Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Tony

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
I have starting mixing a little bit on my iMac. I just picked up a pair of M-Audio BX5a's. I am currently running them out of the audio out with a y splitter (yuck I know!). I am looking for an inexpensive audio interface with 1/4 outputs. I really do not need any midi inputs and such right now, but wouldn't mind having them for the future. What are my options?

Thanks!

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
The Griffiin iMic is a solid and cheap interface, it doesn't have 1/4" outs, but has a 1/8" stereo to Phono adapter.

It is significantly better than the native output, without spending serious wedge.

BCains

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Will you be doing any recording...? the below options include xlr & 1/4" inputs.

Apogee Duet - $495
2x XLR 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
2x 1/4" Line Inputs
2x 1/4" Line Out (speakers)
Headphone

PreSonus FireBox - $300
2x XLR at 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
2x 1/4" On back panel
6x 1/4" Line Outs (speakers)
MIDI I/O
Headphone

M-Audio FireWire Solo - $165
1x XLR 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
2x 1/4" Line Input
2x 1/4" Line Outs (speakers)
Heaphone

Sir Tony

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
I went ahead and purchased a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface for $30. I read some reviews on it and found that it is much better than the iMac internal sound card and I have a little bit more control over it. I am looking to upgrade in the future but this should work in the meantime. Thank you for your help!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi, I'm thinking about picking up a UCA202 by Behringer, and was wondering how your purchase worked out.

Maybe it is OK for your use but Behringer has a reputation for not making the best gear. Their stuff is mostly low end but a decent value for what it is. But if that is what you need then it's a bargin.

I bought a Behringer mixer. It is certainly not good enough to record with but All I wanted it for was to mix iPod with my Roland keyboard to run into headphones for practice. The Behringer unit was 1/2 the price of a good pro level mixer.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanks ChrisA. I just want a glorified toy to try out low quality recording with Garageband. If I ever got into serious recording where sound quality mattered I'd upgrade. Sounds like your basically saying, "you get what you paid for" which is what I'm after [and not paying a lot ;)]

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Maybe it is OK for your use but Behringer has a reputation for not making the best gear. Their stuff is mostly low end but a decent value for what it is. But if that is what you need then it's a bargin.

I bought a Behringer mixer. It is certainly not good enough to record with but All I wanted it for was to mix iPod with my Roland keyboard to run into headphones for practice. The Behringer unit was 1/2 the price of a good pro level mixer.

the preamps on those Behringer mixers are surprisingly good for their price though

I used them to record vocals through them when I was on a budget. I still carry around a cheap 4 track Behringer for sessions and I know a few club DJ's who use them in their setups

Behringer audio interfaces though, I don't know anyone who uses them. I didn't even know they made interfaces

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.