50 gift certificates at the ITMS. It keeps the perceived value of the iPod, but increases its actual value for users. Once they ultimately drop prices, it's near impossible to bring them back up. Apple's challenge is to keep providing value that equals $299, $399 and $499.

They may have to scale these prices back a bit as more competition emerges, but it's just smart to milk the opportunity they currently have as long as possible, so long as they don't abuse it. Obviously everybody has a different opinion about whether or not they've done so.

Apple doesn't enjoy MS' volume of sales, and Wall Street is constantly on Jobs' case (check out the latest Forbes article about Apple "running out of steam") so I don't begrudge Steve making sound business decisions, even if that makes them seem like cold capitalists, versus the happy technohippies many of us would like them to be.

sethypoo
Nov 19, 2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by diehldun
i was hoping that the 10% will include computers, not just iPod's. If the discount goes towards computers, then I will pick up my Powerbook 17" on Friday. $300 off a Powerbook 17 is pretty nice. (not to mention a great birthday present!!)

so will it include computers or just iPod's??????

It should include everything: Apple shouldn't expect people to just buy iPods for the holidays, a good number of consumers probably want to buy computers too, and a 10% discount would be more than enough impetus for some.

SiliconAddict
Nov 19, 2003, 12:00 PM
Ya know at this point I donít care what happens at this event as long as it entrenches iTunes and iTMS onto the Windows platform. Iím honestly nervous about MS making their debut with a music store next year. Appleís only hope is to:
1. Sell more iPods then ever before. (Get into a nice and comfy position with a 50% market share.)
2. Get iTunes firmly entrenched as THE media player for Windows. (Unfortunately with iTunes lacking WMA support people will still use that OTHER media player which isnít a good thing.

Jobs can do a jig on stage for all I care as long as it increases sales. God willing it will be late summer before Microsoft is ready to roll this out and by that time, knock on wood, iTunes 5 should be out along with a steam roller add campaign from Apple.

diehldun
Nov 19, 2003, 12:01 PM
will the sale start on friday morning when the Apple Store opens? I want to get there early so i can ask all the questions i want not in a hurry, and can open my powerbook there so that I can set it all up.

i have heard that it gets very busy, and that people actually line up outside the store before it opens-- is this true? if i recall, before panther was released, there was a carnival-like atmosphere outside, with literally almost 100 people outside. will it get this crazy on Friday?????????????????????

the_mole1314
Nov 19, 2003, 12:40 PM
I doubt we'll see iTunes 5 for a LONG time.

pkradd
Nov 19, 2003, 12:59 PM
Apple purportedly is selling every iPod they can make (well, have made for them) so why reduce prices at this point. I think we'll see a lower price AFTER the first of the year.

Now, about rumors of a $749 Device posted elsewhere. Perhaps it will be introduced at the November 28 store festivities.

Maybe it's a DJ iPod!!

MongoTheGeek
Nov 19, 2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by gwangung
More business geniuses. Now is NOT the time to do this. Wait until there's a little softness in the demand side...otherwise you leave money on the table, since you're selling all that you make [key point that last one]

There was an Experimental Economist at UR that studied monopolies and price controls along these lines. The market revolts. Its astonishing to watch, a huge collective cutting off of the nose to spite the face.

Yes if they cut it too much they leave money on the table. They also don't get the money as fast and money today is worth more than money tomorrow.

Finally Pigs get fed; Hogs get slaughtered.

What I think will happen is modest price cut. What Apples long term goal probably is is to get the RIAA hooked on the profit stream and then get them to cut royalties. When that happens the price of iPods will crater.

contempt
Nov 19, 2003, 01:29 PM
What I'm surprised they haven't done yet is an iPod/iTunes Store joint promotion. Now that they have the gift certificates up and running, each iPod also gets you a $20 credit to the iTunes store. It's perfect. That's the event, besides this mystery item.

Foxer
Nov 19, 2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by MongoTheGeek
There was an Experimental Economist at UR that studied monopolies and price controls along these lines. The market revolts. Its astonishing to watch, a huge collective cutting off of the nose to spite the face.

But Apple is neither a monopolist or price fixing. (Speaking only of the MP3 player market.) There are many (viable) competitors and prices are all over the spectrum. Apple simply makes the market leader, but still owns (I beleive) less than half the market.

Apple is more akin to the upper-echelon BMW or Mercedes. They make a fabulous product that most everyone wants, but some simply can not afford. So should BMW drop the price of 7-series simply to increase sales? Of course not. Rather, they produce a 32x and sell it at an "entry-level" price and get people used to buying BMW's. Over time, THIS will sell more 5- and 7- series cars for a better profit.

