Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarcnelson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Hello,

Two months ago I bout a 500 gig Western Digital My Book Home Edition external hard drive. I had been using it successfully with my PowerBook G4 laptop until this morning. I had unplugged the hard drive from my laptop while I went to school on Friday (I'm a teacher), which I've done many times, but when I plugged the external hard drive back into the laptop this morning my laptop would not recognize the hard drive. I think that the external hard drive is getting power - it's making a whirring noise, like it does when it's working normally - but the light on the front of the external hard drive will not light up, and my laptop does not recognize it. I've tried the external hard drive with another computer and it also did not recognize it, which makes me think it's a problem with the external hard drive and not the laptop. My fear is that the hard drive is dead, since no computer will recognize it even though it seems to be getting power. Is there any way that I can find out if this is indeed the problem? If this is indeed the problem, is there a way that I can still recover the files from the hard drive?

Any ideas? Thank you so much for any help!

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I've been going through a similar scenario. One lesson I've learned is to always have two copies of EVERYTHING. Most will suggest trying Disk Warrior if Disk Utility didn't get you results. You have tried DU, right?

I'm not sure you're quite here yet, but this is the hell I've been going through. Maybe you will find some useful advice.

Also, in my searches I've found that WD MyBook HD's are crap with Mac's, especially pre-Intel machines. Seriously, I feel your pain.

sarcnelson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Changed wall socket...

Well, I got lucky - I tried one more time when I got home. I plugged the external hard drive into my normal old surge protector and voila - my PowerBook recognized it again. I think that perhaps the other wall socket I was using didn't provide enough power...maybe?

Thank you for the advice and the commiseration, and you are exactly right - back up EVERYTHING, and often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.