Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
Let me start of by saying that I am on a tight budget. I plan to take out some kind of loan with whatever business I go with. I really don't want to go over US$1,300, US$1,500 max. I think I am sticking with the hgih end eMac with the superdrive. So I will need the computer, a wireless router, two wireless card for my Pc and the eMac. I still plan to keep my PC for storage and use my windows application. I would like the extra RAM that I see advertised(256mb) in many places. With the Apple Edu discount I can get the eMac for US$999, but $45 for ram, $89 airport card, $X for the router, $X for the wireless card for the PC, but free shipping. I checked ClubMac, and MacMall and they had the same stuff, same offers, and same prices. Cost-wise it is more expensive since I don't have the edu discount, but I get the extras like the usb floppy, printer free and memory upgrade for $39.99. I also pay for shipping, around $90. Which one would you recomend? Both have their strength and weakness, but I can't really pick one. Or should I wait until the mystery sub $1,000 machine comes out in Janurary?

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
First of all, stay away from Macmall (oh, and they own ClubMac, so...). Do a search of this and other forums and you'll see a bunch of horror stories, especially when rebates are involved. Go with the ed discount from the Apple store, and check the specials section, an Airport extreme refurb card can be had there for $79, and they usually have them in stock. Also ask yourself if you really think you are honestly going to be burning DVD's- that's a lot of money saved if the answer is no. Then you could have the eMac, card, and AP base station (refurb $169) for about $1050 ($1300 if you need the Superdrive).

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
I am not buying the higher eMac because of DVD burning. Right now I have a pretty potent PC with 60GB HD and I use most of it. The 40GB will not help me, I will run out of room as I transfer my files. And I like making backups, already lost all my info on the PC 3 times so the DVD burning might come in handy

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
You don't need to buy the SuperDrive model to get the larger harddrive. If you buy through the Apple Education Store you have the option to upgrade to an 80 gb harddrive for $45 and a 160 gb harddrive for $135. Upgrading the ComboDrive model to an 80 gb harddrive is considerably cheaper than getting the SuperDrive model.

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
So the only actual difference between the two models is that one can burn cd's. I can just upgrade the lower-end model. In the future can I add a superdrive to it?

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
No, you can't add a SuperDrive later. Both the ComboDrive and the SuperDrive can burn CDs; the SuperDrive can burn DVDs too. But yes, the only difference between the models is the SuperDrive and the default amt. of RAM and Harddrive space. You can add RAM and upgrade the harddrive though.

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
Alright now that I found out the real difference between the eMacs, this is my idea. $839-eMac w/256mb RAM, and 80GB HD. Add $79 for the Airport Card, $169 for the Airport base from Apple's refurbish. Total of $1087 and Apple offers the free shipping, and for the future I can buy an external DVD-RW if I want. And I will stop by a local computer store to by the wireless card for my PC. Is this a good deal or can I get more?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
you don't need the airport base station as a router... there are cheaper options.

also, you can add dvd burner later but it will not work with iApps. you will end up burning dvds using the software that will come with the burner.

don't bother with apple's RAM. take the 128 MB that comes with the eMac, allocate yourself about $85 and get a 512 MB stick later.

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
With the ed discount, RAM for the iBook and eMac is actually pretty much in line with what you'd spend at Crucial right now. I'd go ahead and get the RAM from Apple personally in that case, but that's just me, one less headache, and a much smaller chance of the RAM being crap than buying some generic RAM. I figure if I drop good money on a machine, and that the RAM is an integral part of the performance of the box, then I'll drop the (little) extra bread on something that conforms to stricter standards. YMMV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.