Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
on the rare occasion that I start up my 12" PB ( i usually just have it sleep) it always takes a long time to start up. Longer than it used to. The lag comes as the little gear thing is turning on the bottom before the startup screen with the progress bar shows up. Anybody elso have this issue. Any suggestions how to fix it?
I am running 10.2.8
640 MB
867 G4

thanks

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
it runs fsck -y in the background, that's one reason it could take a while...

i've had it happen on the exact same machine... so it's nothing abnormal. i remember it taking nearly 3 min. once in a while.

if it really bothers you (well, at least enough that you'd pay $$$), get panther. it's 30 seconds or less startup in the Rev. A 12" PB i have.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
thanks for the info. Glad to know it's not a big deal. Like i said I only start up the machine once in a while so it's not too much of an issue. I think I will get Panther when I hear more bugs have been worked out. Particularly with networking. Thanks again

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by cb911
has Jaguar always run fsck -y in the background? i thought you had to do that manually?:confused:

Jaguar's always done it. Doing it manually is only for people who enjoy ( ?) mucking around in the CL. And yeah I do it :D. Well after power failures and stuff anyway.. though it takes a friggin long time on the iMac 600..

DillHarris

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2003
Upstate NY
On a slightly different note... New 17PB... On startup/restart, between the time the screen is dark and the apple logo shows up, the screen flickers a few times, an os 9 looking folder pops up with a ?, blinks a few times until the mac smiley shows up on the folder, and then continues on to the regular os x apple logo startup screen. now, os 9 isn't even installed. 10.2.8 only. I thought we didnt have to bless the sys folder in X. I have not seen this on any other mac I have used. Any thoughts?

Thom_Edwards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2003
Originally posted by DillHarris
On a slightly different note... New 17PB... On startup/restart, between the time the screen is dark and the apple logo shows up, the screen flickers a few times, an os 9 looking folder pops up with a ?, blinks a few times until the mac smiley shows up on the folder, and then continues on to the regular os x apple logo startup screen. now, os 9 isn't even installed. 10.2.8 only. I thought we didnt have to bless the sys folder in X. I have not seen this on any other mac I have used. Any thoughts?

i know that in 9, that meant you didn't have a startup disk selected in the control panel. it would blink until it found a valid startup disk. my guess is it was searching for a cd, because it would always happen after having to boot from CD, then going back to a hard drive boot.

i can't guarantee what you are seeing is the same, but it's worth looking into.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by benixau
fsck will always be needed - journalling REDUCES the need but does not eliminate it.

Ummm, no. At the moment fsck doesn't know what to do with a journaled file system, so if you were to force it upon a journaled file system it could mess it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.