PDA

View Full Version : More November 28th Apple Store Event Details

MacRumors
Nov 20, 2003, 09:11 PM
Apple is now advertising (http://www.apple.com/retail/) for the November 28th Apple Store event on their retail store page (http://www.apple.com/retail/).

Someone you know loves music
You’ll want to kick off your holiday shopping at the Apple Store. We’ll be hosting an all-day shopping event designed especially for the music lovers on your list. Whether they’re Mac or Windows users, you’ll find a scintillating array of gifts, plus, a few surprises in store for you.

Local Apple Stores have started advertising the event as well, according to reader submissions.

Our previous report (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031119044012.shtml) on the event noted iTunes Gift Certificate sales, free iTunes Software CDs and discounts. More specifically, based on reports, Apple will be offering 10% all Music-related items including iPods, Accessories and Software.

x86isslow
Nov 20, 2003, 09:15 PM
looks like i'll be heading over to cambridgeside to get me an ipod!

coumerelli
Nov 20, 2003, 09:19 PM
I believe I will indeeeeed be going to an apple store on that day!!! woohooo!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

cofdogbud
Nov 20, 2003, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happens!

LethalWolfe
Nov 20, 2003, 09:20 PM
Oh no. 10% off iPod? I... can't... resist...

Lethal

odenshaw
Nov 20, 2003, 09:20 PM
well, on second thought, I'll just give you 10% off your first hit. I mean, I gotta eat you know

celaurie
Nov 20, 2003, 09:29 PM
Funny that they manage to roll out a UK Music Store for Christmas... Did I say that out loud... Ooops!

azdude
Nov 20, 2003, 09:31 PM
I usually try to avoid malls on "the biggest shopping day of the year," but I may make it to my Chandler Apple Store just to check it out.

Mosco
Nov 20, 2003, 09:35 PM
I need to buy 3 ipods for christmas, this seems like the perfect deal.

azdude
Nov 20, 2003, 09:37 PM
Damn, mosco... is one for me?? Oh, wait... I already have 3 ;)

~Shard~
Nov 20, 2003, 09:52 PM
Damn, I wish Canada had Apple stores... Sounds like it will be quite the event! I wonder what other surprises Jobs has up his sleeve that will be announced. So soon after iPod updates I can't imagine anything too major, but I guess you never know. I'm still estimating an April/May timeframe for some major updates, whether it be smaller size, larger HD, color screen, who knows. Whatever it will be, the 4G iPods will be sweet! Damn, I hate playing the waiting game though.... ;)

Freg3000
Nov 20, 2003, 09:55 PM
Heh....I suppose "in store" has two meanings in this case. :D

mahermusic
Nov 20, 2003, 09:57 PM

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 10:02 PM
Probably the 3rd product that no one knows what it is. And since it has to do with music?

But I could see them annouce the Canadian Music Store since Canada has been very eager to get online with Apple...which all and all would help boost Canadian iPod sales.

I don't think the European Store will open until the 2nd qtr of next yr.

Hey does anyone know if an Apple Store is being built in or around London? I've heard alot folks talking about it.

I know there is suppose to be like 4 more Apple stores opening up in US in 1st qtr of next yr.

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by mahermusic
There are rumors that the in-store event on the 28th will be, among other things, introduction of iTunes Music Store International.

Maybe, and maybe not... BUT.......

Outside the Menlo Park (NJ) Apple Store, they have the usual little cardboard sign on a tripod announcing the "all day" event, above a picture of a silhouetted person holding an iPod (you know the one).

In the bottom right hand corner of the sign... it says

"Cheers"

Hmm sounds promising.

I wonder if this could mean Euro Store is Ready to go online now?? if so Jobs just screwed everyone just getting into the online music saling music.

Or could it be just wink of Apple Stores to appear in the UK??
I know they are next to get one on the list behind Japan which opens it's store on the 30th. Freakin 5 floor Apple Store...makes me want to goto Japan.

blueflame
Nov 20, 2003, 10:14 PM
Can i be on your christmas list!
hehe
Andreas

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 10:22 PM
I'll say now if they comeout with a video iPod which to me could run $749 bucks I'll buy one. The Sony video player just came out in Japan for like $750 bucks...so to me this could be the 3rd mystery product.

Oh and Job's will probably say and now we are opening a NetFlick's type download section to the Music Store called iVideo or something like that. Now download your movies to your iPod or computer legally!!
We expect to go internationally with it as soon as the International Music Store opens!! Which happens to be the next annoucement!

Now if that happens I can believe Apple will have 90% of the online buying market with international support which no-one else as of yet has cracked.

hulugu
Nov 20, 2003, 10:23 PM
I know there is suppose to be like 4 more Apple stores opening up in US in 1st qtr of next yr. [/B][/QUOTE]

Tucson, AZ store in Dec. for sure.

Ja Di ksw
Nov 20, 2003, 10:26 PM
hmmm, don't I feel like an idiot for buying an iPod last night online. Well, not really, since I'm hours away from any apple store and wouldn't travel there. Unless they come out with a new iPod. Then, I will feel like a huge, HUGE idiot.

