Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hogprint

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Wisconsin
....of course I also own a SR MBP and a modded Mac Mini HTPC.

I was skeptical of the Air at first but now that I have had two weeks of my real world use. I am quite happy.

The occasional max out of the fan is irritating but rarely occurs and when it does only for a few minutes.

The single USB has been fine. My Westone IEM's (that do not fit in my iPhone) fit jsut fine in the Air.

Remote Disk works like a charm.

BTMM works like a charm.

I stinks reading all of these negative posts but I guess that is the nature of people.

Just wanted to put a positive experience out there for anybody on the fence regarding the Air.

wolfie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2008
i modded my UM2 westones to fit in the iphone and works easy in the air.
sound when watching a movie is brilliant.
just like being in a theatre.

HotAir

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
Hollywood CA USA
Nobody says much when they're satisfied. It's when we're not, then we cry. This has gone on since well into infancy. :) Babies since Day 1. Waaaaa... Gimme Air... Waaaa... Air no good... Waaaa... Gimme Air back... Waaa...Mine...My Air...Waaaa...

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I love my Air. It's funny, I probably never would have really paid much attention to the occasional fan use were it not for the fact that i read these boards. Now I can't help but note the fact and check istat pro widget and say, yep, I am at 6,200 rpm. but really, who cares? of course, all the time would be bad. Flip4mac was making my fan go all the time. that i would have noticed.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
Natural rules of ownership, unhappy customers tell at least 10x as many people about it when compared to happy customers. It's the way its always been.

If you have read the review on Anandtech back from February, he begins talking about setting proper expectations. It's that way in life. If you correctly analyze your laptop needs and then go out and find a product to fit those needs, you'll likely end up happy. If you purchase on a whim, not analyzing the situation well, you'll not likely be happy.

For all of us, perception is our reality. If you heard about MBA and thought it was the latest evolution in laptops and you saw the initial price tag, you probably thought it has to do EVERYTHING better. Well, it obviously doesn't.

I have an old east coast trainer that I work with in the "homeland security" world. He was oft to say about a certain piece of equipment (in his best Sopranos mob voice), "what it does good, it does good. What is don't do, it just don't do."

Pretty much sums up the MBA from my limted experience with it.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
i have basically rebuilt my entire home network around the Air. I picked up an Airport Xtreme, a wifi enabled printer, a WD My Book to hook into the Airport for wireless external storage and more.

I love streaming media across my house and printing anywhere I want. I love my Air and the entire Apple experience thus far.

juro

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Yup. People satisfied with theirs don't start 10 thread rants so you don't hear much from them.

That said, here's my rant:

I love my Air! Can't imagine traveling without it! It's so light! Never had any use for my optical drive! Don't need any more ports than I have! It's has enough power for what I use it for! The fans are not out of control! It's does not get as hot as any of the other Apple notebooks I've owned!

End of rant. :D

wordy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Toronto
I picked up an Airport Xtreme, a wifi enabled printer, a WD My Book to hook into the Airport for wireless external storage and more.
How do you find this? I've been looking at the WD World book only because it has an ethernet connection. Do you find the USB connection adequate for streaming without stutter??

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
How do you find this? I've been looking at the WD World book only because it has an ethernet connection. Do you find the USB connection adequate for streaming without stutter??

The wireless is the bottleneck, not USB.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I'm very happy with mine too. I picked mine up as a portable development machine. It does that very well. I haven't had any issues with fans or overheating or warped case or ...

I guess I'm lucky, but I was cringing when I opened the box, expecting the worst after seeing the stories of people having 3, 4 or 5 bad MBA's.

I spent some time putting it through it's paces with iStat and using yes in a couple of terminal windows. I wasn't able to get it nearly as hot as anyone else has reported on these forums.

I still haven't purchased the Superdrive and haven't missed it one single day.

Trishul

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Sarasota, FL
i got one as a very unexpected present, i have a Mac Pro and a 17" Macbook Pro which my dad likes to use a lot, but occasionally i need my macbook pro either when traveling or multi-tasking, so he got the air to make up for the times he can't access the mac notebook.. otherwise i'm in charge of it.

Previously i only thought of a Macbook Air as pure luxury, i'm don't travel that much and work at home mainly, but right now i'm in the bathroom typing this.. sure i could do that with the macbook pro, but the weight and size of the air make you want to take the laptop with you wherever you go, also the Macbook Pro tends to have multiple peripherals connected to it, and its a chore to disconnect etc..

After using it for only 3 days, i can safely say i'm in love with it, true it helps that it is not only my 3rd mac, but my 2nd mac notebook, so the whole lack of connections and power doesn't bother me, if anything it helps defines its purpose, which is now a portable writing/web surfing machine.

For all those people complaining about small weak hard drive, 1 USB port, no firewire and no optical drive, get a Macbook, it has all those things, and is still extremely portable, and cheaper!... this notebook is for those wanting the absolutely most portable notebook out there, and one that can actually be used properly, i.e. good size screen (what a screen!!) and a full sized keyboard. It wouldn't be this light with an optical drive, and usb ports not only take up room, they require wiring and power. I believe Apple have made the best possible compromises for the thinnest and most portable notebook ever.

the only negative thing about it is the placement of the power button, its easy to press it when you grab the notebook.. other than that i really do find its design and ergonomics to be flawless, this post is already longer than it has any right to be, simply because i enjoy using this notebook so much!!

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I'm feel the same way as most of the people in this thread...i originally bought my air for some traveling i'm going to be doing this summer...after a few weeks with it i'm thinking i might just keep it since i like it so much...this is coming from a guy who was totally disappointed when they announced the release of the air...i was hoping for a mbp 13" (and still am actually)...but now even they release the 13" mbp i may end up keeping the air as well.

fredrickyoon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Seoul, South Korea
Loved mine since day 1 (02/04/2008). Week 03 production model.

1.8 GHz, 64 GB SSD

Protected with the Full Body Invisible Shield, and the SFBags Waterfield Velcro Case, and in my SFBags shoulder bag on a daily basis.

hildegueden

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
For those like me, who have made the transition for the first time from PC to Mac, the MBA seems like a miracle. I’m glad that the first time I use a Mac it was a MBA :)

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
Love it!

My MBA is my favorite computer I've ever had, even though I have a much more powerful iMac and a Windows machine at work. I love using it around the house and have gotten to the point where I completely trust it for business trips. (I do have the Ethernet adapter, but always travel with an Airport Express anyway.)

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
My MBA has replaced a three year old 1.67GHz PowerBook G4, and I have to say that except for the extra ports on the G4, the MBA is better in every way for my use. I take really good care of my Macs and perform regular/routine maintenance on them, so I was quite concerned about the lack of a FireWire port, but the bootable USB 2.0 FireLite drive I've configured works just fine.

So, for web, mail, word processing, video watching this new MBA hits the sweet spot for me.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
I have to agree with all above, I have been using it as my sole machine since it arrived (I pre-ordered and it is a week 1).

Other than getting Coolbook properly configured to the point of forgetting about it I have not had a single hitch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.