PDA

View Full Version : G4 MDD Pioneer superdrive doesn't mount. Not seen. Settings or dead?

ActionClaw
May 15, 2008, 02:49 PM
I recently purchased a G4 (MDD FW800, 1.42 GHz DP, Running OS 10.4.11) off Ebay that may or may not have a bad CD/DVD drive (PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105, Revision: A506). I'm a long time Mac user, but relatively new to OS X. It's entirely possible that it's merely due to a software/preferences/settings issue I may be overlooking or unfamiliar with. The seller, of course, claims the drive was fine.

What I've tried thus far:

F12 does open and close the tray

I've tried CDs and DVDs, music and data CDs, blank CDs, disks I've burned as well as commercially produced CDs and DVDs.

None automatically mount on the desktop. None appear in any finder window

I've tried several (commercially produced) DVDs but DVD player only reports "Supported Disk Not available"

Finder preferences --> general --> "Show these items on the Desktop: CDs,DVDs and Ipods" IS ticked

System profiler sees the drive on ATA bus

Disk Utility does not see it (loaded or not)

I have used Disk Utility to repair permissions on startup drive
(obviously not from the CD as suggested)

I have reset p-ram

I tried it connected to the ATA-66: again, no change. Still seen in System profiler, still doesn't mount and surprisingly, F12 still opens/closes tray!

I've read about jumper issues, specifically, with Pioneer superdrives. It was jumpered as CABLE SELECT, I moved it to MASTER: no change

My questions:

Is there any other preference setting, etc. I've overlooked?

I've read there were definite problems with Pioneer superdrives and 10.2.4. (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/feb03/021403.html) but I haven't yet found a similar situation with 10.4. Anyone else?

The seller claims, "The Pioneer A05, installed in the computer, was fully functional when it was here in our integration room. When I wiped the hard drive clean, with the OS disc that we have in house, the disc appeared on the desk top- with no problems.". Is it possible there is some "driver" or the equivalent that may have been in the previous OS but not the recently loaded (10.2.4.)?

In previous Mac systems, if a prefs file somehow got corrupted, you dragged it to the trash, emptied the trash, restarted and (usually) all was well. Is there an OS X equivalent?

Is there any diagnostics/utility either bundled with OS X or available as freeware/shareware I could use to test the drive?

Might it respond to a firmware upgrade?
(yes, I realize this can only be done from a PC)

More and more, I'm beginning to think I have a dead drive but (though I shouldn't have to do so) if I'm forced to purchase a new one, how can I confirm with certainty that this drive is, in fact, beyond repair and definitely dead?

I have a few working G3 iMac CD/DVD drives. Would they work in this as a temporary read only replacement?

What else might I try? Any and all comments, suggestions, etc are welcome!

Thanks in advance for any help. Answers to any of these questions is appreciated. Thanks!

Firefly2002
May 15, 2008, 06:32 PM
That's odd. All I can tell you is that that particular drive has native support under 10.4.x. You shouldn't even have to install anything.

Personally, I've never had an HDD die on me, but all my optical drives seem to end up going bad. Okay, I've really only ever had three go bad, but two came with the computer and one cost $150 :P

Oddly enough, I've just this second been looking into buying that exact same model for my Beige. Amazon doesn't have it anymore, so I can't use a gift certificate.. which is probably just as well, since it's about $20 cheaper on OWC's site (only $32)

Actually though, I read on Amazon that some guy who had his drive die on him ... said that Pioneer reported that some drives were faulty, and would be replaced when they were discovered to be. Of course... he had no luck with that... but it's something to think about.

I was gonna suggest making sure you had it attached to the ATA, but it sounds like you do. The cable could be bad, though. I assume since it's on its own channel its set to Master. I guess that doesn't matter.. in my experience, improperly jumpered drives keep the system from booting. Or at least they do w/HDDs... hm... better check it anyway :)

You could make sure it's getting enough power (as in.. molex in tight enough) though it's unlikely that that's the issue.

Tracer
May 15, 2008, 07:07 PM
IDE DVD-Burners are cheap as and just about any one you pick will greatly outperform the DVR-105.

Time to open up the wallet.

Tracer