PDA

View Full Version : Feel Free to Jack Into My IPod: Strangers are plugging into ...

MacBytes
Nov 21, 2003, 10:57 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Feel Free to Jack Into My IPod: Strangers are plugging into each other's iPods. (http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,61242,00.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

bennok
Nov 21, 2003, 04:45 PM
How does this fit into being a mac rumor? It was already posted on macbytes....

hmm...maybe I'm just picky.

jim_az
Nov 21, 2003, 04:48 PM
I'd like to see Apple ship the next gen iPods with BlueTooth broadcasting. Then you could let anyone around you tune in to your iPod with theirs and vice versa... I bet schoolkids would love it!

Az Jim

evil
Nov 21, 2003, 04:48 PM
i would definately not like someone coming up to me for that

arn
Nov 21, 2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by bennok

just for your amusement...

arn

kinless
Nov 21, 2003, 04:51 PM
This sounds just wierd. Just about all my friends have an iPod. We don't do that. :confused:

Of course, being the computer nerds we are, we don't walk in the great outdoors if we don't have to. ^_^

jimbo2
Nov 21, 2003, 04:55 PM
Hey, this is old news. I remember back in the '80s we had these things called Boom Boxes. We shared music with folks around us all the time, and it didn't matter if the other people had their own Boom Boxes or not. Boom Boxes were multi-user rather than single user, they included large (sometimes huge) speakers instead of the tiny earbuds available on 'modern' devices.

You whipper snappers think you know everything these days... ;)

strider42
Nov 21, 2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jim_az
I'd like to see Apple ship the next gen iPods with BlueTooth broadcasting. Then you could let anyone around you tune in to your iPod with theirs and vice versa... I bet schoolkids would love it!

Az Jim

would bluetooth even be fast enough for broadcasting? its a very slow connection standard. rendevous and built in airport would probably make more sense. Either way, it seems unlikely to me. though a built in FM transmitter would be a cool way to connect to your car stereo and what not, and if it had an FM receiver as well, you could do it that way perhaps.

LostPacket
Nov 21, 2003, 04:59 PM
It's only a matter of time before someone gets a virus.

Bunzi2k4
Nov 21, 2003, 05:00 PM
i would be a little stunned if someone came up to me and stuck their headphone jack in my ipod...

seven5
Nov 21, 2003, 05:01 PM
ughhhhh. And I thought it was bad when this BS story was picked up by Slashdot late this afternoon.

This was reported by one of the iPod twins (iPodding/iPod Lounge) early this week and imediatly flamed. This is such a stupid story and i think it makes iPod users looks stupid, lol.

Why couldn't anyone do this with a walkman or discman?

This is not a rumor, and doesn't even belong on this site. This is a rumor site, not a Mac Lifestyle site like macslash or something...

of course nothing against macslash.. but this article is more their context.

SiliconAddict
Nov 21, 2003, 05:01 PM
Excuse me. Do you mind if I jack in?

Weird.

gwuMACaddict
Nov 21, 2003, 05:09 PM
sounds like a good way to get your ass kicked

mainstreetmark
Nov 21, 2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by bennok

hmm...maybe I'm just picky.

Maybe, no one's really sure if it really happened.

MegaSignal
Nov 21, 2003, 05:14 PM
Funny! With terms such as jack, dock, virus, hard disc, etc., the play on words could go on for some time...

An excellent pause and respite from the drudgery of the day...

Thanks Arn!:D

pimentoLoaf
Nov 21, 2003, 05:15 PM
What should I do if someone unjacks me and plugs in? Should I invest in an iPod condom?

wondering if they make such things...

:D

pianojoe
Nov 21, 2003, 05:25 PM

Az Jim

Naaaw, Bluetooth gives you 30 yards, that's not "socializing". Given the shortness of earbud cables you gonna get to know each other much better.

killmoms
Nov 21, 2003, 05:39 PM
I think this is really cool, personally. I guess a large number of MacRumors users aren't as outgoing as I though. ~_^

--Cless

rdowns
Nov 21, 2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by MacBytes
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Feel Free to Jack Into My IPod: Strangers are plugging into each other's iPods. (http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,61242,00.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Is that safe? How do you know where that headphone plug has been. Well, I guess some enterprising person will invent some injected mold $30 rip off safe-iPod accessory.
:D :D

Dippo
Nov 21, 2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
What should I do if someone unjacks me and plugs in? Should I invest in an iPod condom?

What if you just got a splitter, then both of you could share.

