Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a video camera. I've already got a Sony V1 that i use for work, but I'm leaving work soon and going back to uni to do VFX and wan't to get something i can use there.

I was thinking about the camera Steve Jobs used in a keynote last year I think it was the latest Panasonic. I seem to remember it had 3CCDs and recorded to SD card/Hard drive. And apparently it was cheap.

This would be perfect for a student like me wanted to capture footage i can composite VFX shots into.

Can someone suggest similar models to the one SJ used as i suspect they've been updated by now and perhaps replaced. I've always been a Sony fan but would be willing to go for panasonic/canon/JVC as they're probably a good deal cheaper.

i'd like it to be quite small too as I don't want to be lugging round a huge camera bag like i do currently for the V1

any suggestions gratefully received!

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
looking around amazon currently have the Panasonic HDR-SD5 for £349.99 ($700) this seems like a good price to me. This is the camera Jobs used at the keynote wasn't it?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Panasonic's flash memory AVCHD camcorders (HDC-SD9 and HDC-SD5) are crummy bunch, with video quality worse than single CCD counterparts from Canon (e.g., HF100) and Sony (e.g., HDR-SR11).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Using a subpar AVCHD camcorder isn't lying really.

In any case, although 3 CCD and/or larger image sensor are supposed to yield superior video quality, in Panasonic's case, their AVCHD offerings just aren't as good as 3rd generation AVCHD camcorders from Canon and Sony.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.