PDA

View Full Version : used iBook - questions about internet connectivity

cq1
May 8, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing an inexpensive, used iBook to take with me traveling this summer in South Asia. I thought that would be a better option than taking my nice MacBook, since I don't want it stolen and don't know how it will fare during monsoon season. I do need a computer for my research, and for downloading my photos off my camera, and hopefully getting online to do email and use skype to talk to my family. I thought that purchasing a cheap laptop would serve my purposes, and I wouldn't have to worry so much about theft/damage.

So - here's my question. I'm looking at a used iBook that has an internal 56k modem, a 10/100BASE-T Ethernet Port, and an AirPort Wireless Card. I may be a blooming idiot, but I am not sure if that's enough to get me online onto a cable wireless network here at home, or in any situations I encounter while traveling (dial-up, ethernet, wireless...) I know that it will be much slower speeds than I'm used to, but I am not sure if I can even get it to work to connect to wireless internet.

Can someone more informed give me an opinion on whether this will get me what I need?

Thanks!!

Hawkeye411
May 8, 2008, 01:12 PM
Yea ... that should provide you with a connection in most situations.

windowpain
May 8, 2008, 01:18 PM
If you are traveling to Japan or Korea in particular, you might get speeds much much faster than you are used to.

All the options you asked about will be incredibly easy to set up.
Basically you just need to plug the ethernet cable in, and it will do the rest.
A wi-fi signal is even easier to connect to.

An ibook will do the job! (Esp the 12'' ibook g4- perfect size for traveling.)

edit; I'm assuming the ibook is a g4 and had an airport extreme (g) card. Some of the older ibooks have the older model airport cards which only have (b) speeds. Fast enough for internet access, surfing, email etc, but can be a bit slow at times.

cq1
May 8, 2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the help!

The iBook is actually the G3 model. Older, but definitely within my price range, and not something that I'll cry too many tears over if it gets damaged or stolen.

leighonigar
May 8, 2008, 01:39 PM
You've got more connectivity options there than you would have with a base macbook - the macbook has no modem. No idea if those are used much in asia but useful nonetheless. Be aware of the old radeon chip issue.

cq1
May 11, 2008, 03:31 PM
can you elucidate the radeon chip issue for a non-techie? :) thanks!