PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 15" keeps freezing

stephanne
May 12, 2008, 08:17 PM
Starting today my Powerbook kept on freezing and 3 times words came up on the screen basically saying system failure. It never came up again now, only problem I have is it keeps freezing like after a few minutes I've turned it on.

I saw another thread that it might mean my hard drive is fried?? How do I confirm this? Also I don't know how to back up my "life" from the Powerbook. Should I go to the Apple store and have them look at this or is it not worth my time?

teleromeo
May 12, 2008, 08:20 PM
could be trouble with ram. Remove/reseat the ram module(s) to see what happens.

iToaster
May 12, 2008, 08:31 PM
Most likely that was a kernel panic, and generally you've got a little bit of a problem if it happens more than once. A kernel panic generally indicates a problem with the hardware (most recently, my PB got a lot of kernel panics, then wouldn't recognize 1 Gb of its RAM, resetting the PSU fixed that, but then my hard drive crashed, bad lucky, eh?). I'd say you should go buy an external hard drive and back up your system before anything bad happens, then just continue to use it, making frequent backups.

stephanne
May 12, 2008, 08:38 PM
i reset my RAM and now it won't even turn on anymore.

jjahshik32
May 12, 2008, 10:05 PM
Hope it isnt a logic board issue.

stephanne
May 13, 2008, 12:26 AM
nevermind...it started up again, and hasn't froze yet. i'm really hoping that it won't! haha

i guess resetting the RAM was it for me.

iSaint
May 13, 2008, 06:16 AM
My Powerbook wouldn't wake two straight mornings, and was very hot. I reset PMU, then PRAM (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449), then repaired permissions. It's been fine since.