Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all,

This is my very first post here. Great forum.

Just got the Time Capsule yesterday, left the MBA all night to finish the initial backup. Everything went just fine.

In the morning at the office, turned on the MBA and the fan stayed at 0 RPM. Ran some apps just to make the temperature go up a bit, no luck, the fan is still off. Then ran the hardware test and it returned an error with the fan.

Took the laptop to a Genius, once turned the laptop on, the fan was fully operational @ 2500 RPM. I was like WTH, it was off all day.

Anyway, so far, the fan has been running properly since the incident. It used to kick in (6200rpm) at 62C. Now, it does so only at +80C. The MBA is so quite now! Love it even more!

Not sure what happened today, but I'm sure it is WAY better! The fan stays at 2500 almost all the time.

Long live:apple: !

silentio

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
Hi, first, welcome to the forums :)

The same thing happened to me yesterday. The fan stayed at 0RPM, giving only some ticking noises, but refused to spin. I switched off the MBA, and after a while, went to try out the hardware test. But when the test started, so did the fan.

Unfortunately, unlike you, my MBA didn't become less noisy after the incident. The fan still kicks in to spin at 6200RPM at about 59C.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
OK that is scary.

It seems that the fan used in the MBA must have quality issues by itself. There seem to be more complaints about clicking or other abnormal sounds coming from the fan than any other complaint about the machine.

I wonder if by choosing such a thin part they had to sacrifice bearings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.