PDA

View Full Version : In which city shall we host our "Geek Expo?"


eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 11:03 AM
ok here it is...

Duke....I'm throwing out the ball...

it's up to u guys to keep it going... ;) :D

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 11:21 AM
I voted for DC, not just because I'm local, but because its centrally located and Blakespot, a moderator lives here to, and Arn isn't that far either.

And besides, feel a little patriotic and visit the Nations Capital!:D

Hell, I'd even throw in a bbq at my house if we don't get too many people.

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 11:29 AM
I went for New Orleans. Hey, the food....amazing. The party scene....amazing. Plus Eye and myself are locals. That way we can take you to the fun places, and keep you away from the dives. Also, In the summer in NO, the hotels are cheap! If bag'o'donugts is playing then it is a must ;)

Not to mention, the hurricanes, hand grenades, and other exotic drinks there:D

Oh, and one more thing. There is NOOOOOOOOO shortage of strippers :cool:

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 11:33 AM
I'd go, if its chosen. Now just to convince the wife, but she'd tag along anyway, I think. She's been itching for a vacation, this summer would be perfect.

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'd go, if its chosen. Now just to convince the wife, but she'd tag along anyway, I think. She's been itching for a vacation, this summer would be perfect.

New Orleans is fun in the summer, hot, but fun. We could get a block of hotel rooms in the Mariott, and maybe a small conference room. Hell, lets even invite Woz, and Steve. That would be hillarious if one actually showed! Also, if you have any collectibles, bring them as well. Yup, that would be a killer trip.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 11:43 AM
But we need to get a few more people on board here. It would be some good photo ops, too. All sorts of blackmail on the boards after the weekend. If we do get a room, we'll have to have a Internet Connection and post to the forums.

We have to retain some sort of geekness, don't we?

mischief
May 9, 2002, 11:47 AM
SF is a short drive from the Mecca of all Geekdom: Santa Clara county.:D

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
But we need to get a few more people on board here. It would be some good photo ops, too. All sorts of blackmail on the boards after the weekend. If we do get a room, we'll have to have a Internet Connection and post to the forums.

We have to retain some sort of geekness, don't we?

I know that some of the hotels are setup on Wi-Fi. Hey, lets take a video camera and make movies to post as well. I have a digital camera with 128 MB of memory so that puppy will go a long way. I can take the laptop and transfer then when it is full. Hey we could possibly take so many pictures in a weekend that we might have to call Guniess :p

Also for everyone with famlies. New Orleans has a wonderful aquarium, and a zoo that ranks only behind San Diegos. The shopping at the River Wall is awesome! And did I mention the food.

Geek Fest 2002! Damn, I like the sound of that!

AlphaTech
May 9, 2002, 11:52 AM
You need to make a correction in the poll eye... Boston, MA, not MD....

Of course, you know I HAD to vote for Bean-Towne... since I am so close to it. :D

People can fly into Logan (international airport) and go from there. We could probably get a better deal on a meeting place by going outside of Boston, since there are planty of towns surrounding it that have tons to offer for facilities.

I did go to NY last year for MWNY, and would not want to return there. I am NOT a fan of large, crouded cities (which includes sections of Boston as well). Give me the open areas with some twisting roads and I am a happy camper (on either the motorcycle or in the truck :D).

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Geek Fest 2002! Damn, I like the sound of that!

Sponsored by MacRumors. Sort of like the Geek Cruises. We'd need to make shirts or something. Although, stress less geekdom and make it a very cool shirt, something you'd want to wear. Black.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
You need to make a correction in the poll eye... Boston, MA, not MD....

Of course, you know I HAD to vote for Bean-Towne... since I am so close to it. :D

as *****!!!

I can't believe I messed that one up....sorry!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Sponsored by MacRumors. Sort of like the Geek Cruises. We'd need to make shirts or something. Although, stress less geekdom and make it a very cool shirt, something you'd want to wear. Black.

A very good friend of mine owns a T-shirt shop here, and we could get a great deal. Come on New Orleans.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Geek Fest 2002! Damn, I like the sound of that! \

I like that too...I think I'll change the name to it... :D

AlphaTech
May 9, 2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Geek Fest 2002! Damn, I like the sound of that!

