Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindmar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
Hi ,
I need sme help

I bought my ram in Canada (where I live) to max out my g4 iBook from http://www.ramstore.ca
It showed up and I installed it and it worked. About a week later I realized it was 2700, I emailed the guy and said he was out of PC2100 so he sent me 2700 and I had gotten the better of the deal cause its way faster??

Is this harming my machine?
Should I call this guy and get the right 2100 ram?

I need help!?

I dont known what to do. The machine does not seem relativley fast wtih more ram? Why is this?
It is good ram its KINGMAX 512

Also, when I run benchmark with my ibook , the cpu test is only scorng a mid 70's ranking. Does anyone know if this is right...

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
The ram is rated to run at pc2700, but it can run at lower speeds. If you're inserting it into the ibook G4, it will underclock down to pc2100 so you have no problems there. That's why there's no extra speed increase and your computer won't blow up because of it.

Don't bother returning it--it's not doing anything bad to your computer and there's a chance the guy who sold it to you might laugh at your excuse ;)

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
yeah, no difference at all, all it means is the ram CAN run faster, but there isnt any problem running at PC2100. What are you benchmarking with?? xbench? remember that a 100 is a DP 800 G4. And since its a laptop it scales back the speed on battery to conserve power.

fraeone

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
Seattle, WA
I have always been a proponent of the "more speed can't hurt" theory. And 95% of the time that's true. I think you have answered your own question, it works fine.

That being said, when upgrading a friend's old Desktop, I had instructed them to buy some PC100 RAM. Best Buy had a sale at the time, but it was for PC133. "No problem!" I said. I explained how it's the same thing, just rated to run faster.

After about half an hour of scratching my head, wondering why the bloody ram didn't work, I took a look at the small print on the package. "PC133, NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PC100" Say wha..? I couldn't believe it! Since then I have some seen some other PC133 marked as incompatible with PC100.

The moral of this story is: buy RAM that is rated at whatever speed you need. Not only should PC2100 be cheaper, but also because one day some manufacturer will realize that they can save $.25 by breaking backward compatibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.