I wonder what that would be called?

killmoms
Nov 21, 2003, 05:51 PM

2 on 1.

--Cless

orion123
Nov 21, 2003, 06:01 PM
That's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I hope this doesn't become a "thing"

simply258
Nov 21, 2003, 06:09 PM

http://www.iskin.com/products.html

rockman2023
Nov 21, 2003, 06:09 PM
HAHAHAHA!!! You pepole crack me up :D
I'm loving all the connotations.

rockman2023
Nov 21, 2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by simply258
http://www.iskin.com/products.html

Do those come in full-body size as well? :D

ITR 81
Nov 21, 2003, 06:26 PM
Folks do it all the time around here.

It's mostly college and HS kids.
It's a fad and for that reason alot of HS kids are getting iPod's.

Main reason it's good way to share your musical tastes and good way to get date according to some of my friends..who got dates this way. But they don't share earbuds they have their own and just jack into each other's iPod to have listen.

This could be east coast thing since i don't hear many coast places doing it yet.
And if some cute girl wants to put her plug into my jack then I have no problem with it because I'll probably get date out of it.

iPod has now become a culture symbol due to it now has become a fad.

simX
Nov 21, 2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by jimbo2
Hey, this is old news. I remember back in the '80s we had these things called Boom Boxes. We shared music with folks around us all the time, and it didn't matter if the other people had their own Boom Boxes or not. Boom Boxes were multi-user rather than single user, they included large (sometimes huge) speakers instead of the tiny earbuds available on 'modern' devices.

You whipper snappers think you know everything these days... ;)

Yeah. Right. NEWS FLASH: Boom boxes are annoying when you don't want to listen to the music that the other person is "sharing" (i.e.: forcing upon you). :rolleyes:

ITR 81
Nov 21, 2003, 06:53 PM
People still do that but only now with their loud car sound systems.

sethypoo
Nov 21, 2003, 06:54 PM
Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to get a STD, what with all these promiscuous iPod users running around.....

bobbyp80521
Nov 21, 2003, 06:56 PM
reading that wasted 2 minutes of my life...:confused:

sethypoo
Nov 21, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by bobbyp80521

Reading what?

eromitlab
Nov 21, 2003, 07:13 PM
sorry... if someone came up to me and tried that, they'd either see my back as I walk away or the knuckles of my left hand coming swiftly (and firmly) into view.

Perceptes
Nov 21, 2003, 07:14 PM
Is this topic a joke?

adamberti
Nov 21, 2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by bobbyp80521

And how many more were wasted posting here...? :D

Wonder Boy
Nov 21, 2003, 07:22 PM
I bet schoolkids would love it!

Az Jim

and teacher (like me) would hate it.

Awimoway
Nov 21, 2003, 07:33 PM
Don't you geeks get it? This way, you can finally meet chicks. You don't even have to fumble through an awkward pickup line. Just let the muuusic (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=375693&selectedItemId=375679) do the work for you. ;)

Booga
Nov 21, 2003, 07:42 PM
I never thought it would happen to me. You see, I spied this gorgeous woman in my apartment stairwell one day, and could not think of anything else for a week. One day she was bringing groceries up the stairs while listening to some music on her iPod, and I gestured to help. As it happens, I was listening to music on my iPod at the same time. We got to her apartment door and I went inside with her groceries.
As I set them down, she looked at me and smiled with a mischevious, lopsided grin. Slowly reaching for her iPod, she gently removed the earphone connector from its jack. As she approached me I could barely move-- barely breathe-- she was so close to me. She reached down to my iPod, and pulled mine out, and slowly inserted it into her....

I'm sorry, but these stories are a bit much aren't they?

SBG88
Nov 21, 2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Perceptes
Is this topic a joke?

I know. Does anyone really care about this "news" story. The funny thing about it is that almost all the Mac sites are posting this as some kind of "news" story.:p

SeaFox
Nov 21, 2003, 07:59 PM
Does anyone else find it a little disturbing all these odd social customs that have evolved from the iPod, or iTunes?

I mean, do you ever hear about people jacking into a complete strangers' Rio 600?

Is there a website who's purpose is to discuss great music on Rhapsody?

How many differnt cases are there for the iRock.

It's like some kinda iPod Culture is brewing (pardon the term).

zach
Nov 21, 2003, 08:19 PM
Well, mayhaps I'm the first one here, but I do it all the time.

