PDA

View Full Version : Mac vs. PC: The Truth About Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)


MacBytes
Nov 21, 2003, 10:21 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Mac vs. PC: The Truth About Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) (http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22738.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

TwitchOSX
Nov 21, 2003, 11:46 AM
Uh.. an Apple Titanium notebook? I thought they were aluminum now. This guy is an idiot. Comparing crappy low end ****ty PC's with an eMac to say "this PC is 499, and the eMac is 799" Uh.. 799 is an awesome price for a new Mac. The PC will be dead in about a year.. gurantee it.

pgwalsh
Nov 21, 2003, 12:01 PM
What did that story teach us that we don't already know?

Nothing.

1macker1
Nov 21, 2003, 02:04 PM
The PC will be dead in a year? That's nuts.
Originally posted by TwitchOSX
Uh.. an Apple Titanium notebook? I thought they were aluminum now. This guy is an idiot. Comparing crappy low end ****ty PC's with an eMac to say "this PC is 499, and the eMac is 799" Uh.. 799 is an awesome price for a new Mac. The PC will be dead in about a year.. gurantee it.

Qunchuy
Nov 21, 2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by 1macker1
The PC will be dead in a year? That's nuts.

Cheap PCs probably last a couple of years without needing repair, but without upgrades a $499 PC might as well be dead a year after being purchased. How much RAM is Longhorn going to want?

leet1
Nov 21, 2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 1macker1
The PC will be dead in a year? That's nuts.


exactly :rolleyes: Don't know why some zealots think that because a PC is cheep, it will only last a short time.

pgwalsh
Nov 21, 2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Qunchuy
How much RAM is Longhorn going to want? None at all.. You have to connect it to your brain so Bil Gates can have the number to your bank account and then labotomize you.

Nermal
Nov 21, 2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by leet1
exactly :rolleyes: Don't know why some zealots think that because a PC is cheep, it will only last a short time.

My mum's cheap IBM Aptiva lasted 6 months, then the integrated sound chip blew up.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 21, 2003, 09:08 PM
Last I heard Longhorn is coming out in the middle of 2006 and the minimum requirements are going to be
4.0ghz p4
640mb of ram (1gb recammended)

If that isn't bloatware I don't want to know what true bloatware is.

leet1
Nov 21, 2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by TomSmithMacEd
Last I heard Longhorn is coming out in the middle of 2006 and the minimum requirements are going to be
4.0ghz p4
640mb of ram (1gb recammended)

If that isn't bloatware I don't want to know what true bloatware is.

Link where you heard this? lol

640megs?<kind of an odd number of ram for them to recommend dont you think?>

4ghz ? lol :rolleyes:

billyboy
Nov 23, 2003, 05:39 PM
Doesnt sound like they tried too hard to research anything. This bloke at least went looking a bit deeper. http://macvspc.info/

grapes911
Nov 25, 2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by TomSmithMacEd
Last I heard Longhorn is coming out in the middle of 2006 and the minimum requirements are going to be
4.0ghz p4
640mb of ram (1gb recammended)

If that isn't bloatware I don't want to know what true bloatware is.

I think you should lay off the crack. There is no way ms would do such a thing. they make their money off of software, not hardware. Why make you buy a new pc to use their new os. they are going to make it so everyone, no matter how old their pc is (with in reason) can purchase and use longhorn.

I have no idea what the min requirements are, but 256 mb of ram, (512 rec) and a 500mhz (1ghz rec) is more like it.

TwitchOSX
Nov 25, 2003, 03:54 PM
Ok, if the cheapo PC is only used for email and browsing.. NO GAMES.. no added programs... just the basics of a computer, then it might last longer than a year, but once you start intalling applications on a PC the OS starts to die. I guess what I meant to say is the OS will be dead in a year. Maybe the hardware might hold up (maybe), but windows is a sack. I consider myself pretty damn good with the PC but im no developer or expert and even I cant keep the damn thing running well. The Mac though just keeps chugging along like it should.