Hmmmmm.. GF2 for short??? eeeeek!!! LOL

mischief
May 9, 2002, 12:09 PM
It's all about black Fatigues, white socks, Tevas, Leather jackets and as many Gizmos as you can carry. Anyone with a handspring TREO gets extra points.:D


How about Geequetopia?:D

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
\

I like that too...I think I'll change the name to it... :D

Hey, you know this. The thing about New Orleans, I imagine that most here have not been there. Eye you know that place is wacked crazy, and like no other place on earth. Can you imagine the looks on some of the faces of folks here as they trudge down Burbon St at 2AM? :D :p :D

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Give me the open areas with some twisting roads and I am a happy camper (on either the motorcycle or in the truck :D).

You ever been down to DC around the 4th for Rolling Thunder? Never have I seen so many bikes, it truly is amazing. They take over the whole east parking lot of the Pentagon as the staging area and roll on out over Memorial Bridge and around the Mall. Although this year it will be interesting to see what happens. You can't drive by the Pentagon without noticing all the heavily armed Hummers, guards and military security everywhere. The first time I drove by after 9.11 I was floored to see a Hummer out there with the guard manning the machine gun mounted on the top of the truck.

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by mischief
It's all about black Fatigues, white socks, Tevas, Leather jackets and as many Gizmos as you can carry. Anyone with a handspring TREO gets extra points.:D


How about Geequetopia?:D

How about a Newton? Actually anyone who can bring the iWalk wins :D

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by mischief
It's all about black Fatigues, white socks, Tevas, Leather jackets and as many Gizmos as you can carry. Anyone with a handspring TREO gets extra points.:D


How about Geequetopia?:D

GF2 sound good to me.

But the uniforms got me a bit worried, I'd prefer moving away from the paramilitary look.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 12:15 PM
Can't do it right, might put in a graphic

GF^2

Geek Force 2?

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac


Hey, you know this. The thing about New Orleans, I imagine that most here have not been there. Eye you know that place is wacked crazy, and like no other place on earth. Can you imagine the looks on some of the faces of folks here as they trudge down Burbon St at 2AM? :D :p :D

I think that would be a scary sight...ha ha ha!!! :D

AlphaTech
May 9, 2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by mischief
It's all about black Fatigues, white socks, Tevas, Leather jackets and as many Gizmos as you can carry. Anyone with a handspring TREO gets extra points.:D


How about Geequetopia?:D

Good to see you made that new association in your sig... LMAO!!! To think, we brainstormed over that...

For a dress code/uniform, I say, jeans (blue or black) black shirt, black boots, black leather jackets. People with biker jackets get more points then people with HS Treo's. :D People with 800MHz TiBooks (with them) get double bonus points. Maybe have a contest to see how much storage they have for their TiBooks with them. All the drives must be in the same bag/carrier as the laptop. I will be at 170GB within a week or so (40GB inside and the rest outside in three drives).

How about Gathering of DemiGods and Macrumors... or GoDaM :D

mischief
May 9, 2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


GF2 sound good to me.

But the uniforms got me a bit worried, I'd prefer moving away from the paramilitary look.

Fatigues for the pockets and as a nod to the ARPA. Cargo pants are just a cheap immitation.:D

3rdpath
May 9, 2002, 12:25 PM
new orleans sounds great but PLEASE not in july or august-geeeez its friggin hot and humid there.

great food, music and drinks, mmmmmm,mmmmmmm good.

and a lucky dog "loaded" at 3:00am......life is sweet!

:D

jefhatfield
May 9, 2002, 12:26 PM
san francisco because

1) it's on the edge of pacific rim
2) sf is home of multimedia
3) sf is near san jose/silicon valley
4) moscone center and macworld
5) adobe is in san jose nearby
6) apple is in cupertino nearby
7) apple, adobe, dell, microsoft, ibm, hp, toshiba, ti, sun, intel, motorola, amd, macromedia, and many others have this area as home or have a major presence here

8) and finally, sf could host any freakshow ...probably second in america right behind new orleans and all that flashing that goes on:D

3rdpath
May 9, 2002, 12:28 PM
love those tourist questions:

"hey, i know where you got those shoes. for 5 bucks i'll tell ya."

or

" for five bucks i bet i can tell ya what state you where born in."

i spent so much money that night just to hear the answers.

only in new orleans. too funny

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath

" for five bucks i bet i can tell ya what state you where born in."

i spent so much money that night just to hear the answers.

only in new orleans. too funny

Is this for real? Someone actually wants to bet you they could figure out what state you were born in? Ha, that would be the easiest money I ever won.

mymemory
May 9, 2002, 12:35 PM
I'm between New Orleans and San Francisco. I haven't been in any. New Orleans is very popular because of the fun stuff.