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by hulugu
I know there is suppose to be like 4 more Apple stores opening up in US in 1st qtr of next yr.

Tucson, AZ store in Dec. for sure.

Yeah when I was stationed in AZ I always wanted to visit the Apple Store but it was like an all day damn drive to just get there..so it's just my luck they build one in Tuscan just as I left!

They are suppose to build one in Mobile, AL here...which is like 6hrs away but atleast it's closer then other stores. It hasn't been built but it was listed as a store going into new mall thats opening up sometime in the first qtr of next yr.

arnette
Nov 20, 2003, 10:43 PM
10% off an iPod is nothing to get excited about. Amazon sells them 10% off (at least) all the time with free shipping and no tax.

I'm a little disenchanted with iPod's standings against iRiver, Dell, and some of the other HD players. Here's hoping they REALLY lower the price or maybe even up the built-in features soon.

Yeah, I know it won't happen.

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 11:05 PM
Whattcha talkin' about Willis??

I have friends that work in both CompUSA and BestBusy and they said the damn things are flying off the shelves.
CompUSA is having problems now keeping them in stock here and thats the same for BB's.

My friend at CompUSA said they sold 100 iPods last week and only sold like 3 Dell's.
My BB's friend doesn't know how many store sold all week but he sold 30 just by himself. He said parents just come in on lunch breaks and ask where is your cheapest iPod and he gives the 10GB and they ask do I need batteries or anything else and he says you might need the dock and insurance and they usually always buy those too.

The iPod's are flying off the shelves so it be stupid to drop the price now. I know of about 15 folks that just went out and bought 10-20-30-40GB iPod's and they are all Windows folks except for one.

BB is doing open box deals because when they sold out here they sold the demo's at discount of $50 bucks off the overall new price.

The iPod or MP3 player is the #2 item on every kids list according to recent surveys and #1 is PS2,Cube, and Xbox.

gwuMACaddict
Nov 20, 2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by arnette

I'm a little disenchanted with iPod's standings against iRiver, Dell, and some of the other HD players. Here's hoping they REALLY lower the price or maybe even up the built-in features soon.

i dont mind the few extra bucks for a player that doesnt look like what my dog leaves out in the front yard...

that being said... apple is going to drop the prices substantially to compete during the christmas season with everyone else who has an mp3 player.

and it would be nice to get some new, not-so-crappy earbuds.

Counterfit
Nov 20, 2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
and it would be nice to get some new, not-so-crappy earbuds. I hope by "not-so-crappy" you don't mean "audiophile-quality". Those things can be more than twice the price of an iPod! :eek: I hope there are some price drops though, that would make my prospects of getting an iPod a bit better :)

ITR 81
Nov 20, 2003, 11:20 PM
Just get a refurb from Apple or smalldog.com if you can't afford a new one.

If Apple doesn't annouce a price decrease by the end of the month it's not going to happen and with the way they are selling I doubt Apple will.

AmigoMac
Nov 21, 2003, 12:35 AM
I've been waiting along for my 20 GB... Ohhhh, nice! Sweeet!;)

adamberti
Nov 21, 2003, 12:38 AM
In the bottom right hand corner of the sign... it says

"Cheers"

I say cheers a lot, and when I was travelling Australia/Asia I received comments that Canadians say 'Cheers' a lot.....Wow, that's a really big stretch.

But one can always dream can't they?

jayscheuerle
Nov 21, 2003, 07:59 AM
Every retail store in the United States has giant sales on the 28th.

JohnStrass
Nov 21, 2003, 08:04 AM
10% off an iPod is nothing to get excited about. Amazon sells them 10% off (at least) all the time with free shipping and no tax.

I think Apple actually has the price right, despite the (up to) $175 profit they make on each of them. People will actually pay for quality:

Now the PC nuts on my research floor are buying iPods too. Including one who bought some crappy MP3 plaver (cheaper than iPod 1 year ago) and now wants to upgrade to an iPod even on her Grad student budget. I hate to say ity but build a better mousetrap...

VeeDubMac
Nov 21, 2003, 08:25 AM

If you only compare the specs of different HD-based mp3 players, sure the iPod might get beat, but all it takes is to USE them and the iPod is ALWAYS the winner- hands down.

"The iPod will change your life"

azdude
Nov 21, 2003, 09:05 AM
Why would Apple release iTunes international at a US all day in-store event? Who here would care? We're Americans, remember.

Cheers or not, use your heads, guys.

Compufix
Nov 21, 2003, 09:40 AM
What would be great if Apple would also sell iTunes gift certificates at all the stores that also sell iPod's. That would be a great Christmas gift with a nice stocking stuffer as well.

Buy an iPod and get 5-10 free songs would be nice also, but I think buying gift certificates at the same place you buy the iPod just makes sense.

jcshas
Nov 21, 2003, 09:42 AM
you’ll find a scintillating array of gifts...

"scintillating"...my new favorite word of the day :D

IndyGopher
Nov 21, 2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Compufix
What would be great if Apple would also sell iTunes gift certificates at all the stores that also sell iPod's. That would be a great Christmas gift with a nice stocking stuffer as well.

