Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Gazette reports that two class-action lawsuits against Apple Canada have been settled with a $45 credit being offered to Canadian residents who purchased a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation iPod prior to June 24, 2004.

The basis of the lawsuit was due to claims that the iPod's battery life shortened to only 3 hours in the second year of ownership despite advertised claims of eight hours between recharges.

As many as 80,000 Canadians could be eligible for the $45 credit which can be used at the Apple online store. The decision mirrors a similar settlement in the U.S. for the same claims. In that case, Apple paid out a $50 credit to affected individuals.

Full details of the settlement are available at http://www.apple.com/ca/ipod/settlement/.

Article Link

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Something better than nothing Eh?

Everyone wins in this settlement. People get some money back that will find its way back to Apple in the form of sales of new iPods and/or iPhones!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Everyone wins in this settlement. People get some money back that will find its way back to Apple in the form of sales of new iPods and/or iPhones!

Heh... ya.... Apple might come out ahead on these credits as people buy iPhones (when it comes to Canada) and whatnot :)

arn

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Wow, $45CAN is $50US? The USD sure is in the crapper! :rolleyes:

Nice how they still manage to give less to international customers, even if its a lawsuit.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
what happened to the last 10$

canada remains a cheap country to buy apple products compared some other countries, but why did americans get 50$ in 2004 and canadians 45$ in 2008? if they really wanted to make up the difference and be kind and treat canadians with a little more respect, they could offer a price that more reflects the currency disparity at time of purchase of the ipod. in that case, the canadian dollar was 82c us to buy so the price should be 55$.

oh well, not like anything will ever change.

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
oh, i had a 3rd gen ipod before 2004... tasty!

but they haven't yet posted instructions on how to make a claim... probably need some proof of purchase, as if i still have that lying around:rolleyes:

Well, since you apparently still use the iPod every day... surely you also have the receipt? Or do you mean to say you stopped using that iPod years ago? I am shocked! :eek:

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
It's a total of $3.6 million in store credit, if all 80,000 eligible people claim the credit.

This obviously isn't very big money for Apple, especially considering that around 1 million early adopters of the iPhone were eligible for a $100 credit a piece. And as Arn said, Apple will only see profit from such a deal.

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
Wow, $45CAN is $50US? The USD sure is in the crapper! :rolleyes:

Nice how they still manage to give less to international customers, even if its a lawsuit.

No one said that $50USD equals $45CAN.
Infact at them moment $1USD equals 0.985 Cananadian dollars.

ckurowic

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
I say: STOP YOUR WHINING. New stuff comes out all the time, I bought an iMac and 3 months later the new models come out, should I sue Apple? No, because I'm not a douche.

ckurowic

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007

How do you figure? I don't see that these folks are going to go out and buy a new iPod, they cost more than $45 you know.

canada remains a cheap country to buy apple products compared some other countries, but why did americans get 50$ in 2004 and canadians 45$ in 2008? if they really wanted to make up the difference and be kind and treat canadians with a little more respect, they could offer a price that more reflects the currency disparity at time of purchase of the ipod. in that case, the canadian dollar was 82c us to buy so the price should be 55$.

Uh....yeah.

Old news. Get your head out of the sand. The Euro is nearly double the US dollar.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
so we know eachother?

Batteries lose their charge over time?

Shocking and scandalous! Brb, suing any company I've ever bought a battery from. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this is moronic.

It won't stop you from complaining though.

i have not been mucha complainer on these boards mate. i don't post much but i am quite proud of my apple products and the service i have had. however, seeing as this happened in both states and canada, why not pay the canadians at least what they were paid in the usa? the exchange rate of when the ipod was purchased would be much better even considering then that the canadians paid a much heftier tarrif. it is really like giving them less 30% over what the american customers received.

glad you have been following my every post to know that i always complain. cheers

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto

Canadians never complain.
CDN at 82 cents: we get less :( awww
CDN at parity: we export less, this is hurting us :( awww
More taxes :( awww
Equalization :( awww
Western alienation :( awww
Quebec wants to go solo :( awww
More South Park gay jokes :( awww

nathany

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2002
Canada
Oh bother

My 1st gen iPod actually outlasted the Mini I bought to replace it. That's right, when my mini's battery died, my brother was still using my old iPod classic 5gb. Luckily I had an extended warranty with Future Shop to upgrade to Nano.

At this point in time it seems quite silly. It's like a mail-in rebate, how many people are going to dig up an ancient receipt and go through the process for $45 coin?

atropos

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2003
Ottawa, ON; Alhambra, CA
just wonder how do it work?

I bought a 3G iPod in the very first day launch, but the invoice is gone (who keep the invoice more than 3 months?? huh? ) .. so how to prove it???:confused: BTW I have open box photos... :p

nnkd

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
:D
This 45$ will go towards my next iPod when my 3 gen dies completely... or beer...

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Wait. The punishment for misrepresenting goods (I'm not arguing about batteries losing charge - but that was the outcome of the class action, so purely technicality here) is to give the customer money that can ONLY be spent with the company they had a greivance with? That seems a little odd (though also seems standard practice), especially since most people will put that $45 towards something more expensive. So Apple's court ordered punishment is to get people to spend more money with Apple.

Ah, sweet justice :)

PS Not trolling against Apple, just against the legal rulings in these cases.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Canada on strike? Looks like they got their theoretical dollars / coupon from Apple.

I'm not your fwend, guy!
I'm not your guy, buddy!
I'm not your buddy, fwend!

What what, in the butt?

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland

eveyone wins..that only counts for the US and canadian folks and Apple. there are also many european people with early generations.

but hey, no one forced me to buy an iPod back then..I wanted and I loved it. It was my beginning with a real confident Apple relationship. 45$ dollars for EVERYONE would still be nice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.