Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
I have a DVD formatted for my iPhone and another copy formatted for ATV. I just understood this was the way it had to be.
However, I have both copies in my iTunes library, one with a comment that says "formatted for iPhone". That said, I told my ATV to sync this one movie and clearly it is syncing both copies because it is the same movie. Is there a way I can prevent the iPhone copy from syncing with ATV?

I did uncheck the iPhone formatted movie but upon second sync of the iPhone it removed the movie from my iPhone as it thought I wanted it to sync off the iPhone due to un-checking the selection.

icecold0913

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
NOLA
If you encode your DVD in Handbrake, use the iPod Hi-Rez setting. It allows the movie to be played on both your iPhone and your ATV without having two separate files. The quality is also good on both devices.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Ok perhaps I am confused then. Why would there be an iPhone/iPod/ATV option then if one encoding function was suitable for all devices?

Also, the difference appears to be in the bitrate and then of course the file size. I guess the only thing I can do is experiment with both formats on ATV to see if they're truly similar in quality. I don't want it to look like crap to save space/time though I'm far from an HD snob myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.