PDA

View Full Version : Moving from 12" powerbook to new 2.66 iMac! Questions...

skythefly13
May 13, 2008, 12:31 AM
I just recently sold my 12" Powerbook ($610, wahoo!) and it is no longer with me. Basically my external drive which I was using has all my most recent data, backed up data, and iTunes library.
I also recently ordered the 20" 2.66 iMac. I'm very excited, and it will be my second mac. Anyways, I would like to move some (but not ALL) data from my external to my new iMac.

A) How do I keep my iTunes library the same (as in the small info, like recently added, play counts, ratings, etc.) I want my library to move onto the iMac.

B) For iPhoto, will I just need to copy that single file over (which contains everything) and just go with "import to iPhoto"? I would also like these files to be on the iMac.

C) Do I need to go through time machine to find everything else? Seems like it could be a lengthy process if I did it that way...

Thanks for your help!

powerbook911
May 13, 2008, 12:46 AM
I just recently sold my 12" Powerbook ($610, wahoo!) and it is no longer with me. Basically my external drive which I was using has all my most recent data, backed up data, and iTunes library.
I also recently ordered the 20" 2.66 iMac. I'm very excited, and it will be my second mac. Anyways, I would like to move some (but not ALL) data from my external to my new iMac.

A) How do I keep my iTunes library the same (as in the small info, like recently added, play counts, ratings, etc.) I want my library to move onto the iMac.

B) For iPhoto, will I just need to copy that single file over (which contains everything) and just go with "import to iPhoto"? I would also like these files to be on the iMac.

C) Do I need to go through time machine to find everything else? Seems like it could be a lengthy process if I did it that way...

Thanks for your help!

Um, you could use a firewire cable, put the Powerbook in target mode, turn on iMac, and have it take EVERYTHING over from your Powerbook. You do the setting to like transfer everything.

Otherwise, the "iTunes" folder under music, has everything in it, so replace the itunes folder on the imac with the powerbook one, and it would be identical.

Yes, you can do the same with iphoto. Replace the iphoto library psuedo file with your old one, and everything will be identical when you open iphoto.

other things aren't too hard. good luck.

ninjapenguinart
May 13, 2008, 08:02 AM

Thanks for your help!

I recently erased harddrive on my powerbook 12" purposely to do a clean install of 10.5 while only keeping a few items like your self on an external. All it is just a simple drag and drop and replace the location they were before. iTunes goes under music and iPhoto is just in photos and then reimport them into iPhoto. And define "everything else". . . like are they programs? documents?

skythefly13
May 13, 2008, 02:41 PM
I recently erased harddrive on my powerbook 12" purposely to do a clean install of 10.5 while only keeping a few items like your self on an external. All it is just a simple drag and drop and replace the location they were before. iTunes goes under music and iPhoto is just in photos and then reimport them into iPhoto. And define "everything else". . . like are they programs? documents?

Basically Documents, and I will likely just re-download the apps online since pretty much all of them were freeware. And I didn't drag and drop anything to the external before I erased it, it was just all backed up via time machine...