Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
aarrgghh... i just thought 'hey, the space under the keys looks abit mucky, i'll clean it'

i used to do it with my old pc, and they just popped off. but this obviously isn't the case.

so i just took one off, paniced and thought i'd broken it, but this isnt the case (ive calmed down abit now) everything is intact. but, how do i get the bloody thing back on? theres like one side thats a hook, then the other side has two things for it to hook on to? anyone done this before?

please help!

quite a good pic:

DSC00061.JPG

you can see where they need to hook on to, but i just cant do it, and im kinda scared im gonna break something.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
You need to take the plastic scissor off the key and then reattach the scissor to the keyboard first.

You need to hook it under the tab on the right-hand side and then lift the scissor away from the keyboard slightly and hook the 2 claws into the catches on the left side.

It is quite tricky but if you take your time you will manage it.

The keys do just pop off (like your PC) but one in 10 come away with the scissors still attached. So you should be good for the next 9 or so !!

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
thanks for the quick reply, but i'm admitting defeat abit here. it seems tht i did break it :(

one of the two tabs that keep both parts of the scissor clip together has broken off. although i thought it would be ok i cant seem to figure out how to get it back together the right way and attach it to the keyboard.

so i think i'm just gonna buy a new key cap :eek:

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
i've done it :)

what can only be described as a extreme game of operation, with two small flat end screwdrivers i got the thing in there. works alrite, but like i said, i kinda bust it so it might not last so long, but who cares! :D

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
i've done it :)

what can only be described as a extreme game of operation, with two small flat end screwdrivers i got the thing in there. works alrite, but like i said, i kinda bust it so it might not last so long, but who cares! :D

You can buy individual keycaps and scissors on eBay - they are about $6 or so.

If it breaks you will know how to change it.......it is not easy to explain but usually you have to lift the scissor up a bit into the air in order to push the tabs on the left hand side in - and yes 3 hands would be useful too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.