I've even done it with total strangers..

wuntrikpony
Nov 21, 2003, 08:22 PM
Crazy jack sharing. That's why I keep my iPod in one pocket and my 9mm in the other.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 21, 2003, 09:05 PM
It is sort of interesting if you think about it. Apple somehow makes a community out of all their products. I mean I don't see many websites that have Dell rumors where people go fantic about their new products.

In the case with the iPod now, I think it would be cool if I had an iPod (fingers crossed for Christmas) and someone came up and switched headphones with me. But why the iPod? Why is that a reason to switch headphones. I cannot explain it, but this idea doesn't sound dumb. And you know it doesn't happen with the Napster Yapp-234u2p034u or whatever the name of it is.

Live on Apple community!

max11
Nov 21, 2003, 09:37 PM
some people posting here seem to be missing the point. the idea that the ipod is a cult symbol (much like the beetle) means that people that own it have something in common. that's the reason there are VW beetle clubs, or Holden Commodore clubs (for those in australia) etc etc etc. people get together - not to talk about their beetles or their ipods, but the very fact that they have something in common means they share in interest - in this case: music.

oh, and they most likely have a little bit of money to throw around ;) ie they're not a cheapskate.

these are all good things, and if people are going to start this weird 'jacking' thing with complete strangers, more power to 'em. they'll meet more people, and make new friends etc etc.

definately more of the etc :D :D .

to the bloke who suggested if someone tried that he'd punch em, or to the dude who carries a 9mm: i'm guessing you don't have heaps of friends??

MegaSignal
Nov 21, 2003, 09:48 PM
And you know it doesn't happen with the Napster Yapp-234u2p034u or whatever the name of it is.

Well said - and it's ingenious marketing from Apple that makes it this way. Indeed, this thread may actually illustrate the unique characteristic of what would be otherwise mundane products; my iPod and G4 Dual look and sound good and perform nearly flawlessy. But while my Dell Lattitude works reasonably well with Win2K, it does nothing to stir the senses...to paraphrase Soichuro Honda, "build with your hearts, not just your hands".

ITR 81
Nov 21, 2003, 09:49 PM
I'll be driven a Holden soon.
I've got new GTO on order for next month.

Anyway everyone that reads wire will know about iPod jacking and every Mac site will cover it for sure. Heck I think Apple is the only Apple site without something about iPod Jacking.

I should start up a site now. The iPod Club of America(ICA). Then the iPod Club International(ICI)

This will no doubt get folks interested into Macs. I'm just waiting until they start appearing in movies and become icons in movies just like Macs are.

MegaSignal
Nov 21, 2003, 10:00 PM
macrumors newbie

Crazy jack sharing. That's why I keep my iPod in one pocket and my 9mm in the other.

Perhaps you meant to say "3.5mm"?

Xero
Nov 21, 2003, 10:06 PM
man what a bunch of cold hearted antisocial geeks we have here! :rolleyes:

Seriously people, i cant believe so many of your all flustered about this, why?! i think this is a fantastic experiment in urban social interaction, and its seems a great way to hear new music, and possibly meet new interesting people. ive always thought to myself, i wish i just knew what types of music people listened to, and i could meet people (specifically girls) much easier and more naturally this way. i feel that the types of music people listen to can really tell you a lot about someone. maybe thats just me, since i have a very unique taste i music thats hard to come by, but i think its true nonetheless.

if you people were a little more open minded, you might see some real potential in something like this!

(obviously this doesnt have to be iPod specific, although the iPod does somehow give you a sense of common ground with other iPod users. but what im trying to say, is that it would be awesome if this became something bigger, an interesting trend of sorts. for instance if you saw anyone with headphones on, walking past you on the sidewalk or in the park, it wouldnt be a strange thing for each of you to "swap jacks" for a little bit, just to see what the rest of the world listens to!)

HornetOSX
Nov 21, 2003, 10:07 PM
Whats the RIAA gunna say about THIS ?

SlowX
Nov 21, 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by orion123
That's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I hope this doesn't become a "thing"

Too late: You just made it a thing but calling it the dumbest THING you ever heard.
;)

bretm
Nov 21, 2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Dippo

I think the record companies are lobbying against the manufacture of earbud splitting devices. I hear they're really going to come down hard on making your own as well. :)

ptnuworld
Nov 21, 2003, 10:51 PM
What up with that? i mean if i had a 40GB iPod and i passed it on a guy with a 10GB might just jack mines and i'm left with at 10GB:confused:

Java
Nov 21, 2003, 11:32 PM
Maybe a new dating technique for iPod users?

