PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Upgrade Powermac G5 dual 2ghz

fkntotalkaos
May 14, 2008, 08:03 AM
Alright, I must admit, I am very late to the Desktop G5 series. After years of holding on to my G4, mostly for audio recording I finally bought a dual D5 ( I am a laptop/mini guy).

My main question is how do i add an additional hard drives to my G5 tower, what type of drive is needed? Is there a max limit to the the drive i can use like the G4's? What type of memory do I need to buy, and lastly, how do i determine what series fo Dual G5 do I have? It seems as if there was a 2003 and a 2005 produced G5 dual 2.0 GHZ model.

Additionally, I can't tell what PCI type I have and nothing is on my retail box or in the manual. I already upgraded the video card to a 9800 Mac Special Edition 256mb pro (prices are too high for the X800 XT 8X 256M and all i play is World of Warcraft, which the 9800 pro does great with)

tia:confused:

velocityg4
May 14, 2008, 08:57 AM
Any SATA hard drive should work fine, there really is no size limit yet (I am sure at some point SATA will reach its limit but it is probably somewhere in the multiple terabytes).

Your G5 can hold 2 internal hard drives (if you get 2 new ones you must replace the current one) without some sort of specialized kit and a controller card.

As for the memory if your video card was an AGP one then your G5 uses DDR400 memory (PC3200). Just get them in matched pairs for dual channel mode. edit: I prefer going through newegg.com but many people here like crucial.

For your specific model you can get detailed information about your computer with "System Profiler", in /(your hard drive)/application/utilities.
Or by typing in your serial number on Apples support page (http://support.apple.com/specs/). This will also tell you PCI type and most all other specs.

McDughf
May 14, 2008, 09:36 AM
If You Are Pushed For Hard Drive Space, You Can Buy An eSata Card That Will Allow You To Connect External SATA ( eSATA ) Hard Drives To Your Computer. Sonnet Cards Are VERY Expensive, But Lacie Do A Relatively Cheap Card Which I Have Had No Problems With. You Need To Check What Type Of PCI Slots You Have Inside Though, As The First Gen G5's Had PCI-X Slots, Not To Be Confused With The Later PCI Express Slots Found In The Newer G5's.

Sorry, Just re-read Your Post And If You Are Unsure Of Which Gen G5 You Have, Download MacTracker - It Not Only Tells You Which Type Of G5 You Have, But It Will Also List All The Upgrades Available.
Google It, And You'll Surely Find The Download.

fkntotalkaos
May 14, 2008, 11:33 AM
Will this drive work? Maxtor 1TB Serial ATA 3.0Gbps
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5524820

velocityg4
May 14, 2008, 11:41 AM
Will this drive work? Maxtor 1TB Serial ATA 3.0Gbps
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5524820

Looking at the specs it should work fine.

Firefly2002
May 14, 2008, 12:20 PM
Any SATA hard drive should work fine, there really is no size limit yet (I am sure at some point SATA will reach its limit but it is probably somewhere in the multiple terabytes).

That's just irresponsible. Of course it has a limit! 128 PB. What happens when he needs a drive that's over 128,000 terabytes, and finds he can't? ;)

48-bit LBA has been supported since late ATA, btw.

Your G5 can hold 2 internal hard drives (if you get 2 new ones you must replace the current one) without some sort of specialized kit and a controller card.

They used to sell something to enable you to fit in four drives; it was kinda expensive I think... but they probably still sell it. Kinda sad you could only fit two drives in.

If it's PCI-E, though, you use DDR2-533 (PC2-4200).

If it's a 2k5 model, it's actually a single CPU with two cores.

kjs862
May 14, 2008, 01:11 PM
I never even knew of the interface esata... when did this come out?

velocityg4
May 15, 2008, 09:23 AM
They used to sell something to enable you to fit in four drives; it was kinda expensive I think... but they probably still sell it. Kinda sad you could only fit two drives in.

If it's PCI-E, though, you use DDR2-533 (PC2-4200).

If it's a 2k5 model, it's actually a single CPU with two cores.

Because of the Video card the OP mentioned installing I figured it was one of the AGP models you are right the 2005 model needed to be mentioned. As for those hard drive kits they were/are expensive but some sheet metal and cross bracing can work wonders:D.

I never even knew of the interface esata... when did this come out? eSATA is really nothing new if you run a SATA cable from your motherboards SATA to an external slot you have eSATA. eSATA is just a SATA port directly available to external connections.

Dustman
May 15, 2008, 09:32 AM
If You Are Pushed For Hard Drive Space, You Can Buy An eSata Card That Will Allow You To Connect External SATA ( eSATA ) Hard Drives To Your Computer. Sonnet Cards Are VERY Expensive, But Lacie Do A Relatively Cheap Card Which I Have Had No Problems With. You Need To Check What Type Of PCI Slots You Have Inside Though, As The First Gen G5's Had PCI-X Slots, Not To Be Confused With The Later PCI Express Slots Found In The Newer G5's.

Sorry, Just re-read Your Post And If You Are Unsure Of Which Gen G5 You Have, Download MacTracker - It Not Only Tells You Which Type Of G5 You Have, But It Will Also List All The Upgrades Available.
Google It, And You'll Surely Find The Download.

How Much Extra Time Did It Take To Capitalize The Beginning Of Every Word In Your Post?

TheCreator
May 15, 2008, 10:22 AM
How Much Extra Time Did It Take To Capitalize The Beginning Of Every Word In Your Post?

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

benpatient
May 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
I almost didn't finish reading the thread because of that post. I'm going to block that guy...

Good grief, how annoying.

McDughf
May 24, 2008, 12:09 PM

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

Haha, sorry guys - just a habit I got into many years ago. I will try my best to get out of it if it is a bit annoying :p

McDughf
May 24, 2008, 12:22 PM
I almost didn't finish reading the thread because of that post. I'm going to block that guy...

Good grief, how annoying.

Okey benpatient, your post was a little unfriendly and rude. And so, let us review your firm ( ! ) grasp of the English Literary language shall we?

Wow! First up, there is only ONE space between your full stop and the next letter, futhermore, you leave TWO spaces between a comma and the next letter! Opposite way around my friend.
Finally, You are transcribing spoken English when you should be using written English; you use apostrophes to shorten two words such as "I am" into "I'm", and "did not" into "didn't", which can only be used in spoken English, and since you are not using quotation marks around your sentence we must therefore assume you are trying to convey written English.

So "Good grief, how annoying" yourself.

...erm, that was really petty was it not.:(
Crap, I did it again.
:):p:)