PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Asleep and Won't Power off Manually

Mem
May 11, 2008, 03:48 PM
Just went to use my Powerbook G4 and found it asleep, when I should have been running the screensaver. The computer would not wake from sleep. When I tried to manually power it down by pressing and holding the power button it will not power off.

If anyone has any ideas as to what's going on or a possible fix, I would appreciate your advice. Even if it's just temporary so I could get a more recent backup.

Thank you in advance!

matt90
May 11, 2008, 08:58 PM
For starters, force shutdown by removing the battery, power cords, etc. and reboot. Review your energy saving preferences, see whether anything looks out of place. If not, keep using it as normal. If this happens again, reinstall the OS.

Reflow
May 11, 2008, 09:29 PM
Have you tried to reset the PMU or the PRAM?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

Mem
May 12, 2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks for your help. About a half hour after posting, I tried again and after a few attempts, I was able to get it on and fully backup my system.

Reflow, that article seems extremely relevant, thank you. A few months ago I had a problem fully waking my screen up from sleep (it awoke, but the screen seemed dim, with process somewhat visible) and I have had some trackpad abnormalities, but these clear up after a restart. My question is, since everything has been up and running fine since I got it going, should I still try to reset the PMU, or should I print the instructions for use in the event something like this happens again?

One more question. I have a 1.5ghz Powerbook G4, which is listed under two sets of instructions. Any idea which one I should follow for my model, or just give them both a try?

Thanks again.