Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Hey guys,
I have a Powerbook G4 that has a broken shift and enter key. The other shift and enter both work fine, so I haven't lost any functionality, but I'd like to fix it anyway.

They are the only two keys that do not work. Would buying a new keyboard fix this problem? If not, what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

matt90

macrumors member
Do you have any idea why the keyboard broke? Replacing the keyboard will almost certainly work, and if it doesn't then you have a very selective hardware/software problem. If a new keyboard doesn't help, reinstall the OS, and if that still doesn't work, then it's a hardware problem and you may have to replace your computer.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I have no idea why the two keys don't work. I bought the computer used from craigslist, and the seller didn't disclose that they didn't work.

I did some testing when I picked it up, but didn't notice them until I was home.

I've been using the alternate enter/shift keys, but the original ones are then ones I'm most used to, so I'd like to get them working.

Thanks for your advice.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Do the keys seem to physically behave properly when you push them? The simplest cause could be something stuck under the keys that prevents them from physically depressing the actual key underneath the plastic key caps. You can (carefully!) pop off the tops of the keys to check underneath them and maybe give them a shot of canned air to try to clean anything out from under there.

But if that's not it, it's likely a hardware issue that would require a full keyboard replacement. That'll run you about $150 through your local Apple Store.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Yes, the keys act normally.

I will probably buy a keyboard from ebay and do it myself. I'm fairly hands-on, and I'd rather not spend $150 to fix it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys. This is my first mac, so I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.