Now, the only problem with San Francisco is that there are too many gay people there, imagine if some one teke me a picture in SF with a bunch of guys togather!!!

The good thing is that we could do a "geek field trip" to all mayor soft manofactures pro and cons Apple products.

We can even start our own Apple riot against M$!!!!

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
new orleans sounds great but PLEASE not in july or august-geeeez its friggin hot and humid there.

great food, music and drinks, mmmmmm,mmmmmmm good.

and a lucky dog "loaded" at 3:00am......life is sweet!

:D

OMG, dude Lucky Dog's. I like the sausage one. Man, that is a great feeling at 3AM. Then wake up at 9 and go to the Cafe for Coffee and Beniets. (I can't spell French Stuff)

Taft
May 9, 2002, 12:42 PM
Talk about centrally located! You couldn't pick a more accessible place.

Taft

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by mymemory
I'm between New Orleans and San Francisco. I haven't been in any. New Orleans is very popular because of the fun stuff.

Now, the only problem with San Francisco is that there are too many gay people there, imagine if some one teke me a picture in SF with a bunch of guys togather!!!

The good thing is that we could do a "geek field trip" to all mayor soft manofactures pro and cons Apple products.

We can even start our own Apple riot against M$!!!!

Hey, Hey, none of that! We accept all people. I don't care what people do as long as they are not blowing ***** up, and they live in peace.

New Orleans would be great, and yes, they do try that betting stuff, but don't ever do it for you will loose.

EX. I bet I can tell you how many kids your daddy had.

Tourist: Ok

ConMan: None, your momma had em all.

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Taft
Talk about centrally located! You couldn't pick a more accessible place.

Taft

I love Chicago. I did basic training at Great Mistakes.....

Great Pizza there....

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 12:46 PM
After this one is closed.. Lets take the top two and vote on them. Someone may have a preference on the top two and voted early for one they know know will not win....

mischief
May 9, 2002, 12:46 PM
-mymemory

Oh! Child I could get you so CUTE in a mini and some nice dark lipstick!! Like John Leguizamo as the Drag Princess!!! What colour wig would you like? I'm a certified makeup artist and I guarantee you'll have your own machismo friends hitting on you back home. (tosses head and giggles)

(switches off the flip)

Actually I AM a makeup artist in addition to my Geek talents. If I was to shave my beard I can do a drag to put Snipes to shame. :D

arn
May 9, 2002, 12:47 PM
:)

Ok, if you guys seriously want to meet up - an independant gathering just isn't going to draw people in...

Start slow...

I think it'd be great if you all wanted to meet up at a MacWorld Expo New York. We'll try to plan for one at MWSF as well...

I think getting a booth or gathering in some other place is not going to be very productive (ie. realistic)...

arn

AlphaTech
May 9, 2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
After this one is closed.. Lets take the top two and vote on them. Someone may have a preference on the top two and voted early for one they know know will not win....

Let's not and say we didn't...

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by arn
:)

Ok, if you guys seriously want to meet up - an independant gathering just isn't going to draw people in...

Start slow...

I think it'd be great if you all wanted to meet up at a MacWorld Expo New York. We'll try to plan for one at MWSF as well...

I think getting a booth or gathering in some other place is not going to be very productive (ie. realistic)...

arn

I think that would be great eventually, but that is big money there. This is an alternative just to get to know each other. Even if only 10 people actually show up it is a start, and from there we can plan for the future. I am committed to going no matter where it is, it is just a matter of deciding and then saying OK lets RSVP and then make sure that it will happen.

Alpha. you smart A$$ ;)

menoinjun
May 9, 2002, 12:59 PM
I'm originally from NY, but now I live in Pittburgh. I am going to try and make it to MWNY, but if I can't get in, I'd still love to meet you all somewhere in NY City.

As for another city...I vote New Orleans...god I love that city!!

-Pete

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Is this for real? Someone actually wants to bet you they could figure out what state you were born in? Ha, that would be the easiest money I ever won.

oh yeah...it's only the tourists who actually go for the bait though... :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 01:16 PM
I vote for just a get together at first. We don't have to do it in conjunction with the expo. Just have a party:D Avoid any responsibilities. Make it a vacation. Bring the kids. The wife.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by mymemory
Now, the only problem with San Francisco is that there are too many gay people there, imagine if some one teke me a picture in SF with a bunch of guys togather!!!

I hate to burst your bubble mymemory...but there are sections of the French Quarter that are known to be gay...

