PDA

View Full Version : Apple strikes back at employee's shareware app.

MacBytes
Nov 20, 2003, 01:00 AM
Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Apple strikes back at employee's shareware app. (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/netflixfanatic.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

mainstreetmark
Nov 20, 2003, 09:20 AM
Damn! As soon as I find out about this thing, it's yanked? Anyone know of an existing download site?

I hate going to Netflix.

D0ct0rteeth
Nov 20, 2003, 10:19 AM
I hope it ends up in sherlock

- Doc

mainstreetmark
Nov 20, 2003, 10:30 AM
Sherlock appears to be more of a 'searching' app, versus a 'maintaining' app.

But, i guess a sherlock channel can be made by anyone.

pgwalsh
Nov 20, 2003, 10:33 AM
I feel badly for this guy... It does look like a sherlock channel...

mainstreetmark
Nov 20, 2003, 10:49 AM
When I worked at Boeing, any 'idea' in the aviation industry that I came up with belonged to Boeing, even if I thought it up off-hours.

That's just the nature of big business. If you're employed by a company, that may lead you to think up a great new idea that, if developed outside the company, could ultimately hurt the company (new competition?)

So, I'm not surprised at all that Apple made this guy, who's being paid by Apple, stop "moonlighting". I doubt a Netflix tool would hurt apple in any way, but the Legal department is unlikely to bend or make any exceptions.

SilvorX
Nov 20, 2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
When I worked at Boeing, any 'idea' in the aviation industry that I came up with belonged to Boeing, even if I thought it up off-hours.

That's just the nature of big business. If you're employed by a company, that may lead you to think up a great new idea that, if developed outside the company, could ultimately hurt the company (new competition?)

So, I'm not surprised at all that Apple made this guy, who's being paid by Apple, stop "moonlighting". I doubt a Netflix tool would hurt apple in any way, but the Legal department is unlikely to bend or make any exceptions.

I would quit right now if i was him :D lol, nah, he probably needs the money

mainstreetmark
Nov 20, 2003, 12:19 PM
..and working for apple is probably better than writing a netflix thing for a living

mrsebastian
Nov 20, 2003, 12:24 PM
that's just stupid! of course we don't all the exact details, but if he created this thing on his own time and with out any apple resources it should be his. if apple wants it, they should pay for it.

SilvorX
Nov 20, 2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by mrsebastian
that's just stupid! of course we don't all the exact details, but if he created this thing on his own time and with out any apple resources it should be his. if apple wants it, they should pay for it.
Thats what I think as well, but that's not the reality of the corporate world anymore

Doctor Q
Nov 20, 2003, 01:44 PM
This problem has always been faced by employers and employees, especially at universities, which often deal with the issue in employment contracts. I made a deal with my employer so that I retain rights to use a copy of some of the library code I've written (although not the existing products that use the libraries). I sought this out because I really like using some of the utility routines I've written over the years (e.g., for text manipulation and pattern matching) and I'd like to be able to use them in my own future projects without having to rewrite them from scratch. That's no risk to my employer, but I don't think I would have had that right without making an explicit agreement.

mainstreetmark
Nov 20, 2003, 02:06 PM
That's exactly right!

In this Apple case, there may be some code that the kid developed for Apple at Apple that Apple owns. Anybody know what his Apple job actually is?

If you own a cheeseburger factory, and one of your guys invented Bacon, you wouldn't want them running around selling Bacon to everyone.

Doctor Q
Nov 20, 2003, 07:04 PM
Even when you end your employment, you may be prohibited by your employment contract from working for a competing business (or starting your own) for a certain period of time, e.g., 1 year. This prevents you from accumulating knowledge, leaving your job, and then immediately using the knowledge to compete with your former employer. Perhaps more importantly, it discourages your employers' competitors from trying to hire you just to get that knowledge from you.