PDA

View Full Version : 30" display owners, running lower resolution?

Decrepit
May 16, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi there,

I am looking at moving up to a 30" display.

I have a Mini, a very small PC, a gaming PC, and a spot for a Mac Pro.

The gamer and the Mac Pro would be able to drive 2560x1600. The Mini and the small PC would be stuck at 1920x1200.

Have any of you ever tried to run 1920x1200 on a 30" display? Apple, Dell, any brand?

I appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks!

Tattoo
May 16, 2008, 04:19 PM
Hi there,

I am looking at moving up to a 30" display.

I have a Mini, a very small PC, a gaming PC, and a spot for a Mac Pro.

The gamer and the Mac Pro would be able to drive 2560x1600. The Mini and the small PC would be stuck at 1920x1200.

Have any of you ever tried to run 1920x1200 on a 30" display? Apple, Dell, any brand?

I appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks!

It looks NASTY! Out of focus and very unsharp!!

TheNightPhoenix
May 16, 2008, 04:20 PM
But does it actually work when hooked up to a machine without dual link dvi?

Or are you saying it was fuzzing using a lower res on a machine with dual link?

Decrepit
May 16, 2008, 04:31 PM
It looks NASTY! Out of focus and very unsharp!!

Good info. The ACD is aging, as many here constantly complain. I wonder if the Dells, HPs and Samsungs of the world have a clearer image.

I know there is no way in hell a Mini will ever get a dual-link capable video chip, so I might have to stay at 24" for a while. Now, if they'd make me a Mini that was able to do dual 24", I'd be back in business. But running one display is getting old.

Thanks for the info.

szark
May 16, 2008, 04:53 PM
LCD displays will always be fuzzy if they aren't displaying their native resolution. It doesn't matter which manufacturer makes it.

Decrepit
May 16, 2008, 05:05 PM
LCD displays will always be fuzzy if they aren't displaying their native resolution. It doesn't matter which manufacturer makes it.

That's not completely true.

I've been working with LCD displays since their introduction into the desktop PC market, and I've worked with a few panels that worked at several different resolutions like it was native. I read the same thing, but was able to do it. The fixed pixel size should have made some of them look pretty bad, and some did. But a couple were just crystal clear at 3 or 4 different resolutions.

Since my job headed to India without me, I haven't been able to use my old lab for testing my own configurations. I used to have 200 computers and like 50 different LCD panels. But I was never able to get them to bring me a 30". I had plenty of 14 - 24" displays, but none of the big guys.

So, I'm holding out hope that somebody says "I have the X brand 30" and it looked really nice at 1920 for when I needed it."

If I do end up biting the bullet and moving to a 30", I would use RDP and VNC to use the 1920 guys. But it kind of defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do with my configuration. :-)

GoCubsGo
May 16, 2008, 05:18 PM
I ran my 30" using 1920x1440 and it looked decent to me. I had to do this to determine if my display was causing an issue with my laptop or if it was something else.

Decrepit
May 16, 2008, 05:27 PM
I ran my 30" using 1920x1440 and it looked decent to me. I had to do this to determine if my display was causing an issue with my laptop or if it was something else.

What brand and model was it? The Apple 30", or somebody else's? Thanks for the info.