I know San Francisco has the reputation for being the "capital" or whatever...but u get the idea...

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I vote for just a get together at first. We don't have to do it in conjunction with the expo. Just have a party:D Avoid any responsibilities. Make it a vacation. Bring the kids. The wife.

I agree totally. We don't all have to meet in one place though. I know that personally, economically right now the South is the best option for me. Let's just see what happens. If New Orleans wins out, then Eye and I can organize it.

cleo
May 9, 2002, 01:33 PM
(MM, you bound and determined to piss me off, aren't you?)

As for a gathering... I'm doing 48 credit hours between now and this time next year, so my chances of getting away on holiday are slim to none. I will, however, be in Athens GA briefly in June if anyone wants to join me for a burrito... :D

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by cleo
(MM, you bound and determined to piss me off, aren't you?)

As for a gathering... I'm doing 48 credit hours between now and this time next year, so my chances of getting away on holiday are slim to none. I will, however, be in Athens GA briefly in June if anyone wants to join me for a burrito... :D

and mymemory ducks for cover... :cool:

anyway...where is Athens in relation to Atlanta?

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 01:48 PM
I'll probably be in St. Pete in December, Cleo. My wife's from down there. I might have a hard time explaining meeting though.....

But the Moon Under Water Tavern has Bass on tap, I make a point to go there every time I'm in St. Pete.

cleo
May 9, 2002, 01:58 PM
Shuttup!!! I LOVE Moon Under Water! Wow, I put Tampa in my profile because everyone knows where it is, but I've actually lived in St. Pete for about 10 years. Wicked!

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by cleo
Shuttup!!! I LOVE Moon Under Water! Wow, I put Tampa in my profile because everyone knows where it is, but I've actually lived in St. Pete for about 10 years. Wicked!

OMG! Didn't you see my post under Macs and Food, I think. I went on about their curry. Damn great place. I've actually got some pics online, from our wedding down there last year, after the rehersal dinner we all went over to MUW and stayed until real late.

Where abouts in St. Pete?

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by cleo
(MM, you bound and determined to piss me off, aren't you?)

As for a gathering... I'm doing 48 credit hours between now and this time next year, so my chances of getting away on holiday are slim to none. I will, however, be in Athens GA briefly in June if anyone wants to join me for a burrito... :D

I don't think that you would have problems finding takers on meeting you for anything.

My Irish eyes are cryin....

Eye, Athens is about 45 minutes to 1 hour to the east North (corrected by Cleo) east of Atlanta. Not a bad drive at all. Hell, come this way, hang out here and then go meet Cleo. Oh, and take a camera. Just in case. ;)


Hey what is that in those bushes over there? Oh, its MM

cleo
May 9, 2002, 02:19 PM
Eye: Athens is about an hour NE of Atlanta, depending on traffic. Neat town.

Duke: Eeeep! Where did you get married? I lived in Gulfport during high school, then near downtown for three years with friends for school (USF). Now I've moved up-county to Clearwater with some more friends, closer to my parents (who are in Dunedin), but I'm in St. Pete every day. I think it is just one of the coolest cities, especially now with all of the restaurants and such downtown.

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by cleo
Eye: Athens is about an hour NE of Atlanta, depending on traffic. Neat town.

Duke: Eeeep! Where did you get married? I lived in Gulfport during high school, then near downtown for three years with friends for school (USF). Now I've moved up-county to Clearwater with some more friends, closer to my parents (who are in Dunedin), but I'm in St. Pete every day. I think it is just one of the coolest cities, especially now with all of the restaurants and such downtown.

HA! My great great grandmother lives in Clearwater. Again. Small world. I though Athens was south east. Oh, well its been 7 years since I have been there. :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 02:23 PM
it's on my list of places to see....Atlanta...

but a 45 min drive isn't so bad...

damn...we may start calling this "Geek Tour USA 2002!" :D

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
it's on my list of places to see....Atlanta...

but a 45 min drive isn't so bad...

damn...we may start calling this "Geek Tour USA 2002!" :D

I wish I had the time/money. I would leave here, and go to every Apple store in the US. Now that would be fun. Stop in on everyone and meet everyone. Hey how long are we going to let this run before we "close the polls".

Atlanta is fun, especially Buckhead. Great place to party, just hotter than anywhere in the summer. Worse than New Orleans by far.