So I say again, bring back the 5Gb as an "entry-level" iPod.

MacFan25
Nov 19, 2003, 02:31 PM
On the Friday after Thanksgiving, I'm sure the Apple Stores will be busy, as are almost all stores on that day. With discounts and giving away iPods, I think it will be a great way for Apple to lure some more switchers.

machan
Nov 19, 2003, 03:01 PM
i thought the 5 gig hard drives were no longer being produced by whatever company that is that makes them (toshiba?)....so it would be be impossible to bring the 5 gig ipod back. or maybe i just imagined that i read that somewhere around here a couple months ago.

Mofus
Nov 19, 2003, 03:03 PM
Diehldun wrote:

i have heard that it gets very busy, and that people actually line up outside the store before it opens-- is this true? if i recall, before panther was released, there was a carnival-like atmosphere outside, with literally almost 100 people outside. will it get this crazy on Friday?????????????????????

At the UTC store grand opening/Panther release there were easily 2000 people outside the store at 8pm waiting for the store to open. I doubt an event like this will attract that many people unless they are giving away something (dogtags) to everyone that comes to the store. A cool little iPod pin would be nice.

By the way, San Diego is so saturated with iPod advertising, you can't leave the house without seeing an ad somewhere. Is apple trying too hard for product recognition? At what point will oversaturation backfire?

itsbetteronamac
Nov 19, 2003, 03:37 PM
It's going to be all about the ipod. You buy one and you get 10% off and probably some iTMS coupons. Apple always pushes one product for the holidays, like last year was the 17inch imac, which I actually bought.

I doubt a $749 video ipod would come along with it, but you never know.

From Win to Mac
Nov 19, 2003, 03:56 PM
iTMS Canada/International will be released.

And then they need some hardware announcment, since it's an in-Store event.

SiliconAddict
Nov 19, 2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by the_mole1314
I doubt we'll see iTunes 5 for a LONG time.

Next spring isn't out of the realm of possibilities. 6 month since an update? I'm thinking thereís a good possibility and IMHO I think there are a few additional features that should be added.

SiliconAddict
Nov 19, 2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by machan
i thought the 5 gig hard drives were no longer being produced by whatever company that is that makes them (toshiba?)

Nope....

contempt
Nov 19, 2003, 05:13 PM
I really like the idea of a $99 5gig iPod. Now with the ITMS, Apple needs to get more consumers to start using the service. What better way than this.

And I know lots of people, mostly mid-market, who just go to Circuit City and purchase a 128meg mp3 player because they've think it's the thing to get, where the iPod is out of their price range.

A cheap 5gig model would blow the doors off the competition and allow Apple to retain it's marketshare. Remember, that's why the WalkMan became so popular: various pricepoint models.

contempt
Nov 19, 2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
Does anyone know if the 10% in store discount can be combined with the edu discount?

No, it can not be used in combination. That was the case at the Panther launch. Use one or the other.

rdowns
Nov 19, 2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by KLFloyd
Apple already has individual CD's made with iTunes and the music store. I just found one in an eMac box I opened and setup a week or two ago. Kinda surprised me.

I think free physical CD's are a great idea. If you have a slower connection you may not want to download the file. And, a lot of people are just more comfortable installing a CD. It's a lot less hassle than going to a website, waiting for something to Download, then install it on your computer. I think it makes perfect sense, if you're going to give someone an iTMS gift card and you know they don't have iTunes, then give them the CD as well saves a lot of time and hassle on the part of the recipient.

Also, I think physical iTMS gift cards are a MUST. They need to be available not only from apple stores but also online (with free USPS standard shipping, come on Apple it's only $0.37) and available for purchase at stores that sell the iPod such as Target and BestBuy. Get those physical gift certificates out there in mass quantities bundled with a iTMS CD and they'll sell. Heck, I've got 3 people on my list right now I'd buy them for.

Would be smart to allow in-store downloading so people can try it out and see how easy it is to use. Download what you want and burn it to CD to transfer to your Mac.

Would also be nice for the dial up user.

rdowns
Nov 19, 2003, 06:53 PM
[i]So I say again, bring back the 5Gb as an "entry-level" iPod. [/B]

Doesn't make sense from a profit and loss standpoint. Let's say Apple makes 40% margins on iPod. The low end 10 GB is $299 retail or $180 cost. A 5 GB drive may lower their cost by, what, $25? So cost for a 5GB would be $155. Selling it for $99 would be a $56 loss per unit. It's not like they can sell you the razors (download songs) to make their profit.

