Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2002
BBC Story Here

I had no idea that this ever happened. (Even though the story mentions several times that most people still don't know... I still felt like this is something that I should have known...)

I am utterly shocked and my sympathies go out to the Ukraine.

Judo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2002
New Zealand
Thanks for the post Stelliform. I think you'll find that there are many, many more atrocities like this that we haven't heard of either.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Wow, I knew about this, but not the specifics....just that Stalin was right up there with Hitler in this regard and that he had killed millions while in power.

D

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
The reason most people don't know about this event is because there is not a good enough story here for hollywood to make a movie out of. No army, war, or anything else people want to see in a historical movie. Just the government taking their food away from them. Who is going to make a movie about people losing their food? So even though 7-9 million people died (which is about the same as how many jews died in WWII), probably 95% of the general public has no idea what happened, and never will. My great grand parents came from there about 15 years before this happened, and they were afraid the russian authorities would come to get them for years. Unfortunatly this fear made it hard to extract genealogical information from them, as any time someone asked any questions about their history, they were suspicious of you, and told you nothing. For more info on the matter click below:

click here for info

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Wow, I knew about this, but not the specifics....just that Stalin was right up there with Hitler in this regard and that he had killed millions while in power.

D

Yeah I was about the same. I knew people said that Stalin was live Hitler, but they never offered an explanation of why he was bad.

Starving to death in a fertile land. Horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.