D0ct0rteeth
May 9, 2002, 02:56 PM
like the mastercard ad w/ the baseball stadiums!!!

thats a great idea...

once in college I knew some cats who went to every tacobell in SW pennsylvania.. think they had to start heading into ohio and w. virginia by graduation time :)

ahh.. those were the days....

C-

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by cleo
Duke: Eeeep! Where did you get married? I lived in Gulfport during high school, then near downtown for three years with friends for school (USF). Now I've moved up-county to Clearwater with some more friends, closer to my parents (who are in Dunedin), but I'm in St. Pete every day. I think it is just one of the coolest cities, especially now with all of the restaurants and such downtown.

Got married at St. Paul's Catholic Church had the reception at the Mirror Lake Lyceum. I really do like the city, we even talked about possibly moving down there, but DC is just too good for both of us right now.

We haven't met, right?

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 03:04 PM
New quad processor G5 Rackmount server: 10,000 dollars
New G5 tower: 3,400 dollars
23 inch HDTV Cinema Display: 3,499 dollars
New iMac: 1,800 dollars

Going to every Apple Retail Store in the Country just to make sure they have them:

Priceless.

For clone computing there is Microsoft and Intel. For everyone else there is Apple.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Hey how long are we going to let this run before we "close the polls".


I'll shut it down around 6:00 my time....

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
New quad processor G5 Rackmount server: 10,000 dollars
New G5 tower: 3,400 dollars
23 inch HDTV Cinema Display: 3,499 dollars
New iMac: 1,800 dollars


What exactly are you talking about here?

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


What exactly are you talking about here?

Just a joke on the Visa commericals. See previous post by Doctorteeth.

That would be a funny add though. It would be neat to see Apple team up with Visa for one of those ads.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 03:26 PM
Ok, got it, stupid of me. Thought I missed a good rumor somewherehttp://www.dukestreet.com/AS/rolleyes.gif

mischief
May 9, 2002, 03:32 PM
Give us a link for those goofy little guys.............. please!!!!!!:(

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 03:37 PM
They're mine for now.http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/twisted.gif I'll put them somewhere that won't have an effect on my website. If everyone starts downloading them for the posts my traffic could go through the roof.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by mischief
Give us a link for those goofy little guys.............. please!!!!!!:(

he he he....I want some too... :p :eek:

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 04:20 PM
How about if I post them to a thread and you can all download them yourselves?http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/clap.gif

AlphaTech
May 9, 2002, 04:20 PM
Hey dukestreet, where did you get the evil face???? I WANT IT!!! Do you have those posted someplace?? Sorry about getting a late jump on dis, but I HAVE been working today :D... Need to at least some of the time you know.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Hey dukestreet, where did you get the evil face???? I WANT IT!!! Do you have those posted someplace?? Sorry about getting a late jump on dis, but I HAVE been working today :D... Need to at least some of the time you know.

I hear that...I obviously didn't get much done today...

been an "interesting" day to say the least...

u will hear about it no doubt... ;)

britboy
May 9, 2002, 04:39 PM
You want more smilies? Find them if you can.... :p


http://www.btinternet.com/~tonyrichardson/bounce.gif

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 04:42 PM
but a little fun!!

menoinjun
May 9, 2002, 04:59 PM
Well, to get back on topic...;)

I'm going to be taking a major road trip starting June 5th. In order I'm hitting:

Louisville
New Orleans
Austin
El Paso
Pheonix
San Diego
LA
San Francisco
LA (again)
Las Vegas
Flagstaff
Albuquerque
Oklahoma City
St. Louis
Indianapolis
Columbus
and finally back to Pittsburgh

I should be gone for about a month. I'll keep you all informed, but does anyone want to meet in any of those cities?

-Pete

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by ptrauber
I should be gone for about a month. I'll keep you all informed, but does anyone want to meet in any of those cities?

-Pete

he he....I'll be in New Orleans...

San Francisco may also happen...

may be going to Phoenix...

please...don't mention Oklahoma City :mad:

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
please...don't mention Oklahoma City :mad:

So you going to spill, or do we have to drag it out? Its obvious that its female related.....

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


So you going to spill, or do we have to drag it out? Its obvious that its female related.....

:rolleyes: hmm...um.....yeah....

that's where she went....that's what I lost her to...

which of the "Macs & ____" threads would this fit best in?

IMINDELLHELL
May 9, 2002, 05:43 PM
hey this is my first post. looking forward to getting a mac. as you can tell im in dell hell. the convention should definitly be held in new orleans. any probs with that????

