Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It is nice to see the iPhone being offered in even more markets. I wonder if later this year is like 3rd quarter or later than that?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Now comes the news. They are finally taking over the world. They may be able to get there 10million sold now. Good to see this finally happening.

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
Hopefully Mexico will have an iTunes store too. Lots of musical variety there.
Actually, I heard this "iPhone in Mexico soon" when I was in Cancun about 2 months ago and the timing is correct.
Oh, those memories. :p

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
MUCH more important is the fact that it's coming to Brazil (via Claro), one of the most important and competitive markets for mobile phones in the world.

And no, Brazilians DON'T speak Spanish... :rolleyes:

jcgnu

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
"America Movil, based out of Mexico City"

Out of??? It is based in Mexico City, not out of it....

jcgnu

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
MUCH more important is the fact that it's coming to Brazil (via Claro), one of the most important and competitive markets for mobile phones in the world.

And no, Brazilians DON'T speak Spanish... :rolleyes:

MUCH more important??

Brazil - 184 million people - 86 million cell phones - 46.7%
Mexico - 107 million people - 56 million cell phones - 52.33%

Probably more important to you... as for me it is that it's coming to Mexico...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0933605.html
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasil

Vikz

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hmm... I wonder what AT&T will say about Claro selling the iPhone in Puerto Rico, since PR is included in its national plan and as you all know, States and territories under the national plan have the 5 year exclusivity with AT&T :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oh ok, then I learned something new today! :D
I thought it was incorrect.. sorry ;)

No problem. :) We say "based in Mexico City" also. "Based out of" sounds slightly more natural (US English) to me. We would say "outside of" or "near" if we meant that it was located near but not in a city. Like we might say Microsoft is based just outside of Seattle, Washington, or perhaps Apple is based near San Francisco, California.... :)

As for what I learned, the Wiki article on America Movil was very enlightening. Sounds like a big win for both Latin America and Apple. Along with the other announcements this week from Vodafone, this is really great news as many people for many people outside the US and Europe who will be getting the iPhone through official channels soon! :)

plokoonpma

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Panama, Central America
mexico city?

There is no Mexico city... I'm not mexican but been there a couple of times enough to know the main city/capital its called Distrito Federal or DF as mexicans call it.

Claro landed the rigths to operate here in Panama yesterday. So welcome iPhone!
:)

Kansas-Kate

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2008
There is no Mexico city... I'm not mexican but been there a couple of times enough to know the main city/capital its called Distrito Federal or DF as mexicans call it.

When speaking/writing in Spanish, the correct term is "México, D.F." but when speaking/writing in English, the correct term is "Mexico City."

PaisleyMF

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2002
Puerto Rico
Hmm... I wonder what AT&T will say about Claro selling the iPhone in Puerto Rico, since PR is included in its national plan and as you all know, States and territories under the national plan have the 5 year exclusivity with AT&T :rolleyes:

AT&T is not selling the iPhone in PR. So if the iPhone is going to PR it will be via Claro. Now all the persons that i know that have the iPhone over PR got them in the USA and then changing accounts.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
What countries?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what 16 countries they are going to sell the phone in?

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
MUCH more important??

Brazil - 184 million people - 86 million cell phones - 46.7%
Mexico - 107 million people - 56 million cell phones - 52.33%

Probably more important to you... as for me it is that it's coming to Mexico...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0933605.html
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasil

Well, there are other things to consider. For example, income per capita and marketing variables such as life styles. Also, how are plans handled by phone companies: different marketing strategies? going after a niche? subsidizing? It is widely known that the iPhone "is not for everyone."
Of course in Mexico, data plans are getting less expensive (even cheaper than other developed countries *cough!* Canada *cough!*

It will be interesting to see how the iPhone introduction will happen. Good marketing class ahead.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
:eek: NOWAI REALLY!???

/sarcsm

You may tell that to our fellow U.S. citizens; a good portion of them (if not the majority) still thinks that we speak Spanish and have Buenos Aires as capital...:rolleyes:

As for the Mexican user's comment above, Brazil is a way more important market to Apple due to its overall gigantic reach and population, the potential for excellent growth and the ever-growing purchasing power of the middle and upper classes...not to mention that we have already more than 300,000 "unlocked" iPhones in the country...:rolleyes:

jcgnu

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
No problem. :) We say "based in Mexico City" also. "Based out of" sounds slightly more natural (US English) to me. We would say "outside of" or "near" if we meant that it was located near but not in a city. Like we might say Microsoft is based just outside of Seattle, Washington, or perhaps Apple is based near San Francisco, California.... :)

As for what I learned, the Wiki article on America Movil was very enlightening. Sounds like a big win for both Latin America and Apple. Along with the other announcements this week from Vodafone, this is really great news as many people for many people outside the US and Europe who will be getting the iPhone through official channels soon! :)

Yeah, very good news for us in Latin America. I live in Mexico City and I've seen hundreds of unlocked iPhones already among my friends. I'm actually about to buy one, but I think I'm gonna go the legal way so that the taxes I'll pay will go to my country.

Anyway, perhaps the only drawback is that Telcel (America Movil in Mexico) will be the one to sell it. They have a monopoly in the Mexican market (as well as other international markets) and it would be nice to see some other companies offer it. Competition is always good. Fortunately competition is rapidly growing in many countries like mine.

As for the comment about Mexico City and "Distrito Federal", the first one (Ciudad de México, in Spanish) is the name of the city, or the geographical name, and Federal District (Distrito Federal) is the political name. Basically it is the same thing, you can use both names indistinctively (although technically you shouldn't).

And finally, I believe it is good news not just for us, but for everyone, since it seems like the whole world will be getting it soon. Plus, international investments help our countries grow faster.

jcgnu

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
As for the Mexican user's comment above, Brazil is a way more important market to Apple due to its overall gigantic reach and population, the potential for excellent growth and the ever-growing purchasing power of the middle and upper classes...not to mention that we have already more than 300,000 "unlocked" iPhones in the country...:rolleyes:

Funny that we're fighting for it :D

Anyway, everything you said, same thing in Mexico...
I guess we have more iPhones here since we are so close to the US and it is so easy for us to get them.
I've seen thousands of them...

Arguing about it should lead us nowhere... I never said that Mexico was more important for Apple than Brazil and I feel that saying otherwise is kind of tough too. I'm just happy we will all be getting it, Brazilians, Mexicans, and everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.