Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pandaen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2008
I've just got my new white MacBook 2,4GHz, and so far i am enjoying as much as i could possibly do.

So i've tried to collect as much information about these, so that i can get the most out of my product, and i figured that the problems with these are:

Cracking Cases
Dying Batteries
Dying Chargers

Can you guys suggest me how to handle my product, so that it will live for as long time as possible? I mean, are there any tips to put the least stress on the fragile parts?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
The case- just be careful with it, get it a case if your going to drag it around.
The battery- Don't leave it charging all the time, charge it to 100% then run it down to when it says low battery.
The charger- if your putting it in your bag, keep it clean, bits of iron filings etc. can get in there and short it because its magnetic.

pandaen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2008
The case- just be careful with it, get it a case if your going to drag it around.
The battery- Don't leave it charging all the time, charge it to 100% then run it down to when it says low battery.
The charger- if your putting it in your bag, keep it clean, bits of iron filings etc. can get in there and short it because its magnetic.
Great answer, thank you very much:

I have a few questions though.

What kind of case do you mean? Can you eventually link me up with something, as i might want to buy that :)

If i run my macbook with the charger in, and the battery is at 100%, then the macbook is powered from the charger right? So to take most care of the battery, wouldnt it be best to just keep the charger in whenever it's possible? I mean, in that way the battery isnt going to be charged as often, and should last longer?

About the charger, that makes great sense, is there anything that i can buy to put on my charger when bagging it, to protect it from gathering stuff?

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
For the case something like this http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...c/mac_accessories/notebook_cases&mco=MTA4MTg0 although don't buy it there, you can get some cheaper ones of Amazon for around $20 (I'm assuming your in the US)

If i run my macbook with the charger in, and the battery is at 100%, then the macbook is powered from the charger right? So to take most care of the battery, wouldnt it be best to just keep the charger in whenever it's possible? I mean, in that way the battery isnt going to be charged as often, and should last longer?
No it doesn't work like that, someone with more knowledge will explain hopefully. To take most care of the battery would be to remove it when not using it and run the mac off the charger, not leave the battery in with the charger on all the time.

pandaen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2008
For the case something like this http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...c/mac_accessories/notebook_cases&mco=MTA4MTg0 although don't buy it there, you can get some cheaper ones of Amazon for around $20 (I'm assuming your in the US)

No it doesn't work like that, someone with more knowledge will explain hopefully. To take most care of the battery would be to remove it when not using it and run the mac off the charger, not leave the battery in with the charger on all the time.
Ok, i'll see if i can find something like that case then. I'm not from the US though. I'm from Europe(Denmark), i thought my English would've revealed that, but do you know anywhere arround here that i can pick up one of those?

And for the charger thing, i'll wait and see if someone can explain it further :) I hope someone will jump into this thread soon :)

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I'm guessing macs aren't as popular in Denmark as they are in the UK/US so your only choice would be to either buy off the Denmark Apple store or have one imported (not worth it really). The cheapest on the Apple store is 189 krone (krona?)

Or just buy a regular notebook case for a PC laptop (which may likely be for a 15.4" screen, however this will allow you to put other stuff in there as well.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I've just got my new white MacBook 2,4GHz, and so far i am enjoying as much as i could possibly do.

So i've tried to collect as much information about these, so that i can get the most out of my product, and i figured that the problems with these are:

Cracking Cases
Dying Batteries
Dying Chargers

Can you guys suggest me how to handle my product, so that it will live for as long time as possible? I mean, are there any tips to put the least stress on the fragile parts?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

I think people have cracking cases because they do two things. One, they close the lid and let it snap shut. The magnetic "latch" is very strong on the MacBook (I'm sure you've notice that already) and unless you guide it down, it will snap shut. Letting it do that all the time will eventually break down the casing. So when you close the lid, guide it down. The other thing I think people do is they pick it up by the "front" when its close. There is already a lot of pressure because of the magnetic "latch" and then people put more pressure on it by gripping it at the front. Pick it up by the "back" or the sides.

The battery will eventually go bad no matter how good you treat it. The best way to keep it alive is to use it. Don't run it down to dead if you don't have to. Laptop (and iPod, cellphone, etc) batteries like to "keep the juices flowing" as Apple puts it. So charge it as often as possible and use it as often as possible. Just use it and enjoy it. Theres no point in having a portable computer if you're not going to use it as one ;) The battery will lose charge whether you use it or not. So its better to just use it. You won't hasten its death. Using it properly (not running it dead regularly, recharging it often) will extend its life well beyond leaving the system setup as a "desktop replacement".