A $99 iPod would surely canibalize sales of profitable higher capacity units. I don't see how this could work.

A $199 5GB, maybe.

A crude example but probably not so far off.

dp123
Nov 19, 2003, 06:58 PM
The HD you posted is a PC card drive. It slots into a standard PC card slot... which means its thin, but not the same, nor does it have the same dimensions as the ultra mini-HD used in the iPod.

But more importantly....

If you check www.macosxrumors.com, they point out that Apple is beginning to heavily air the iPod commercials in Europe. This I think is a sign of the Music Event's purpose. They will be launching a European iTMS service. (Well, Hopefully... Certainly not confirmation but...)

wdlove
Nov 19, 2003, 08:01 PM
I'm looking forward to the Apple Store event on the 28th, have it noted on my calendar. Agree with others, they should include all items in the discount. If it is only the iPod, I would be left out. Please Steve have the discount also cover at least software.

diehldun
Nov 20, 2003, 07:55 PM
i hope so. because i will be purchasing the PowerBook several days AFTER my birthday, and if it turns out it is just for iPod, i will be very VERY angry.:mad:

contempt
Nov 20, 2003, 08:20 PM
Have you guys seen this: Archos announced the 80gig Video Recorder. Hmmm, you think the video iPod could become a reality?

http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500570.html

Doctor Q
Nov 22, 2003, 04:51 PM
What are the current betting odds on whether no items, all items, or only audio-related items will be discounted on the 28th? If it turns out to be only audio-related items, would the iSight be included?

wdlove
Nov 22, 2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
What are the current betting odds on whether no items, all items, or only audio-related items will be discounted on the 28th? If it turns out to be only audio-related items, would the iSight be included?

I wish I knew. If Apple invites me to my local store, I will probably stop by to take a look. Our local store is only 15 minutes away.

diehldun
Nov 22, 2003, 11:56 PM
i don't believe that the Apple Store November 28th event will be by invitation; i though everyone was invited.

Still hoping 10% off everything in the store; delaying my purchase of PowerBook by 2 days because of it!:D

diehldun
Nov 23, 2003, 02:21 PM
I believe on amazon.com, they are offering a free iSight for any PowerBook purchase.

Doctor Q
Nov 23, 2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by diehldun
I believe on amazon.com, they are offering a free iSight for any PowerBook purchase. True!Buy a PowerBook computer from Amazon.com and get a free Apple iSight Webcam. Offer ends December 14, 2003.

Just add a PowerBook computer and an Apple iSight to your Shopping Cart, then enter the promotional claim code PWERBKISIGHT on the payment page when you check out. The amount of the iSight will be automatically deducted from your order.

diehldun
Nov 23, 2003, 07:43 PM
went to my local Apple Store this afternoon, and surprisingly, it was completely empty today. (the only person that came in later was an old man who was interested in the 12" and 15" PowerBook; said to me the 17" was too expensive).

i casually asked the three salespeople inside if they (or Apple) was planning for a large event or sale on the 26th or 28th. They adamently denied it, saying they had absolutley no idea.

if i recall, they also furiously denied the arrival of the 17" PowerBook earlier this year.

so i wonder...:rolleyes:

Doctor Q
Nov 24, 2003, 12:10 AM
I'm convinced that the salespeople don't know a thing about Apple's upcoming plans, even a few days in advance. Before previous events, I've talked to many people at three Apple stores, asking them about the upcoming events, and it was quite clear that they get their instructions at the last minute. They aren't told to hide information; they don't know.

VoyagerRadio
Nov 24, 2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Sabenth

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was Astronomical Units, but I guess that would be AU.

VoyagerRadio
Nov 24, 2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q

I'd like to see Soundtrack come down to a more reasonable price.

wdlove
Nov 24, 2003, 04:48 PM
I received my invitation to the special event, just today. I put my hope in the sentence, "Plus, we have a few surprises in store for you."

pb1212580
Nov 25, 2003, 10:52 PM
my guess is...

cheaper ipod prices

new ipods bigger hardrive
(re. few surprises?!)

accessories such as iTalk

AND that service that leaked out regarding using iPod to take your whole OS User profile with you wherever you go? Maybe they'll introduce that as a new service?

seems like that right time to start pushing for Christmas products!!! 28th is a day after Thanksgiving, the day before the weekend where everyone shops for x'mas?! no?

2 cents! :)