PDA

View Full Version : It's Hand-Held to Hand-Held Combat

MacBytes
May 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: It's Hand-Held to Hand-Held Combat (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080516115418)
Description:: It seems as though every cell phone company is about to announce or release a new generation of smartphones -- and the rapid development pace is facilitating the adoption of worldwide networks.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

surferfromuk
May 16, 2008, 12:47 PM
I struggle to see any phone company compete with Apple's perfect marriage of OSX & Apple H/W in the long term.

RIM have had 18 months since the announcement of iPhone ( 12 since it's release) to create a competitive device - and what have they released ? A phone with some new icons!

LeviG
May 16, 2008, 07:18 PM
clearly apple haven't got every aspect right about the iphone (packages included) or it would have been an easier sell in the UK.
From my perspective, a good ui is useless when used with dated tech, theres no way I would pay in relative terms the price apple wants for the touchscreen and os, its not that good, the rest of the parts are several years old, plus I've had touchscreen for years now so its nothing new.

olternaut
May 16, 2008, 11:34 PM
clearly apple haven't got every aspect right about the iphone (packages included) or it would have been an easier sell in the UK.
From my perspective, a good ui is useless when used with dated tech, theres no way I would pay in relative terms the price apple wants for the touchscreen and os, its not that good, the rest of the parts are several years old, plus I've had touchscreen for years now so its nothing new.

Yeah dude but not with multitouch and Apple's expertise in computer design. Plus the iPhone 1.0 was just a test really. Now that Apple has dipped their toes in the water the iPhone 2.0 is going to lay the smackdown in June in over 42 countries and counting.

cheekybobcat
May 17, 2008, 11:46 AM
Seeing how popular the first iPhone was, I doubt that any other company can compete with the iPhone 2.0. Making an almost-perfect product even better will crush the competition.

skunk
May 17, 2008, 11:48 AM
Seeing how popular the first iPhone was, I doubt that any other company can compete with the iPhone 2.0. Making an almost-perfect product even better will crush the competition.I seem to remember exactly the same thing happened with the iPod.

surferfromuk
May 17, 2008, 12:28 PM

Just a tad expensive was all. As soon as they dropped the price to 169 they sold out in a week.

Question is will Iphone be back to 269 with the 3G model ?

LeviG
May 17, 2008, 02:26 PM
Just a tad expensive was all. As soon as they dropped the price to 169 they sold out in a week.

but as far as I know no numbers have been released during that period so for all we know they could have only sold an extra couple per day per store. If they sold several thousand extra then yeah the price can be said to be the main factor but its unlikely apple or even o2 will give definitive answers.

surferfromuk
May 18, 2008, 11:12 AM
but as far as I know no numbers have been released during that period so for all we know they could have only sold an extra couple per day per store. If they sold several thousand extra then yeah the price can be said to be the main factor but its unlikely apple or even o2 will give definitive answers.

Figures were released - O2/CPW sold about 20 a day vs 2 a day after the price drop.

Though I have to say if 2nd Gen is 3G, GPS, iSight, + V2.0 S/W ( with Activ Sync) + new design + App Store + currently unknown enhancements :- then it's going to be boom time all over again regardless of price...

zap2
May 18, 2008, 12:00 PM

But they know they lacked 3G, which I assume is the thing your hinting at. They planned from the start to jump to 3G, and we know its coming.

LeviG
May 18, 2008, 05:39 PM
Figures were released - O2/CPW sold about 20 a day vs 2 a day after the price drop.

So there was a 10 fold increase for all of what a week or two (yeah I know they sold out :rolleyes:) . Still not exactly rocketing off the shelves though and thats assuming o2/cpw being honest.

But they know they lacked 3G, which I assume is the thing your hinting at. They planned from the start to jump to 3G, and we know its coming.
Lets face it, apple hadn't got a clue about european mobile phone market, 2g in america is fine, the US is so far behind on mobile tech its like comparing the UK to the likes of Japan and Korea (they're on 4G or similar). They've had a bit of a wake up call if you take note of all the companies now (or soon to be) selling iPhones (3G) in europe.
Even o2 couldn't supply edge data in 70% of the UK as it would mean upgrading data tech which they clearly haven't bothered with due to the 3G version coming out :rolleyes:

zap2
May 18, 2008, 06:18 PM
Lets face it, apple hadn't got a clue about european mobile phone market, 2g in america is fine, the US is so far behind on mobile tech its like comparing the UK to the likes of Japan and Korea (they're on 4G or similar). They've had a bit of a wake up call if you take note of all the companies now (or soon to be) selling iPhones (3G) in europe.
Even o2 couldn't supply edge data in 70% of the UK as it would mean upgrading data tech which they clearly haven't bothered with due to the 3G version coming out :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what your point was....I was saying Apple had plans to address this issue from the start......as soon as Apple said "Here is the iPhone", Jobs said "3G will come in the future"....so while I understand people being upset with a lack of 3G now, its something everyone knows Apple is adding.

LeviG
May 19, 2008, 08:43 AM
Apple is adding.
exactly, come on how long has 3G been around, it should have been there from the start, not something that they're adding later, ever wondered why none of the other companies took up the iPhone v1, I bet 3G and profit sharing came into it.
The excuses leveraged for no 3G were poor at the time too, just add a simple on/off switch for 3G (like every other 3G phone) or god forbid a user replaceable battery :rolleyes: would have solved the power issue.