Not sure what to think of this.

u2mr2os2
Nov 22, 2003, 12:24 AM
I've thought about a commercial for the iPod that would be great, but they'd never make...

Young guy cleaning a pool listening to his iPod to pass the time. We hear the music he is listening to. A woman beckons from the house. He goes inside - still listening to his iPod. The woman makes eyes at him, and kisses him. Realizing the situation, we see our man run his finger over the iPod controls to quickly and easily select some appropriate mood music, which starts to play as he keeps listening with headphones on... iPod: music for your life.

encro
Nov 22, 2003, 12:25 AM
:p Audio Sex

iEric
Nov 22, 2003, 12:48 AM
CCRRRRAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZY lady

Awimoway
Nov 22, 2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by wuntrikpony

Hmmm. I've gotten a lot of spam I could forward to you that could help you out with your little 9mm problem.

max11
Nov 22, 2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Awimoway
Hmmm. I've gotten a lot of spam I could forward to you that could help you out with your little 9mm problem. GOLD!!!!:D :D :D

Ahh there's precious little humour on these boards nowadays....

ephix
Nov 22, 2003, 02:03 AM
This will no doubt get folks interested into Macs. I'm just waiting until they start appearing in movies and become icons in movies just like Macs are.

too late, they use one in Runaway Jury to hold "sensitive data" :)

cb911
Nov 22, 2003, 03:06 AM
he he. this is funny stuff. :D

Wired actually talks about it as a serious thing. :D

i guess i'd jack in with someone... if i knew them, but definitely no one too old. i'm only 19 ya know. :D

true777
Nov 22, 2003, 04:06 AM
Jeez louise, what a non-issue.
People did this in the 80s with walkmen,
and even then it was mostly a sign of teenage immaturity.

There were walkmen with 2 headphone jacks, actually.
I can hardly believe anyone could think this is cool now.

I guess it could be a crutch for the kind of folks
who'd otherwise never get approached by anyone...:confused:

rdowns
Nov 22, 2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by u2mr2os2
I've thought about a commercial for the iPod that would be great, but they'd never make...

Young guy cleaning a pool listening to his iPod to pass the time. We hear the music he is listening to. A woman beckons from the house. He goes inside - still listening to his iPod. The woman makes eyes at him, and kisses him. Realizing the situation, we see our man run his finger over the iPod controls to quickly and easily select some appropriate mood music, which starts to play as he keeps listening with headphones on... iPod: music for your life.

Stacey's mom?

theevilmonkey
Nov 22, 2003, 07:28 AM
I love how people are saying that the IPod is becoming some kind of common link to strangers...

... what an intriguing thought! Wait, no it isn't. The other day, I saw someone with the exact same cell phone as I have, and I asked them what ringtones they had on their phone. It's nothing new.

The IPod is simply a really good portable music player- that's where it ends. The IPod is no communicative tool- the reason someone is coming up to you with their IPod is because they are either very outgoing or very strange.

Ridiculous claims that you never hear other companies having this type of community are laughable- I often let people hear what I am listening to on my cd player, and it hasn't made us any more of a community.

This is the stupidest news post I've ever seen here.

william1949
Nov 22, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by theevilmonkey
I love how people .......

Ridiculous claims that you never hear .... and it hasn't made us any more of a community.

This is the stupidest news post I've ever seen here.

.....a study showed that those who read the comics first in the newspaper live longer than those who don't. Lighten up and enjoy a little light hearted fun - something we seem to have too little of these days.

Sonofhaig
Nov 22, 2003, 11:30 AM
Love the one you're with.....
Love the one you're with..... :D

killmoms
Nov 22, 2003, 12:57 PM
I actually discussed this community aspect a while ago in my blog:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/clessalvein/58243.html

Similar (though not jack-sharing, which does sound fun). If I'd been more confident and heart about this phenomenon, I might've tried it. :P

--Cless

Jerry Spoon
Nov 22, 2003, 01:03 PM
Hope you can't catch anything by doing that.

FuzzyBallz
Nov 22, 2003, 03:27 PM
I swear Jobs paid some idiot journalist to write this crap up to make iPod look like some music sharing pioneer. Man please, we got Sony Discman w/ 2 jacks in the early 90's for music sharing. Mmmm... I wonder why they stopped making dual jack portables. Right, 'cause people are not freaks. Try plugging your dirty ass jack into my playa and you will greeted by multiple bitch slapping.

lmalave
Nov 22, 2003, 03:39 PM
It's pretty hot if you ask me. If a hot chick offered up her iPod jack and let me insert my headphones, it's not hard to make the analogy to inserting, uh, other things....

