PDA

View Full Version : The new rules for buying a Mac

MacBytes
May 11, 2008, 11:05 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The new rules for buying a Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080512000502)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

corywoolf
May 11, 2008, 11:41 PM
Lame article, nothing that isn't obvious to people that read MR. The iMac is still crippled, try upgrading the CPU or Graphics card, and how much ram can it handle? Yeah and everyone knows that checking email and surfing the web used to require a PowerMac! In fact, the G3 iMacs were incapable of loading Google. Never mind iMovie 1.0 working just fine on G3 iMacs, email is so much more intense. :eek:

minik
May 11, 2008, 11:50 PM
Lame article, nothing that isn't obvious to people that read MR. The iMac is still crippled, try upgrading the CPU or Graphics card, and how much ram can it handle? Yeah and everyone knows that checking email and surfing the web used to require a PowerMac! In fact, the G3 iMacs were incapable of loading Google. Never mind iMovie 1.0 working just fine on G3 iMacs, email is so much more intense. :eek:

You must be joking.

NP3
May 12, 2008, 12:56 AM
You must be joking.

He is.

I'm glad the first one was everybody DOESN'T a mac pro. I hate the fan boys who overcompensate by stating you can only be truly 'creative' when you have a mac pro.

LethalWolfe
May 12, 2008, 01:18 AM
Did the guy really have to write that long article to basically say, "examine your needs and buy accordingly"?

Lethal

Lefteous
May 12, 2008, 01:47 AM
They list the integrated display in the iMac as an argument against the Mac Pro for Photoshop users. That's ridiculous. Photoshop users need a colorfast display like a NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi or an Eizo Color Graphic CG301W.

nathanbookpro
May 12, 2008, 04:05 AM
They list the integrated display in the iMac as an argument against the Mac Pro for Photoshop users. That's ridiculous. Photoshop users need a colorfast display like a NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi or an Eizo Color Graphic CG301W.

Actually Photoshop users will only really NEED to have a monitor as you mentioned if working in print. It isn't a necessity when working on web based compositions as long as you have a properly calibrated monitor and account for possible variations of many others (the viewers) monitors.

Santa Rosa
May 12, 2008, 05:27 AM
Guys on a mission to sell you either a iMac or a Macbook. Dont see why he bothered writing that article. Dont know why I bothered reading that article!!

If im going to buy an iMac, I will buy an iMac. If im going to buy a Mac Pro, I will buy a Mac Pro and so on and so on.

Love this bit:

A quad-core Mac Pro -- the least robust of the bunch -- will run you $2,299, whereas the slowest eight-core system starts at $2,799.

Makes the Mac Pro sound like a really rubbish, puny system. LOL LOL LOL what a laugh :rolleyes: Nice how he had to word it so that it would fit his article...

BenRoethig
May 12, 2008, 07:36 AM
Makes the Mac Pro sound like a really rubbish, puny system. LOL LOL LOL what a laugh :rolleyes: Nice how he had to word it so that it would fit his article...

Well, it is actually a pretty good deal compared to other workstations. For the same price for dell you get quad 2.5ghz, 1 GB of RAM, and a 80GB hard drive. Then again, you don't draw comparisons to consumer machines from the dells because they aren't the only option for those wanting more than two cores or two memory slots. If all things were even, those who would buy a Mac Pro would probably be better of with a 8-core 2.5ghz rather than a quad core 2.8. Then again, the current arraignment gives Apple a quad core option.

natureboyuta
May 12, 2008, 08:20 AM
the people giving this article a hard time need to chill out. there is nothing wrong with this article's topic. there are lots of people who need this type of analysis. i get people everyday asking me which mac they should buy. the people who read macrumors are usually much more informed about mac offerings and probably have a dream system detailed in their heads just in case they get the some extra money or an excuse to buy it.

for a lot of people, they just haven't really thought it out and they don't really get all the differences between the mac lines currently being offered. this article is a reprint from macworld. people who don't know much about macs, but are looking for a new one might find some help from an article such as this one, and macworld is the type of place they might look.

if it isn't for you, then don't feel obligated to read it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have value. it doesn't impress us when you belittle articles with the "i already knew that" argument. great. you are very smart. we are all very impressed. now shut up.

minik
May 12, 2008, 10:32 AM
I somehow agree with the Macworld article. However, they kept repeating something mentioning earlier on the article. I found the graphs a little hard to follow.

The portability of a Mac mini should be 'good'.

Before the G3-era, Apple made a whole bunch of different models. It was a pain to pick which one to buy. Nowadays, I still decide which model to pick, but slightly more straight forward.

willcodejavafor
May 12, 2008, 11:22 AM
Did the guy really have to write that long article to basically say, "examine your needs and buy accordingly"?

Lethal

All about adding key words :)

Dont Hurt Me
May 12, 2008, 01:22 PM
Not much talk on gpu's which for the most part really seperate the lines at Apple. Technology has really pushed iMac to be a solid desktop device in my view and Pro is really for the pro's. All the crying about videocards is silly, iMac offers 3. 4 Gigs of memory? Consumer needs have been met and even exceeded with iMac. New rules indeed iMac is the real deal.