PDA

View Full Version : Fix Screen or get a new machine ?

itrimble
May 8, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, I am in a dilemma. I have a first generation Mac Book Pro 1.83GHZ 2 gigs of ram with 160gig hd. My LCD is cracked and to replace it would cost about $450 to $470. I have already replaced the motherboard twice in this machine. The first time was not covered, that cost me about $600. Two months later, it broke down again. I already had to replace the battery one time due to the faulty battery thing that was going around a few years back. Also the Super Drive is starting to give me problems reading cds and burning dvd's. I am asking you if I would see a big improvement in performance if I purchased a 2.4-2.6 core 2 duo, with the led backlight screen ? or should I just spend $450 to get the screen fixed and live with the alright performance. I might also add, that I like playing games, and I often use VMware for autocad drafting with OS X in the background. I also like to rip movies, and convert them to various formats. Thanks for your help.

chrismac00
May 8, 2008, 12:41 PM
Definitely, 100% get the new MBP. It will be a major improvement and instead of wasting spending your money on fixing it, which seems like it has been a whole lot.

So one vote here for getting a brand new MacBook Pro. Even the lowest spec one would give you much more better performance.

nep61
May 8, 2008, 01:08 PM
I vote new MBP !!! I think that makes it 2-0 in favor of new !!

But my question is... What in the world happened to your poor machine... I can understand that it gets a little banged up from time to time... but it sounds as if that poor little 1st Gen MBP has been to hell & back...

Dissolve to Dream Sequence.....
I can picture it now... an IV hooked up to it's FireWire port... a catheter hanging out of a USB port... Backlit keyboard is very dim... when the Super Drive spins... it sounds like it's lungs are full of fluid.... The darn thing is on life support... and you're asking for a second opinion... can it be saved ?

Admit it, after two Motherboards, a new battery and failing Super Drive... and NOW, a cracked screen.... I think it's time to put her down.... ( I'm wiping a tear now )... go ahead, you have to let her.... go.....:( I can't stand it any more... God Speed 'ol Mac Book Pro, God Speed... Dissolve out of Dream Sequence....

Yeah, I say get a new one