Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickyB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Hi,

I have a problem with my Mac Mini. Every time I insert a DVD, I hear a noise as if it's trying to read it. This continues for about 30 seconds before the disk ejects. At no time does it mount on the desktop. The behaviour is identical under Mac OS X 10.5.2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3.

CDs work fine. The last time I tried a DVD was several months ago. I only noticed the problem today.

I tried Zapping the PRAM and unplugging the Mac mini and then plugging it back in, but nothing seems to work.

The mini is a 2.0 GHz model with a Superdrive.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I presume you have tried different DVDs? My mini sometimes does that with dirty DVDs. If it kicks it out it means it can't read it. I have a few older DVDs that won't work in the mini, but will play on a DVD player.

RickyB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

I presume you have tried different DVDs? My mini sometimes does that with dirty DVDs. If it kicks it out it means it can't read it. I have a few older DVDs that won't work in the mini, but will play on a DVD player.

I have tried several DVDs, both data and video. I think I'll have to get it checked out. Does anyone know whether my local AppleCentre (I'm in the UK) will be able to fix it for free, or would I have to take it to the Apple Retail Store in Manchester where I bought it? It's still under warrenty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.