Originally posted by Bunzi2k4
i would be a little stunned if someone came up to me and stuck their headphone jack in my ipod...

Doctor Q
Nov 22, 2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to get a STD, what with all these promiscuous iPod users running around.....It would be a DTD - digitally transmitted disease.

If I came across someone dancing like in the iPod commercials, except that I can't hear the music they are listening to, I'd probably enjoy hearing a little sample of what they are hearing.

pimentoLoaf
Nov 22, 2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
It would be a DTD - digitally transmitted disease.

The headphones or earbuds could be redesigned to have a virus, worm, or Trojan embedded in a chip, so that music (or data) could be altered.

And then...

The master spy could send the data via an iTrip to a passing Lamborghini which just happens to be driving by. Or, or... a low-flying ultralight which soars into the 42nd floor of a neighboring high-rise. Or, or...

Doctor Q
Nov 22, 2003, 06:00 PM
The headphones or earbuds could be redesigned to have a virus, worm, or Trojan embedded in a chip, so that music (or data) could be altered.

And then...

The master spy could send the data via an iTrip to a passing Lamborghini which just happens to be driving by. Or, or... a low-flying ultralight which soars into the 42nd floor of a neighboring high-rise. Or, or... You must like this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39066)!

HybridTheory
Nov 22, 2003, 06:21 PM
I agree with the previous posters: This definitely reeks of an underground marketing scheme. Have any of you seen the Frontline special on "The Merchants of Cool" (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/) ?

dweebert
Nov 23, 2003, 02:15 AM
Word to the wise: Don't ask your iPod-toting colleague, who only got 3-4 hours sleep the night before, "Do you jack share?" without first providing some context...

SeaFox
Nov 23, 2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
I agree with the previous posters: This definitely reeks of an underground marketing scheme. Have any of you seen the Frontline special on "The Merchants of Cool" (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/) ?

I did see that program. It was awsome.

herbal
Nov 23, 2003, 03:27 PM
It's great to see people sharing and interacting on a more personal level instead of just unanimously exchanging info online..but hey..I'm from Canada..we don't have bars on our windows or signs saying "this property gaurded by smith and wessen"

pimentoLoaf
Nov 23, 2003, 03:43 PM
Hey... now that's a great idea!

:cool:

"No, officer. It's not a weapon. It's my iPod."

Awimoway
Nov 24, 2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by HybridTheory

(I saw some of it.)
Well, a magazine like Wired kind of specializes in this sort of thing. Whether they are getting Payola-like payoffs for writing certain kinds of stories is anyone's guess.

Blaaze
Nov 24, 2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by lmalave
It's pretty hot if you ask me. If a hot chick offered up her iPod jack and let me insert my headphones

Oh how our geek fantasies run wild.

whooleytoo
Nov 24, 2003, 08:32 AM
What will we call it? iJacking? :D

mrsebastian
Nov 24, 2003, 12:17 PM
wtf! this has gotta be some undercover marketing by apple. if this isn't a setup for a commercial like others have posted, then i don't know what is?

eromitlab
Nov 24, 2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by max11
to the bloke who suggested if someone tried that he'd punch em, or to the dude who carries a 9mm: i'm guessing you don't have heaps of friends??

why... no... I DO have friends, and they have better sense than trying to put my earphone jack in someplace other than my iPod. My listening tastes are diverse enough... I know what I like and don't like. I don't need some silly sod trying to get me to listen to his rave music, or some chick's screeching that is supposed to pass as "singing." Furthermore, I don't appreciate someone invading my personal space, especially a stranger and on the subject of women... I can think of better ways to find a woman than "jacksharing."

habanero
Nov 24, 2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by lmalave
It's pretty hot if you ask me. If a hot chick offered up her iPod jack and let me insert my headphones, it's not hard to make the analogy to inserting, uh, other things....

This sounds a lot like ' Zodiac - The eco thriller ' to me (Neal Stephenson)
The oil-port...

Moxiemike
Nov 25, 2003, 12:14 PM
The barista at one of the local coffeeshops always pounces on me when i walk in and asks if i have my ipod-- they plug it into their sound system and pump my tunes through the stereo for all to hear.

I've had people come up to me after asking the barista what it is and where it came from. Cool stuff i think.

i can't wait to rendezvous IM some chick with an ipod someday. :D

zync
Nov 26, 2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Dippo

The 'iSplit' which is exactly what I'd do if someone jacked into my iPod :)