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by IMINDELLHELL
hey this is my first post. looking forward to getting a mac. as you can tell im in dell hell. the convention should definitly be held in new orleans. any probs with that????

well welcome then! :D

I gotta ask...why New Orleans?

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


which of the "Macs & ____" threads would this fit best in?

Well several new ones come to mind

Macs and Pain
Macs and Loss
Macs and Getting Dumped
Macs and Ex's

Probably all not what you need right now. Sorry to hear things took a bad turn. It seems you had been having some issues over the past week or so.

If you want, I'd give you my best (worst) dump story.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Probably all not what you need right now. Sorry to hear things took a bad turn. It seems you had been having some issues over the past week or so.

If you want, I'd give you my best (worst) dump story.

he he he....I can't believe I just made it...

let's keep this one back to the topic...

redirect the therapy & hugs in the new one...he he he ;)

once again....reminding me of Fight Club... :D

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 10:46 PM
Well, its a tie. Lets have two one out west, and one in the South. Those who voted for your perspective places, meet there. Eye, lets organize the South meeting. After the parties, we can post the results on the site.

Whaddya think?

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 10:49 PM
i was gone all day. and there's freaking 5 pages on this ****e already.

someone fill me in, unless it's REALLY worth reading all that you geeks had to say.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 10:49 PM
hell....I'd be down with having two meetings...

I do have an airline ticket to anywhere I want with Delta now....so the west coast won't be a problem for me...

so we've got a tie...

u guys gonna really come down the Big Easy???

or shall we do the west coast first? ;)

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i was gone all day. and there's freaking 5 pages on this ****e already.

someone fill me in, unless it's REALLY worth reading all that you geeks had to say.

make a quick vote....

where would u be willing to go to meet us "geeks?" :D

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 10:55 PM
I'm just waiting for someone to commit to something. We really should meet, but if it takes multiple venues, so be it. Maybe QT6 and video streaming will be available by then and we can set up some MacRumor Party Cams to get all of us to virtually meet.

Then we can all do the geek dance, or is it secret handshake, I forget....

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


make a quick vote....

where would u be willing to go to meet us "geeks?" :D

i voted. i went with nyc. but i could do dc too.

as i said elsewhere, my concern is the geek per square foot fire codes... someone should look into that.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 11:17 PM
well I am passed the time I said I'd close the poll...

but I feel like I need to leave it open...

and I have a feeling that we've all voted...but not many are going to go through with it...

I'm planning on going to a few cities this summer...so I can do whatever...

but we gotta decide on something for everyone to agree upon..

what is it gonna be?! :) :eek: :confused:

IMINDELLHELL
May 9, 2002, 11:20 PM
sOUNDS GREAT. i'M JUST READY FOR SOME CRAWFISH AND GUMBO BROTHER!!!

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by IMINDELLHELL
sOUNDS GREAT. i'M JUST READY FOR SOME CRAWFISH AND GUMBO BROTHER!!!

he he he....I do think New Orleans would the best party place for everyone....

but it's a matter of getting them to come out...

maybe I should look into group room rates? ;)

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 11:33 PM
Well, lets pick a date, and I will be in New Orleans with Tara, and my little girl. I am 100% committed to it. July? Beginning of July ok with everyone? That is great for me, how about everyone else that voted for New Orleans.

Backtothemac
May 9, 2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


he he he....I do think New Orleans would the best party place for everyone....

but it's a matter of getting them to come out...

maybe I should look into group room rates? ;)

Call the Mariot. There is also a small hotel on Dauphine called the Grenoble house. Ask to speak to Chantal. Tell her you know Chuck Stacey and that we need a few rooms. See what kind of summer rate she would give us for the weekend. That is one thing about New Orleans in the summer. Rates are low, even in the quarter. Plus I know a fine a$$ redhead there that would love Cleo. And I mean fine A$$!@

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Call the Mariot. There is also a small hotel on Dauphine called the Grenoble house. Ask to speak to Chantal. Tell her you know Chuck Stacey and that we need a few rooms. See what kind of summer rate she would give us for the weekend. That is one thing about New Orleans in the summer. Rates are low, even in the quarter. Plus I know a fine a$$ redhead there that would love Cleo. And I mean fine A$$!@

you sound like a pimp...

