Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I just hooked up an old CRT to my 12" powerbook. It works, but the screen on the external is very very dark. So dark that if I cannot make it better I'll have to throw the thing out.

Yes, the brightness and contrast are set to brightest. I've fiddled with all the controls in monitor prefs. as much as possible.

I got this monitor for free from my college (which didn't want it anymore), so perhaps that should tell me something. I'm assuming that this monitor is just dying and there's nothing to do. But before I just toss it, I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas.

edit: also worth noting that windows on the external seem to curve in towards the center. Not sure if that's a factor or not.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Are you adjusting the brightness with the monitor controls? Adjusting the brightness in the PB prefs will do nothing. It sounds like you should go through all the on-screen menus in the monitor and thoroughly re-adjust everything.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I can't find any on-screen menus, but I have turned the physical brightness knob on the bottom of the monitor all the way up.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
have you checked the mointer on another computer? could be that it is about to pouch and doesn't work well regardless of the computer used

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
CRTs get darker and darker with age. The fact that you've got physical knobs rather than a menu interface means that it's pretty old (5+ years) and it'll simply be very dark with age.

I had a CRT for 6 years, and by the 5th year I had to use software brightness to push it up higher than normal. That distorted the colour and made everything look a browny-white. I eventually ditched the thing and got a nice new one for NZ$395. I see that exact same model is $235 now.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
A friend of mine had it with his G3 Imac when he bought. The screen was to dark. He returned it to the store and they opened it and tweaked the hardware controls meters a bit. Every monitor or tv has this inside. You can try to open your monitor and with a small screwdriver you can adjust it!

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
You got what you paid for. If you adjusted knobs, that monitor must be nearly 10 years old. Or older. I just tried to find a monitor in the parts closet with analog knobs to see when it was manufactured but they're all digital. And some date back to 1996. Time to crack open the wallet and grab the $99 special at Best Buy. :)

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Had this happen a couple times when i started up my powerbook with the crt plugged in.

my work around was to unplug the crt, restart the powerbook, then when fully booted plug in the monitor then do "detect displays"

Always worked for me.

For some reason starting the powerbook up with the display plugged in screwed up the monitors settings.

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by Thirteenva
For some reason starting the powerbook up with the display plugged in screwed up the monitors settings.

Judging by its apparent age, I don't think his monitor has settings to mess up. ;)

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
Yup, Time for a new one methinks ;). CRTs are dirt cheap now, as everyone wants a TFT. However, I suggest buying it from a physical store (BestBuy etc if you live in the states) as shipping costs a bomb on those things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.