Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwxiao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
CT
I want to get a copy of WarCraft III battle net. I am just wondering if there is any official no CD patch for WCIII so that I don't have to ruin my optical drive.

I know starcraft has no CD patch from Blizzard.

If there is no such thing, I may get a digital copy from Blizzard.com, but it's $10 more...

Thanks!

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I want to get a copy of WarCraft III battle net. I am just wondering if there is any official no CD patch for WCIII so that I don't have to ruin my optical drive.

If there is no such thing, I may get a digital copy from Blizzard.com, but it's $10 more...

Thanks!

With 1.21b or whatever the latest patch released is now, it comes with a no cd patch. You don't need your cd to run the game.

Also, you do not ruin your optical drive by having a cd in it to play a game. It is not constantly spinning. All it does it check to see if you have a valid cd and does some boot initializations thing which I can't explain. After that, the game runs off of your hard drive. To test this, you can load the game with the CD and then eject the cd and the game will run just like normal. The only reason why a cd patch is convenient is so you can put other cds in there while playing the game, and don't have to keep switching.

Ovistavin

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming

Thanks!

Actually there is a CD patch for Starcraft and Brood War. I had to copy a file off each CD (about 500 MB each) to my hard drive. I'd post a link, but I am having trouble with Blizzard.com and Battle.net right now.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Actually there is a CD patch for Starcraft and Brood War. I had to copy a file off each CD (about 500 MB each) to my hard drive. I'd post a link, but I am having trouble with Blizzard.com and Battle.net right now.

I think he meant "No-CD Patch" and not "no cd patch" (as it in doesn't exist).

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.