Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
I have one at work & the battery runs out (it is in the boardroom so nobody ever switches it off) constantly.

I was wondering of those who have one, what is the life span of say re-chargeable battery's if you look after it at home?

Also, what would I need for a PPC G5 to run the bluetooth?

Thanks for any replies:)

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i owned a few bluetooth mice (including the wireless mm), and the battery life was never all that great. it'd last a month, maybe two, but i can't really say what the battery life would be on rechargeables. but all you need for bluetooth connectivity on a powermac g5 is a usb bluetooth dongle.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I get a month or two from good rechargeable batteries. It doesn't seem to me that I am constantly replacing the battery. Also, I some times don't use it for a couple months and the battery is fine when I decide to use it.

Cheers.

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
But are you a good user & turn it off when not in use, or am I missing the point that perhaps being bluetooth it will not use the battery's when inactive?

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
I think the one at work is a mac mini, but I am looking to purchase it for my Dual 2.7 G5 & possibly a G4 Quicksiver.

Any good?

If so, any links chap for the dongle thing for bluetooth, or is wired the way to go?

thanks for your advice by the way flopticalcube.:)

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
No I don't turn it off. I believe that it goes "to sleep". I need to click the button or move it around to get it to "wake up".

Cheers.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
To be honest, if you have to go dongle, you are better off getting an RF mouse rather than the MM. Some of the Logitech RF mice are really good and often come with a recharging cradle so no battery worries. If you love the MM, however, then bluetooth is the way to go.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
To be honest, if you have to go dongle, you are better off getting an RF mouse rather than the MM. Some of the Logitech RF mice are really good and often come with a recharging cradle so no battery worries. If you love the MM, however, then bluetooth is the way to go.

i owned a logitech mx revolution (a rechargeable mouse), and the battery life was horrendous. after a couple months of use, i was needing to recharge the mouse every week. very annoying.

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
Sorry flopticalcube, I don't get RF mouse? Could you explain?
Reason I like the MM is because I am getting this for my girlfriend that uses my Mac to access her Cirtix server at work & isn't keen on not using her PC (right click being the only difference I know!).

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
RF is short for "Radio Frequency". Basically any wireless mouse that's not bluetooth. Comes with its own USB dongle. If you are going to be using the mouse on multiple Macs than a bluetooth mouse is not a bad idea as you could get a bluetooth card/dongle for each Mac. The mini should have bluetooth already.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
The Might Mouse looks like it has a single button but, you can actually left or right mouse click with it. I switched from a PC so I was used to the right mouse click. It took me a couple months before I realized that I could turn on the right mouse click in system preferences (LOL).

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
Thanks SO much you two for your help on this, I think a MM & a bluetooth module is the way forward (unless flopticalcube you think otherwise for the RF version as it will be mainly for one Mac).

But thanks again for your input, makes this site the best in my view as any question however hard for the thread starter is only easy if you know the answer!

Thanks again:D

Adrien Baker

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Bakersfield, Ca.
I was skeptical at first, but the poor performance of my Logitech mouse when I got my 'Pro forced me to use the MM, and I actually prefer it now. I think it's a great little mouse.

Adrien

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
The thing I hate about the mighty mouse is that I often click the scroll ball down when I'm using it to scroll. It interrupts my work.

You must have a heavy touch... :) I don't have this problem. But I remember when I switched to this mouse my hand took a little time to adjust. I had to go through the pain barrier for the first month or so. I had pain at either side of my hand

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.