Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Sorry for the newb question...but here is what its come down to. i am going to use my cell and my touch both. I decided to ot go with a smart phone cuz I couldn't find any I liked.

Having said that..do I do the 8 or 16gig? My old pda had a 1 gig card so wouldn't 8 be sufficient for movies games apps? I wouldn't have much music on there...some, but not much currently the 8 gig has a $30 gift card from best buy... just saying..

Thanks

sgtboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2007
I'd go ahead and get the 8gb for now, by the time you need more you can probably buy a 64 or 128gb touch in the future:D

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
interesting... how much does a typical movie take up? On my old pda I could get movies to be about 200 mgs... any luck on the touch? Thanks...

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I would say go for the 16gb if you can. Movies and tv shows fill it up pretty quick I found out. Plus the more media you accumulate over time, the more "safe" you are if you have a bigger size even though something bigger and better will always come around. Good luck and you'll love your ipod touch no matter which size you get !

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
coming from a pda (dell x51v 4gb cf and 4gb sd) I had plenty of room, I thought that a 8gb touch would do just fine, I was wrong.

go with the 16gb

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
You won't want to be swapping your music in and out all the time just to make space available. If you go on a 2 week vacation you could maybe cram 10 or 12 movies in a 16G along with your music. Apps are also on the way, who knows how much space they will take up. Get the 16G.

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Man this sucks..I wish I (or someone) had more of a definite answer as to what will be coming out in June.. I just sold my pda and am looking to replace it and after debating back and forth as to what to do with the smart phone/ dilemma I have decided to just go with the touch but what WILL most likely happen in June...

Will it just be a software/firmware upgrade along with a bigger version of the same thing or will it possibly be a new design along with the iphone? if so then maybe June would be fine but if im getting the 16 gig then I don't need to care about a new version....

any thoughts?

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I'd go with as much memory as you can afford. I bought the 16GB touch for $360 at Future Shop and sold my iPod Video. I had to create a playlist in iTunes so that I would have room for other stuff on the Touch.

Works great as a PDA!!

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Thanks Hawkeye..but im apprehensive because I was just at bestbuy and was looking at atit again and was thinking I wish someone would know more about June because what if something else comes out that makes me say "I wish I didn't buy it when I did" If it was just going to be software etc and the form stays the same then great..but it seems like noone can guarantee that Apple wont come out with a new ipod "touch pda" or something like that...

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Thanks Hawkeye..but im apprehensive because I was just at bestbuy and was looking at atit again and was thinking I wish someone would know more about June because what if something else comes out that makes me say "I wish I didn't buy it when I did" If it was just going to be software etc and the form stays the same then great..but it seems like noone can guarantee that Apple wont come out with a new ipod "touch pda" or something like that...
It doesn't matter how long you wait, something new will always be on the horizon. If you're really concerned, wait until the wwdc keynote and see what comes of it. If nothing, you can buy it then. Or, you could wait until september. Or 2009. Or beyond. It's a great device, and it won't blow up and die if a new one comes out.

EMILinator

macrumors member
It doesn't matter how long you wait, something new will always be on the horizon. If you're really concerned, wait until the wwdc keynote and see what comes of it. If nothing, you can buy it then. Or, you could wait until september. Or 2009. Or beyond. It's a great device, and it won't blow up and die if a new one comes out.

True.
And i would wait unil June/July anyway because this WWDC thing is kind of a big deal and something big might come out. Afterwards, if nothing interests you, go ahead and get the touch. then maybe 3-4 months later they'll release like an incremental upgrade, then after another 3-4 months, the 2G ipod touch, unless the incremental upgrade IS the 2G ipod touch. LOL. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.