"tell them you know...." and "i got a fine ass red head for cleo"..

work it pimpy pimperton

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 07:53 AM
eye:

in response to your comment in the now closed thread concerning making you laugh your ass off...

glad i could be of service. a laughter is worth a thousand.... things. with the.

i forget what i was going to say

D0ct0rteeth
May 10, 2002, 07:59 AM
from what i am reading i think there is a definite drunkin orgy goin' down in New Orleans this summer.... I know some peeps.. Backtothemac has some girls on call..

its all good...

just let me know when and where i park the caddy... and how many midgets to bring :)

C-

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 08:02 AM
Yes, in a former life my name was Dr. Detroit....

Man, I just love it down in New Orleans. I can tell you that it will be something to remember. Especially if you have never been. Anyway. When live down there for a while, you get to know people, and they will always hook you up when you need them.

C

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Yes, in a former life my name was Dr. Detroit....

Man, I just love it down in New Orleans. I can tell you that it will be something to remember. Especially if you have never been. Anyway. When live down there for a while, you get to know people, and they will always hook you up when you need them.
C

hey man, call it what you will... hooking up, something to remember...

it all equals multiple boxes worth of body shots to me.

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


hey man, call it what you will... hooking up, something to remember...

it all equals multiple boxes worth of body shots to me.

{in a badly slured voice}
Jello.... Man, do one off, off of her chest next.

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac


{in a badly slured voice}
Jello.... Man, do one off, off of her chest next.

ha. that's great that you'd call me jello.... haha.

{in a perfectly sober voice}
back to da mac... man, tap dat ass

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Yes, in a former life my name was Dr. Detroit....


Anything to do with the movie

DOCTOR DETROIT

Tagline: He's making the world safe for insanity.

Plot Outline: A timid college professor, conned into posing as a flamboyant pimp, finds himself enjoying his new occupation on the streets. (more)

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Anything to do with the movie

DOCTOR DETROIT

Tagline: He's making the world safe for insanity.

Plot Outline: A timid college professor, conned into posing as a flamboyant pimp, finds himself enjoying his new occupation on the streets. (more)

ironic that this movie comes up now.... my friend just mentioned it yesterday, and i'd never heard of it before that

some type of conspiracy to mess with my head i think......

doesn't sound as good as "american pimp" though... check it out!

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 08:44 AM
Duke, man I am impressed with that... That was one of my favorite movies. Remember when Dan was trying to get the black guy to kick his A$$. That was a great flic. Also, Fran Dresher was hot then wasn't she.

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Duke, man I am impressed with that... That was one of my favorite movies. Remember when Dan was trying to get the black guy to kick his A$$. That was a great flic. Also, Fran Dresher was hot then wasn't she.

It was one of the silliest movies I'd seen at the time. It came out before Ghostbusters, which I think he did a better job and was a bit more successful in getting recognition with. I haven't seen it in 10 years probably, might have to did it up at the local video store. We have a local place that has more movies than Blockbuster. If the movie is out its probably at the Video Vault.

Hey Jello, that's worth a trip to Old Town, if you're in the area.

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 09:32 AM
so then I guess it's looking like New Orleans?

who's coming now??

shall we start a new thread to get that stuff straightened out??

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
so then I guess it's looking like New Orleans?

who's coming now??

shall we start a new thread to get that stuff straightened out??

Start it up and lets find out who is coming. Call it the Geek Fest New Orleans Thread.

mischief
May 10, 2002, 10:35 AM
Us west coasters are just crawling our asses out of bed and it's decided??

Hows this for a venue:

www.circus.com

Grokgod
May 10, 2002, 10:58 AM
oh just saw this post and its closing?

A> How many posts does someone have to have to join in? :)

B> Dress code, I dont think that army style is mac like.
We need Gap like clothes , white pants white shirt etc.
C> San Fran, is the best! I vote for there, if my vote counts for anything.
I know I have only been around a short time, but I have tried to be a
contributer.
I could drive to San Fran easy and I think its a major hub for others to get to
via the airlines and its a great city for food, girls, apple stores, etc

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 11:01 AM
dude...anyone can join in...

that's why it's not in the "private" forum...he he he...

I haven't closed it down yet...but it's looking like New Orleans at this point...

make your vote....

I hate to piss people off here...but we will need to shut this down soon enough... :rolleyes: :)

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
It was one of the silliest movies I'd seen at the time. It came out before Ghostbusters, which I think he did a better job and was a bit more successful in getting recognition with. I haven't seen it in 10 years probably, might have to did it up at the local video store. We have a local place that has more movies than Blockbuster. If the movie is out its probably at the Video Vault.

