Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Sweet, they are going to be everywhere by the end of the year!

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
So we have:
01) USA
02) UK
03) Germany
04) Austria
05) France
06) Ireland
07) India
08) Argentina
09) Brazil
10) Chile
11) Dominican Republic
12) El Salvador
13) Guatemala
14) Honduras
15) Jamaica
16) Nicaragua
17) Paraguay
18) Peru
19) Puerto Rico
20) Uruguay
21) Colombia
22) Philippines
23) Jamaica
24) Australia
25) Ecuador
26) Canada
27) Singapore
28) Mexico
29) Italy
30) Czech Republic
31) Egypt
32) Greece
33) Italy
34) New Zealand
35) Portugal
36) Turkey
37) Belgium
38) Jordan
39) Poland
40) Romania
41) Slovakia
42) Switzerland
43) South Africa (not sure which specific countries)

Thank you, Wikipedia. Have I left anyone out?

Either way, I don't think Apple will have a problem hitting their 10 million mark by year's end.

trickytrev

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
Australia
iPhone 2 without carrier lock?

Do you guys agree with me that this can be in fact the biggest hint that iPhone2 is NOT carrier locked?

2 out of 3 Swiss carriers have announced it within days. (Swisscom and Orange, - waiting for Sunrise/Tele2)

FullGaz

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Funny they're not including Israel in that list. Most people here walk around with at least 2 phones, so there is a market in this small country. And I'm waiting to get my hands on one of these babies as well :D

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Poland! At least! :D

But wait a second. What about activation? There's no iTunes Store in Poland, how are we going to activate those iPhones?
Or maybe they won't need activation...?

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

zombitronic said:
So we have:
01) USA
02) UK
03) Germany
04) Austria
05) France
06) Ireland
07) India
08) Argentina
09) Brazil
10) Chile
11) Dominican Republic
12) El Salvador
13) Guatemala
14) Honduras
15) Jamaica
16) Nicaragua
17) Paraguay
18) Peru
19) Puerto Rico
20) Uruguay
21) Colombia
22) Philippines
23) Jamaica
24) Australia
25) Ecuador
26) Canada
27) Singapore
28) Mexico
29) Italy
30) Czech Republic
31) Egypt
32) Greece
33) Italy
34) New Zealand
35) Portugal
36) Turkey
37) Belgium
38) Jordan
39) Poland
40) Romania
41) Slovakia
42) Switzerland
43) South Africa (not sure which specific countries)

Thank you, Wikipedia. Have I left anyone out?

Either way, I don't think Apple will have a problem hitting their 10 million mark by year's end.

I think it is South Africa the country not the region. If I would have to guess.

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Orange for the UK too?

If Apple gave Orange the iPhone as well as O2 it'd bring some much needed competition to the UK, and better coverage. O2 sucks where I live.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Do you guys agree with me that this can be in fact the biggest hint that iPhone2 is NOT carrier locked?

2 out of 3 Swiss carriers have announced it within days. (Swisscom and Orange, - waiting for Sunrise/Tele2)

As long as there are n number of carriers and n-1 iphone carriers --- then you are going to expect sim-locking.

Even if there are equal number of carriers and iphone carriers --- you may still have sim-locking, if they compete on price subsidies.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Interesting indeed...

So...there's Orange breaking the T-mobile exclusivity in Austria.

Very interesting indeed. So I keep my fingers crossed, that o2 will be the second iPhone source in Germany.

laxmax613

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
Funny they're not including Israel in that list. Most people here walk around with at least 2 phones, so there is a market in this small country. And I'm waiting to get my hands on one of these babies as well :D

beat me to the post. i would get one but i already have orange and cellcom has the edge network. i'd put money one orange seling it though.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
In Belgium you are not allowed to lock phones to networks and you are not allowed to subsidize the phone with the contract.

Ergo that Mobistar (Orange brand here) may have them in their shops but there will be nothing to stop people off the street buying them unlocked for the same price.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
In Belgium you are not allowed to lock phones to networks and you are not allowed to subsidize the phone with the contract.

