Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x30n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Hi!

I have some trouble playing Imperialism (one, not two), on a PowerMac 8600. I seem to remember, that I had this problem on a Performa 5200 a loooong time ago as well.

The game offers an overview about the military units stationed in a city in form of a book. This overview can also be used to upgrade the units as soon as newer units are available. However if I try to open a "page" which contains units that could be upgraded the computer crashes.

I first tried it with Mac OS 9.1. As soon as the problem appeared I installed 7.5.3 as well which gives me at least an error code when it crashes. Error Code 11, which means "miscellaneous hardware exception error".

The PM is equipped with a G3 400MHz (Sonnet) CPU, 512MB RAM, 2x HDD and all the usual crap. I tried it with the original PPC 604 CPU as well, without any success.

I know that I actually used the update functionality when I was playing the game ages ago. But I don't know what I needed to do to fix it. Any tips?

cu
x30n

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Works in Classic mode (OS 9.2.2) on OS X, minus the CD music. Make sure it's the latest version (1.1.7), which is actually still available on the website from whatever company has the rights to it now, or at least it was when I played this about 6 months ago.

--Eric

x30n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Hello,

thanks for the information, it really helped me. I found the Mac Patch for Imperialism on the Ubisoft Website.

However when I try to run the new binary, it doesn't start. All I get is an error message which tells me exactly: "Could not complete your request because ." (no I didn't forget anything). I copied the resource file as well. The same problem happens on the 8600, my G5 and PB G4 (with classic environment). They all have the same crash problem as well.

Maybe it doesn't work with the german version. I have the german retail version (with box and everything ...). I found some full versions on several websites as well as on bittorrent. Looks like nobody cares for the copyright any longer. Unfortunately all the versions I found where for Windows.

Does anyone know a source for the english version? Maybe that would solve the problem.

cu
x30n

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Maybe it doesn't work with the german version.

Could be; never had any crash problems myself with the English version.

Does anyone know a source for the english version?

eBay...at least that's where I got mine (still shrink-wrapped, even!). not exactly common though.

--Eric

x30n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I just confirmed that it must be the german version i have here. On my Linux box I was able to set up a Windows in a box (very strange system that ... :confused: ). However I couldn't patch my windows version as well. Than I tried it with the US Version I found on BT, and it worked fine. However, windows 95 is not exactly my idea of a gaming setup so if anybody would be willing to supply his Imp Folder to me please contact me via PM.

cu
x30n

bosequo

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2008
Same goes for me.

I finally found my old version of Imperialism after shifting heaps and piles and stacks of files and crap. Now I have the very same problem: The German version does not work. It just doesn't. Somebody doesn't seem to like us...

Would anybody care to send me his 'Imperialism'- Folder? Contact me via PM? Working towards the understanding among nations?

bosequo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.