Buy an iPod and get 5-10 free songs would be nice also, but I think buying gift certificates at the same place you buy the iPod just makes sense.
I agree with you, and I think Apple does, too. But in their version of it, that means you are better off buying the iPod at an Apple Store. Of course there aren't nearly as many Apple Stores as there are CompUSA and Best Buy stores, but Apple has never been above putting their own stores first, (First to get stock of new products, etc) even at the expense of the customer.

Mac Dummy
Nov 21, 2003, 10:37 AM

Yeah, Apple could make the next generation Ipod with a user replaceable battery, like the Creative Zen series, but would hold a charge longer, say 10-16 hrs.

wdlove
Nov 21, 2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Every retail store in the United States has giant sales on the 28th.

But all the other retail stores are not Apple. This will be a special Apple event, it just might be a chance to pickup that very special Mac item that you need or want.

ViRGE
Nov 21, 2003, 03:38 PM
Will this price be availible at the online Apple Store at all? I'm nowhere near a B&M Apple Store, but am looking to get an iPod for my brother, so 10% off would be killer.

hulugu
Nov 21, 2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by VeeDubMac
If you only compare the specs of different HD-based mp3 players, sure the iPod might get beat, but all it takes is to USE them and the iPod is ALWAYS the winner- hands down.

"The iPod will change your life"

I agree, someone mentioned this on Slashdot a few weeks ago when C|Net
ran an article '5 Reasons not to buy an iPod'
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-5102324-1.html

From the Slashdot post:
"Yeah. I liked this article...it reminded me of one of those Kung Fu movies, where each of the five members of a gang has a speciality area in which they can beat the protagonist. Maybe one is an axe wielder, one is tough as nails, one is very fast, etc. Each one of them has an area of expertise in which they are the master.
Of course, in those films, all the protagonist has to do is step outside of that area of expertise and he easily kicks their asses. Which I think is exactly what the iPod does overall, kicks ass.
Yes, it could have more battery life but then it would be larger (like the model they show). Since its small size and weight are what make it perfect for sitting in pockets or running with without getting sore hands, that wouldn't be that useful to me.
Yes, it could be solid state...but then it would also have a TINY capacity, the biggest player they listed was 512 meg and there's no way i could deal with that after overflowing 27.4 gig.
Sure, it could be cheaper...and a total piece of s*** like those CDR units they showed (can't run with it, no interface, no battery life, have to carry a supply of discs with you, unwieldy). Sure, voice recording would be nice, and it's coming...that was the point of adding the dock connector.
And as for "choice in music services"...well, I choose iTunes because AAC ounds so damn good and I have both Macs and PCs. WMA is not an option for me, so I don't have a choice.
Aw, brave iPod. How easily you have destroyed the warriors of the C-net. The spirit of the Wu-tang Clan flows within you -- in fact, the complete DISCOGRAPHY of the Wu-tang Clan flows within you."

I second that, the iPod is easily the best all-round player I've seen. BTW, one of the guys here bought a Dell Jukebox, and it isn't as clunky as I thought it would be, but the interface is odd, and searches through large lists is difficult, but it is still much bigger than my 2G iPod. If I had to do it again, I'd still buy the old iPod.

diehldun
Nov 25, 2003, 08:50 PM
what a shame- i was hopping it would be 10% off everything in the store...

it seems as though it is exclusive to just the music-related items...

DarkPhoenixCA
Nov 27, 2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by hulugu

Tucson, AZ store in Dec. for sure. [/B][/QUOTE]

The San Francisco store is supposed to be opening soon too. From the construction I've seen on Union Square, it may very well be Apple's flagship store (right in their back yard). Woo-hoo!

MacFan-NJ71
Nov 28, 2003, 06:16 AM
Just for everyone's information: Apple has posted the 10% discount on iPods and iPod accessories for today only.

http://www.apple.com/store

iRiKliAN
Nov 28, 2003, 06:38 AM
And that is that.

Aeolius
Nov 28, 2003, 08:14 AM
In the bottom right hand corner of the sign... it says "Cheers"

Free six-pack with every iPod purchase? :D

uv23
Nov 28, 2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by iRiKliAN
And that is that.

What about the "surprises?" I suspect more may be coming, above and beyond a boring little discount. It is early yet in North America.

SoonToGetAMac
Nov 28, 2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Yuval
What about the "surprises?" I suspect more may be coming, above and beyond a boring little discount. It is early yet in North America. Yeah, I think we'll have instore iTMS gift certificates, and some drawings for iPods or accessories.

Counterfit
Nov 28, 2003, 11:36 AM
I've been trying to find out, is the discount good in-store too?

Caddy
Nov 28, 2003, 12:28 PM
Are you guys so loyal that you will only shop at Apple for the ipod. Geez, I've seen it all over for deeper discounts, including on slickdeals.net.

Counterfit
Nov 28, 2003, 12:51 PM
except that the only 20GB iPod deal listed there is from Dell Small Business, and not to mention gone.

edit: a quick search on pricewatch.com shows the cheapest new 20GB iPod at $389. That's $20 more than the education discount, and $29 more than the 10% discount.