As far as the dying MagSafe adapters go.. I have yet to see one fail that isn't the result of user abuse. If you're going to wrap the cord around the adapter, follow Apple's guidelines. Meaning you want to let the cord stick out of the adapter about an inch or more and then wrap it around. This takes stress off of the cord. Every person who has had the cord go bad at that point had wrapped it too tightly and it caused stress. Most importantly of all, do NOT disconnect the MagSafe from the MacBook by pulling on the wire! Disconnect it by pulling on the head itself or by pushing down on the head. Do not pull it by the cable at all. Every single person who has had the cord fray at that point has pulled the cord to disconnect it from the MacBook.

Another tip. If you're using it as a "laptop", don't leave it plugged in. This will also create stress on the MagSafe connector. Plus its silly to be sitting on the couch watching TV with it plugged in. Why buy a computer with a battery if you're not going to use it?

pandaen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2008
I think people have cracking cases because they do two things. One, they close the lid and let it snap shut. The magnetic "latch" is very strong on the MacBook (I'm sure you've notice that already) and unless you guide it down, it will snap shut. Letting it do that all the time will eventually break down the casing. So when you close the lid, guide it down. The other thing I think people do is they pick it up by the "front" when its close. There is already a lot of pressure because of the magnetic "latch" and then people put more pressure on it by gripping it at the front. Pick it up by the "back" or the sides.

The battery will eventually go bad no matter how good you treat it. The best way to keep it alive is to use it. Don't run it down to dead if you don't have to. Laptop (and iPod, cellphone, etc) batteries like to "keep the juices flowing" as Apple puts it. So charge it as often as possible and use it as often as possible. Just use it and enjoy it. Theres no point in having a portable computer if you're not going to use it as one ;) The battery will lose charge whether you use it or not. So its better to just use it. You won't hasten its death. Using it properly (not running it dead regularly, recharging it often) will extend its life well beyond leaving the system setup as a "desktop replacement".

As far as the dying MagSafe adapters go.. I have yet to see one fail that isn't the result of user abuse. If you're going to wrap the cord around the adapter, follow Apple's guidelines. Meaning you want to let the cord stick out of the adapter about an inch or more and then wrap it around. This takes stress off of the cord. Every person who has had the cord go bad at that point had wrapped it too tightly and it caused stress. Most importantly of all, do NOT disconnect the MagSafe from the MacBook by pulling on the wire! Disconnect it by pulling on the head itself or by pushing down on the head. Do not pull it by the cable at all. Every single person who has had the cord fray at that point has pulled the cord to disconnect it from the MacBook.

Another tip. If you're using it as a "laptop", don't leave it plugged in. This will also create stress on the MagSafe connector. Plus its silly to be sitting on the couch watching TV with it plugged in. Why buy a computer with a battery if you're not going to use it?
You are the man. Thank you for your answers. They are extraordinary :) Can you eventually link me up with a guide of how to wrap and how to handle the magsafe? Im not quite sure i understod how you meant i should wrap it.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Get a sleeve with it and just treat it like its your baby and wash your hands before touching and you'll be good to go!

Uoila

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2007
keep in mind.

By the way, it is good advice to watch out for small metal shavings that might get between the magsafe charger end and laptop port. But remember, the charger end isn't magnetic, the laptop port is the magnetic part. Make sure to check the laptop connection for the metal shaving as well, that is where they are most likely to accumulate.

nufanec

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Best thing you can buy for it (if you've not already) is AppleCare. This more than anything else will help keep you going for 3 years.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
no offense to any previous post, but DO NOT Take your battery out while having it on charger. Apple will tell you not to do this. and if you ever have a prob, apple will void your warranty for miss care.

CALIBRATE your batter once or twice a month. Type that into apple support on their site and it will explain how to do that.

Batteries will die eventually ( YEARS though) just use it on battery when needed, plugged in when not. I have done a lot of research on this, and in all the laptops i have owned. Using it on battery only when needed and keeping your cycle count down works the best. you get 300 cycles or one year. for a warranty. 300 adds up fast if you use it on battery all the time.

also down load coconutbattery to monitor its health.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
It is worth mentioning that if you take out your battery while the machine is running, it will throttle down to half speed to avoid drawing too much power if it has to. It's best to just use your computer as you need to, keep it plugged in pretty much whenever possible, but try to drain the battery once a month at the least. To protect your computer, you might want to just get a shoulder bag for it, or perhaps you'd want to get a shell like thing that would stay on the computer during use.

EMILinator

macrumors member

Actually.. the thread starter is right. keeping it plugged in 24/7 won't hurt the battery at all, as long as you remember to recalibrate the battery 1-2 times a month. charging the battery to 100% then unplugging it and using until the battery runs out and then charging it again will increase the charge cycles on the battery and that will wear it out faster..

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/454991/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.