Ergo that Mobistar (Orange brand here) may have them in their shops but there will be nothing to stop people off the street buying them unlocked for the same price.

There are 2 Belgium cases that have appealed up to the European Court of Justice on whether Belgium's anti-bundling law is against EU's consumer protection laws (the cases will be heard on June 17, 2008).

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/16/technology/iphone.php

Meanwhile, Belgium is thinking about repealing the anti-bundling law.

http://www.vanbaelbellis.com/files/BE 0108-100213A.pdf

Looks like Orange is betting that Beglium is going to kill their existing laws.

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Where are the Scandinavian countries? I would think a market with over 100% mobile phone subscribers would be an interesting market.

Luckily there is always the option to buy it from USA (MUCH cheaper)

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Congrats to everyone in Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, and Poland! (and every other country mentioned too!)

Poland! At least! :D

But wait a second. What about activation? There's no iTunes Store in Poland, how are we going to activate those iPhones?
Or maybe they won't need activation...?

In one of the press release articles about new iPhone countries, they said that the new country would also be getting an iTunes store at the same time as the iPhone in order to activate it. So I would guess "iTunes Store Poland" will be here soon. In addition to just activation, every country will need an iTunes store so that everyone can download firmware updates and software from the iPhone app store! Maybe they will just leave out the Music/Video part for certain countries

Who knew they even had that technology!? :eek:

Well, the obvious place of course is South Africa, but people (ahem.. Americans) always forget that Egypt, Libya, and Morocco are also in AFRICA. All of Africa is not Lion and Buffalo Savannah. lol.
Other countries besides those four with UMTS (3G) networks include Namibia, Angola, Nigeria , Kenya, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Seychelles, and Mauritius. I wouldn't necessarily assume that many didn't have 3G networks running before the USA. :eek:

Also, if you think about it, cell phone towers are much easier and cheaper than putting down phone lines in developing countries.

Where are the Scandinavian countries? I would think a market with over 100% mobile phone subscribers would be an interesting market.

I was shocked to actually find there hasn't been any announcements! It's a NOKIA CONSPIRACY! :) I hope you guys get the iPhone too!

Yuppi

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2007

i will leave sweden if they don't announce it there soon! ;)
I have seen quite a few people around here that have an iPhone. And it really bothered me that this guy could surf for a longer time on his iPhone (and have more fun) than me on my N95 :(

But from the amount of announced countries I can only highly doubt that there is any exclusiveness is going on. I even doubt they are locked.

Nick012

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007

I guess we'll see who has the best plan suited to the iPhone. Thats what'll set the carriers apart. Still, nice to see that if I'm back in BE next year I can get myself an iPhone :)

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
I guess we'll see who has the best plan suited to the iPhone. Thats what'll set the carriers apart. Still, nice to see that if I'm back in BE next year I can get myself an iPhone :)

Chances are by the time you visit Belgium next year, the European Court of Justice will rule that Belgium's anti-bundling law should be struck down because it's incompatible with EU directives. And Belgium is going to repeal the law.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
i will leave sweden if they don't announce it there soon! ;)
I have seen quite a few people around here that have an iPhone. And it really bothered me that this guy could surf for a longer time on his iPhone (and have more fun) than me on my N95 :(

But from the amount of announced countries I can only highly doubt that there is any exclusiveness is going on. I even doubt they are locked.

Hasn't reached Scandinavia, and particulary Sweden, because we are not used to get ripped off with the kind of terms and contract that the iPhone is connected too. Only hardcore Mac fanboys would buy it, the rest would laugh in your face if you mention the conditions.

In every news item the iPhone has been connected to one or several carriers, I don't know why you think it is not exclusive, and not locked? If it truely were unlocked, we would just have one news: Apple releases unlocked iPhone for sale all over the world where they sell iPods. Apple still tries to reach as many exclusive deals as possible whereever they can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.