Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Marketwatch relays a Commercial Times report that suggests we will see the next MacBook revisions in Q3 2008 (July-September).

According to the newspaper, AU Optronics Corp.and Chi Mei Optoelectronics Corp. received orders for flat-panel displays to be used in the next MacBook.
Taiwan's top two flat-panel makers by revenue, have obtained flat-panel orders for Apple Inc.'s new MacBook, the Commercial Times reported Friday, citing industry sources.
The shipment target for this new MacBook is said to be in the 3rd quarter of 2008 for up to 3 million units.

The MacBook was last updated ahead of expectations in late February. Those updates were relatively modest, primarily replacing the MacBook processor with the new Penryn chips. A 3rd Quarter release would put the next MacBook revisions behind the introduction of the Montevina platform which is due in June. Other reports have claimed that the next MacBook would see "major design changes" with a transition from plastic to aluminum and stainless steel.

Article Link

tiamat1990

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
New Zealand
I really do wonder if they will indeed update the design of it. Because it's going to be really hard to sell the Pro...I guess they could do that in a black aluminum?

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Well since I need the MacBook Pro for my video stuff, when I have kids they will be getting these MacBooks :D

len5

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
California
Improved LCDs?

Let's hope Apple installs higher quality screens on these next Macbooks. The LED display from the MBA would be a welcomed addition.

len5

deputylove8

macrumors regular
:eek::D:):rolleyes:Multi-touch pad please!!!!! hheheheheehehe
:eek::(

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 7,253

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro and I need it before the last week of July (to take to the San Diego Comic Con) so I hope the MBP refresh, if it is actually going to happen, happens in the next eight weeks.

Let's hope Apple installs higher quality screens on these next Macbooks. The LED display from the MBA would be a welcomed addition.

I would not be surprised to see them get the 13.3" LED LCD panel used in the MacBook Air (or something similar).

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Whatever

Yeah ok. I'm waiting on a completely refurbished Macbook pro as light as a macbook air. I'm so not thinking about a Macbook. :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've always wondered why Apple doesn't target releases for the back-to-school and December holiday seasons. Releases in January certainly don't fit either of those. My guess is that Apple releases products when they are ready (or the next Tuesday after they are ready) and don't fret which month it is.

If this rumor is true, they might hit the school season this time.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
this is really making buying a laptop for college hard

Well, I can see that would make buying a laptop for use in all levels of education difficult.

The thing I don't quite get is how did the screen maker "know" that it was for the MacBook? The screens could be for any kind of new Apple product and they just "assumed" MacBook because of the form factor.

Personally, the multitouch Air, iPhone and the iTouch may be heralding a new paradigm shift in the personal communication/computer market by Apple. If a company can create a new market within an existing one, they can quickly "own" the mind-share of the consumer of that whole old market.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The thing I don't quite get is how did the screen maker "know" that it was for the MacBook? The screens could be for any kind of new Apple product and they just "assumed" MacBook because of the form factor.

Well if they are 13.3", the most logical model is the MacBook since the MacBook Air already has a 13.3" LED LCD panel and the Pro's come with 15.4" and 17".

The only other option would be a 13.3" MacBook Pro to replace the old 12"...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The other "major" upgrade needs to be the long awaited blu-ray drive, or I think I will wait for the next upgrade.

Those are still very expensive in the form factor (12.5mm slot-load) required. Readers push $300-400 and burners can approach $1000.

The Mac Pro remains the most likely first unit (cheaper form factor and the machines are aimed at video production), followed by the MacBook Pros.

lazydesi

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2006
Gr8 Adelaide
interestingly some results are out using centrino2 on X4500 chipset

Centrino 2 features faster processors up to 3.06GHz with a higher FSB (now 1066MHz from 800MHz in the current Santa Rosa platform). It also features newer integrated graphics, the GMA X4500.

In performance tests, the X4500 nearly doubled the performance of the X3100 in the current Santa Rosa platform. Processor performance benchmarks were less impressive, providing only small improvements in performance.

http://www.notebookjournal.de/praxis/79/1

http://www.notebookjournal.de/storage/show/image/image482aa5a547d8c - seems X4500 on MB will boost the performance up to 100% compared to current models

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.