Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
Hello,

i am considering buying a Time capsule. I was wondering if I HAD to use it with Time machine. I am just looking for a hard drive that I could access via WiFi.

So basically can I just use Time capsule as a simple hard drive with Time Machine? Thank you

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
So basically can I just use Time capsule as a simple hard drive with Time Machine? Thank you

You can use it as a network drive just fine. Not sure by what you mean be this? Do you mean some storage for files and some Time Machine backups? That'll work too...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Yea, I just picked one up and it works perfectly fine as a network drive. Though I was wondering how do you create password protected folders or grant permission to only particular users on the network? I know there is a folder to begin with from the machine who first sets up TC and that you make a PW for that, but I couldn't figure a way to grant permission to underlying folders within that directory. When I click get info for a folder and I go down to the "sharing and permission" it actually doesn't even list the names of my networked machines. It just shows unknown, staff, and everyone.

Anyone know how to grant access to folders for only particular machines on the network?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.