PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firebird 0.7.1 web browser for Mac OS X review.

MacBytes
Nov 19, 2003, 06:21 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Mozilla Firebird 0.7.1 web browser for Mac OS X review. (http://www.applelegal.com/comments.php?id=105_0_1_0_C)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

1macker1
Nov 19, 2003, 07:09 PM
DAMN this browser is smoking fast. Goodbye safari, helloooooo firebird.

phc
Nov 19, 2003, 07:18 PM
What I find annoying about Firebird and Netscape is the hidden window it creates. I noticed it when exposť is used. It slides out somewhere from off-screen. Haven't noticed it on Chimera/Camino though....

1macker1
Nov 19, 2003, 07:27 PM
I dont see any hidden window. but i'm still using Jaguar.

SilvorX
Nov 19, 2003, 08:23 PM
For some reason I must be one of the only people who actually prefer safari over firebird, I like just the simplest things, such as aqua-esque buttons on websites, nicer looking text boxes, etc, while it has a peecee look to it on firebird, I always seem to close firebird within 5 minutes of using it, just doesnt do it for me for some reason, Safari will always be my #1 browser, although ive been using gecko based browsers ever since mid '00, but firebird is a great browser for windows

Nermal
Nov 19, 2003, 08:29 PM
I still prefer Safari on the Mac, although when I have to use Windows, I always use Firebird if I can.

bousozoku
Nov 19, 2003, 08:32 PM
I gave up Camino for Panther or vice versa and Safari really hasn't been in the running for me. I downloaded Firebird 0.7 the other day and found it to be nearly as good as Camino, but in a omni-platform sort of way.

It works well and there's no brushed metal unless you download such a theme. The new pinstripe theme looks a little too close to OmniWeb, so they may end up changing that.

There are some imaging problems but I've also seen those with Mozilla and Camino since Panther.

Awimoway
Nov 19, 2003, 10:43 PM
I really prefer the Safari gui, too, but Firebird is a very handy app to have around. There was a detailed study a few months ago that found Mozilla to be the most stable of all Mac browsers. While I imagine Safari will someday catch up, Firebird is the nice no-frills version of Mozilla that I can open quickly to render something that Safari is failing with. (Mozilla takes forever to open.)

MasterMac
Nov 20, 2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by 1macker1
I dont see any hidden window. but i'm still using Jaguar.

Oh it's there. The only way you can see it is if you use Exposť though :P (although the next best thing would be pressing Command-` with a browser window open and you'll see that the focus goes off it (over to the "hidden" window))

Benjamin
Nov 20, 2003, 12:15 PM
There is a hidden window that Firebird and NS and Moz create, i belive it is a place holder for downloads, not sure anymore.. but anyway it is very clearly visable when using expose.

1macker1
Nov 21, 2003, 11:45 AM
Ok, back to safari, firebird did something terrible when trying to load a WMV. And you cant drag and drop jpegs from the web browser. But it's still fast.

bousozoku
Nov 21, 2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 1macker1
Ok, back to safari, firebird did something terrible when trying to load a WMV. And you cant drag and drop jpegs from the web browser. But it's still fast.

I'm not sure what is terrible about loading/playing WMVs, but I can drag and drop jpegs from Firebird.

Ambrose Chapel
Nov 22, 2003, 10:37 AM
with the rise of firebird, is camino dead? i haven't seen anything about it either way, but it's not been updated in quite awhile...

bousozoku
Nov 22, 2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
with the rise of firebird, is camino dead? i haven't seen anything about it either way, but it's not been updated in quite awhile...

That was the idea, at first, but people are working on it again. There are new nightly builds.

Awimoway
Nov 23, 2003, 11:54 PM
That's good. Competition--even among free apps--is a good thing for us.