Hey Jello, that's worth a trip to Old Town, if you're in the area.

what's worth a trip? the video vault?...

i just got my bbuster gold card... hmm.

i'm leaving in about an hour. heading to my bro's work in gaithersburg, then on to the apple store! yes!

papa needs a new set of tibooks

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


what's worth a trip? the video vault?...

i just got my bbuster gold card... hmm.

i'm leaving in about an hour. heading to my bro's work in gaithersburg, then on to the apple store! yes!

papa needs a new set of tibooks

Hey, Grab me a T-shirt. When you get back let me know how much it is, and I will pay you. Oh, don't get a goofy one either ;) Seriously, if you can, grab me one. If not, its cool :cool:

Have a good time, and post to us from the Apple Store :D

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac


Hey, Grab me a T-shirt. When you get back let me know how much it is, and I will pay you. Oh, don't get a goofy one either ;) Seriously, if you can, grab me one. If not, its cool :cool:

Have a good time, and post to us from the Apple Store :D

wait, you want a tysons apple store t-shirt? you serious?

let me know.... they're probably 15 bucks or something eh?

word. i'll at least set up a computer or 10 to macrumors.com

cleo
May 10, 2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


wait, you want a tysons apple store t-shirt? you serious?

let me know.... they're probably 15 bucks or something eh?

word. i'll at least set up a computer or 10 to macrumors.com

They make Apple Store tshirts? Sweet, now I AM going on a road trip this summer. :)

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 11:57 AM
hmm....so we've gotta get the final word from everyone...

is there gonna be a final showdown between B2TM & mischief?! :D :eek:

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


wait, you want a tysons apple store t-shirt? you serious?

let me know.... they're probably 15 bucks or something eh?

word. i'll at least set up a computer or 10 to macrumors.com

Oh, hell yea. Tyson's was the first wasn't it. Yea, grab me one if you don't mind. XXL. :D

Just let me know how much it is, and I will send you the dough.

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
hmm....so we've gotta get the final word from everyone...

is there gonna be a final showdown between B2TM & mischief?! :D :eek:

Sorry, just had to post a relevant and intelligent post about his post where he was explaining his trip. OK, back on topic. Eye, when you putting up the new thread on the Geek Expo?

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac


Oh, hell yea. Tyson's was the first wasn't it. Yea, grab me one if you don't mind. XXL. :D

Just let me know how much it is, and I will send you the dough.

tysons and one in cali were the same day, but tysons (being on the east coast) opened first i believe.

i waited in line about an hour to get in during the afternoon. i happened to be somewhat close with time to kill, so it worked out.

XXL of the one i described in the message i sent you? is that ok?

or have you seen another type that i should get? let me know.

Gelfin
May 10, 2002, 12:54 PM
Well, I suggest SF for the obvious reason.

mymemory, despite its reputation, MOST of San Francisco is quite happily straight, and believe it or not, nobody is going to bend you over and put a weenie in you before you can enter the city.

The weather is beautiful most of the year (you can get away from the heat in the summer or the cold in the winter), and there's all kinds of cool stuff to do in the area.

My suggestion is to have the Geek Expo in early January in SF (if you see where I'm going with this). It might be a little rainy, but you won't need a parka. My ulterior motive is that my birthday falls during MWSF and you could all buy me drinks. :D

krossfyter
May 10, 2002, 01:26 PM
Man im soo late on this one. Sorry guys i have been really busy.

Im wondering how far new orleans is from where im at. that might be the best option for me. i dont think i could swing anyone to austin.
im glad you all are organizing this. this is a good idea. great job eyelikeart.

Backtothemac
May 10, 2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
Man im soo late on this one. Sorry guys i have been really busy.

Im wondering how far new orleans is from where im at. that might be the best option for me. i dont think i could swing anyone to austin.
im glad you all are organizing this. this is a good idea. great job eyelikeart.

If you are close to Austin, it is about a 10 hour drive to New Orleans, or fly SouthWest Airlines. They are really cheap.

krossfyter
May 10, 2002, 09:18 PM
nah im actually near Corpus Christi. Thats my hang out spot.

Yeah I would have to do the southwest airlines thing. It is cheap as hell so thats good. It would be interesting to be in New Orleans at a "Geek Expo" meeting all these cool cats on this forum.

jefhatfield
May 10, 2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by mymemory


Now, the only problem with San Francisco is that there are too many gay people there, imagine if some one teke me a picture in SF with a bunch of guys togather!!!


We can even start our own Apple riot against M$!!!!

what will happen then, will that blackmail you in your country and put you in jail:confused: