Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
The title says it all really; what's the best way of doing this?

I've managed to get this to work by closing the lid JUST enough so my MacBook sleeps, then using a pencil ( :p ) to press a key, wait for m MB to detect the display, then open the lid and start typing. It works fine, but it's a bit of a pain.

Is there any easier way that anybody knows of - with (the dreaded) Windows most laptops have a function key to toggle between displays. Any way of getting this or a better solution on my MacBook?

thanks

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
what do you want to run your MacBook in clamshell mode for without a mouse or keyboard? do you want to keep the MacBook awake and just shut off the screen? why not just leave it open while plugged in (as you may want to leave it downloading) and then set the display to turn off after a certain amount of time or if you have Leopard just press "control-shift-eject". make sure that the time for the ciomnputer to go to sleep is set at "Never" and "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" is not ticked

it is possible to keep Macs awake when you close the screen but this will cause it to heat up by a few degrees. this is out of experience as i have a MacBook Pro and a Cinema Display and i used to run it in clamshell mode WITH a keyboard and mouse but i now run it in extended display mode which keeps it cooler.

Qwest905

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
you can keep it in clamshell mode by plugging in a USB device or unplugging one

that will wake up your macbook

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
The reason being....I've plugged my macbook into my TV and don't want the macbook screen on to divert my attention from the paying video etc.

I suppose I could go and get my USB keybaord / mouse (I hvae them both!) but what if I'm at a friend's house and only want to take my Macbook, DVI adapter and power lead?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.