Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slidemonster

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Hello,

I have a macbook and a verizon USB Cellular Modem that accesses the internet (and works very well). I want to share this internet connection for a hardware demonstration for a trade show.

I have a device that only has a network cord (and isn't wireless) that I want to plug into the Network port of my macbook and essentially bridge or share the current Verizon internet connection.

Would anybody have any insight on how to share an USB Modem internet connection to a NON-wireless network port on the macbook?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Brent

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
This is what I use: Cradlepoint PHS300 and it works fantastic.

Then all you need is a wireless usb adapter for the non-wireless device to connect to the portable hotspot along with your MacBook. You can even let some of the attendees join in as well. -GDF

Slidemonster

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Thanks for the reply....

Thats a really neat device, will have to keep this in mind if I want to serve a wifi- hotspot. Great idea for tradeshows. Couldn't I just use my airport card to broadcast a wi-fi signal as well? I know this is a setup option underneath preferences/sharing.

Nevertheless, there must be way (without the purchase of additional hardware for my wired device) to do share a USB modem connection to the default network port on the macbook? I really, really, really don't want to install winblows on my machine and use their bridge feature (as for I know this works :eek: ).

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Brent

This is what I use: Cradlepoint PHS300 and it works fantastic.

Then all you need is a wireless usb adapter for the non-wireless device to connect to the portable hotspot along with your MacBook. You can even let some of the attendees join in as well. -GDF

Slidemonster

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Solution

Found it.

Underneath Sharing, share internet... my macbook only showed the airport device option, but I wanted to use on the built-in network port.

What I had to do was add another generic network device, then revisit this sharing option - and it displayed this new network port option along with the airport option. Tested it - works great.
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.