Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which scaler for the ATV and 2.35 screen

• Lumagen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DVDO

• Other

• What are you talking about?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I posted a thread earlier on converting from HTPC and had a few comments about an external scaler (lumagen) in this application.

However I thought maybe I might scare up some other user comments if I posted this topic separately.

I have a 10 foot side 2.35 aspect ratio screen and used my HTPC to custom scale to this via an anamorphic lens (horizontal compression) enabled front projector.

The problem with ATV is that it's 720p (16:9) format only, so I get black bars top and bottom on my screen for 2.35 content.

Just wondering if anyone else here has scaler feedback for this application. Right now I'm leaning towards the lumagen radience but it's $3000, so before I spring I would love any feedback from other users with experience in this application.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Thanks for the link, I'm a longstanding (10 year) member at those forums and have tried to elicit some help there as well. However it appears the mixture of apple TV and home theater (at least higher end 2.35 type setups) is still pretty scarce so I was hoping to find some additional advice or experience here.

Thanks, and to anyone else reading, the avs forums are wonderful place as well for theater and audio stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.