Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I've found some basic answers to these questions but wanted to see what people's experiences were on here.

I'm going to replace my HTPC (eventually) with a Mac Mini assuming they don't kill them off.

1) One thing I like about my MS remote is I can control my TV with it too, allowing for only one remote.
I've read that if I connect my TV (Samsung LCD) via VGA then when I sleep a Mac Mini that will turn the display off, but what if I use either DVI or HDMI adapters? Anyone got a Mac connected via these that can confirm whether that will standby and "wake" a TV over other connections?

2) I have Sky Freesat with a minidish and have been thinking about getting an EyeTV DVB-S TV-Tuner for my Mac. Anyone have this TV tuner integrated into Front Row? Being able to record the odd program and pause live TV through my Mini would be a real deal-maker!

3) If the Mac Mini isn't able to turn off my TV, can 3rd-party "All-In-One" remotes be made to work with the Mini?

Think that's it for now. People warned me that when I bought my iMac it was just the beginning and they were right. This could be expensive... :( :D

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
1) One thing I like about my MS remote is I can control my TV with it too, allowing for only one remote.
I've read that if I connect my TV (Samsung LCD) via VGA then when I sleep a Mac Mini that will turn the display off, but what if I use either DVI or HDMI adapters? Anyone got a Mac connected via these that can confirm whether that will standby and "wake" a TV over other connections?

Nope, not me (well, for now at least).

2) I have Sky Freesat with a minidish and have been thinking about getting an EyeTV DVB-S TV-Tuner for my Mac. Anyone have this TV tuner integrated into Front Row? Being able to record the odd program and pause live TV through my Mini would be a real deal-maker!

I don't think you can integrate stuff into front row, but I could be wrong.

3) If the Mac Mini isn't able to turn off my TV, can 3rd-party "All-In-One" remotes be made to work with the Mini?

Think that's it for now. People warned me that when I bought my iMac it was just the beginning and they were right. This could be expensive... :( :D

Maybe. My cheap solution would be to tape the apple remote to the bottom of your favorite one, then all you would have to do is turn it over for the mac :p:D.

Fact of Life #53: Macs are, and will always be, expensive endeavors. When I first hit these forums, I was aiming at the lower mac mini. I now have in front of me a $1500 imac, and all because I made the mistake of playing with one at an Apple store. Who knew. ;)

cgdotcom

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2007
I've read that if I connect my TV (Samsung LCD) via VGA then when I sleep a Mac Mini that will turn the display off, but what if I use either DVI or HDMI adapters?

AFAIK a Samsung LCD TV won't accept VGA input via DVI, even with an adaptor. I've not tried this with a Mac Mini, but the only way I can connect my MacBook to my Samsung is via VGA. DVI doesn't work.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
AFAIK a Samsung LCD TV won't accept VGA input via DVI, even with an adaptor. I've not tried this with a Mac Mini, but the only way I can connect my MacBook to my Samsung is via VGA. DVI doesn't work.

Thanks for that- my HTPC's connected from DVI to HDMI and can't control the TV in any way either.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
As for a remote, check out the logitech-harmony remotes, they have some great automating functions and can be programmed to emulate several remotes simultaneously with macros.

For example you can activate a device with it, and the remote will automatically switch your television's input to the device you wanted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.